LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
If this car is going to be a street cruiser, the smoother ride will come from a torsion bar car over a coil over spring car with all thing being even. I have driven both and riden in both.
If all things were really equal - including the spring, anti-sway bar and damping rates - the coil-over has inherently less friction than a damper/torsion bar combination. Any different between the ERA and Contemporary derives from the E-Type's street origin and the ERA's more performance emphasis. But most people are very impressed at the ERA's Street Friendliness anyway.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My car has been improved over the last 12 years

Dennis Mosley ERA has updated my car over the last 12 years. Changes done to my car
Power steering system added
5 point wrap around roll cage added that is removeable.talled main hoop bar. No cutting of the body was done. left side wrap around bar fits inside of the door.
Have custom 1st hood with louvers built into it. helps remove hot air from motor.
Custom Paxton hood added. Down side looks great and nasty but at 120 mph the car starts to lift, not good.
Car had body extensions behind both seats for 17" wheel to fix. I run 335/35 R17" on the rearend without any tire rub.
Change from 11" rotors to the 12" rotors and dual piston calipers. Yes the car does stop faster. It almost puts you through the windshield without belts on.Other upgrades are going from S-W gauges to Smith ones.
The list is almost endless with what ERA can do for you and your car. I looked at the air lifts at all 4 corners for ease for working on the car.
ERA has a full time engineer who can get built anything you need, within limits for an old cobra or new. Bob can engineer it and Doug can get it installed and working perfect. I have seen cars at ERA with stereos, AC, soft tops, under car exhaust systems for a quieter car. I think they can do hard tops too.
I passed of going from out broad brakes at this time. I run inboard with small fans for now. I am going to end the track stuff and send the car back to ERA for Paint and get the car back to street setup where I can drive it on the street.
All it takes is money and time. I found that winter is a slower season for ERA to add things to your car and you have less down time in the good driving weather.
I'm sure that some of the Contemp guys have also do upgrades to there cars and will be more that willing to help you with any changes or point you in the right direction for help.
I was hoping to hit the mega or powerball lottery, wanted to have the foot boxes changed to fit a SOHC motor under the hood or good nuts with a twim paxton setup with better blowers. ERA has built 1 or 2 of these cars also. ERA stands behind their product and customers for life. There are other companys here that do the same too. That is for a different thread. Rick L. PS You can setup any car to do one style of driving over another. The change would be to the spring rates and shock metering setups. IMO and doing changes to my car, the street setup that comes form ERA is an all around driving setup. Going to the track 95% of the time and see pictures of the car working required a changes in shocks and spring rates to have the car turn flater and not push when turning. Last thing, I have 2 GMC trucks, one has coil springs in the front end and one has torsion bars. Both are 1 ton trucks. Either loaded, empty or towing, the torsion bar one is smoother when driving. You can soften up coil over springs with a lower spring rate and get that same ride as torsion bars. Rick L.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 05-15-2011 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: ZZZ
Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Even if you are buying a "kit" to assemble / build yourself - ERA will sell you body / chassis / components - in any stage of assembly you desire. Straight from the mold - or painted roller - "you do the rest". As far as the wait - it depends on the timing. I was lucky - got a chassis # in 3 weeks after putting my deposit down on my FIA. Biggest delay was the paint shop - not an ERA facility. Deposit to "in the garage" for a turnkey was 12 months. Could have had an unpainted roller in 4 months. Every one is different. I am convinced that ERA has the best chassis / glass body / custom suspension package on the market.

Little design / engineering features: Chassis member wraps around the rear of the passenger compartment at shoulder height. Many others are "pure ladder" frame chassis.
The DOOR LATCHES are mounted on a steel plate that bolts onto a steel chassis member. I have seen others in which the door latch is mounted onto a glass block that is part of the glass body. Which one is stronger? Which one will hold a screw? You could probably LIFT and ERA by the two door latches. Some cars have an "adaptor kit" that permits you to mount an emergency brake. In some cases cutting a hole through a glass tub (passenger compartment" and mounting it to the glass tunnel). ERA? The chassis is designed with welded steel brackets that hold an original Jaguar Ebrake assembly, and the passenger compartment is finished in aluminum panels - identical to the original car.

Whether you are going to buy a turnkey or build a "kit", you really need to invest some frequent flyer miles and take a trip to ERA in New Britain, Ct. Peter is a caraholic. I was visiting at one time during my FIA's build, and Peter spent a good 30 minutes or longer with 2 guys who had purchased a STREET BEAST kit - and couldn't get help from their factory. Peter gave them a tour of the chassis & glass shop, the finish shop - listened to their particular problems - and gave suggestions on how to resolve their problems. He closed with "hey guys, stop in any time, I'll help you in any way I can".

Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even consider buying a glass cobra from anyone but ERA. Now an aluminum body - then - unless Peter is doing something he has not mentioned to the public - you have to have a chat with Kirkham.

Last edited by Rickd; 05-15-2011 at 06:10 AM..
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Peter P has long stated CCX cars were their primary competition. ERA has gained points from decades of continued business ie: revisions which if Burtis was not a golfer and more a car builder would have edone as well. Both CCX and ERA have made consessions in the past to cover a larger range of build parts and MFG ease. Example is ERA uses a larger trans tunnel to account for wide range of units, they have engineered a custom frame and they set up an easier to use pedal box.

Which is better? They both are..... Buy what you like and can afford to drive the worst thing is someone that buys one then leaves it home..

Buzz thanks for the footnote...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

This one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Contemporary remains one of the most respected Cobra replicas ever produced.
You're welcome - it's only the truth.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Buzz. It certanly sounds like you are getting your money's worth out of your car. I like that. ERA has really supplied you with great support. For me however, with the exception of the body extentions custom hoods and roll cage, that I of course would not need for street driving, all of your upgrades are something I would do myself. I like to tinker with things and that is one of the things I miss about not having my cobra. I will say in the old days when EM was in FL it was nice to have the support of Bob S when I was thinking of doing something. After that support was gone, I found a wealth of knowledge here in the Houston Cobra club. With that group of guys, and a couple cases of beer, there isn't much you can't do with a Cobra of any make.

Rick D,

Thanks for the info, It has always been my impression that with ERA, you bought their whole kit or you got nothing. At least that is what Peter told me back in the late '90's when I talked to him. It's been a bunch of years so it sounds like things may have changed. If I decide to go with a kit to build again, ERA is on that short list for many of the reasons you & others mentioned. btw, my EM's latches were mounted in metal as well. I really liked that. The E-brake thing was one of the design issues that I didn't like. I do like the fact that it is attached to the frame in the ERA

1985 CCX,

"the worst thing is someone that buys one then leaves it home.."

I could not agree with you more!

Looks like both cars would be fine for my needs. I feel like I have more info of things to look for and to think about while I am making my decision. I picked both of these cars to ask about because of both of their long standing reputations and I knew I could get some great information from you guys. Thank you very much.

I still have to decide whether to buy or build and I actually have 3 cars on the buy short list and Just so happens that the are the same 3 I had on my build list back in 1998. I have 4 on the build short list. All for different reasons. I'll spare you guys a thread on on my build choices, That would require popcorn and it's all be rehashed on this site by others countless times. HCC members, I may not be so kind you guys. Jim, if I go down that road, expect a call.

Like I said before, I'm still a bit off from making the final decision but I will let you guys know, which car I choose to drive the wheels off of.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's a Contemporary for sale in Atlanta. It is advertised with a sideoiler. ...and a video so you can hear what it sounds like.

1966 Shelby Cobra Replica for sale at Streetside Classics

Last edited by crASH; 05-16-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd have to question the gauge set up on that one. I guess at least the passenger would know how fast you were going.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by crASH View Post
Here's a Contemporary for sale in Atlanta. It is advertised with a sideoiler. ...and a video so you can hear what it sounds like.

1966 Shelby Cobra Replica for sale at Streetside Classics
If you look at the side views of that car you can see, particularly in the rear, that the bodywork is raised up so high above the chassis that it makes the roll bar look small. I think its a shame that they made such poor decisions modifying their bodies that way on an otherwise excellent car. And its even more of a shame that many believe that's the way a Cobra ought to look since Contemporary is constantly touted as "the most accurate Cobra replica". It simply is not so.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA, because it does help if you deal with a company which is still in business.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

While I love my ERA Cobra (I've now owned 3 of them ), I would not hesitate to buy a used Contemporary if it was put together right.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

My bias should be apparent.

The first Cobra replica I ever saw "in the flesh" was parked in the show room of Larson Ford (now gone) here in White Plains in the early 80's. It was a Contemporary which at that time was being produced in Mt. Vernon (and later in Mamaroneck) located less than ten miles away from my home.

As I researched the competition that existed back then, I found ERA in New Britain, literally a town over from where my mother in law lived at the time.

The other replica companies at the time were either on the west coast or in the heartland and I felt it was important to deal with a company that was reasonably accessible. So, back and forth between the two companies I went, undecided as to which one to deal with. After much agony, I decided that I would put a deposit on an ERA427SC kit in the spring of 1985.

A couple of months later, I went out to the SAAC Convention held that year at Great Gorge and Pocono. Sunday was the car show and there, side by side, were an original 427, a Contemporary and an ERA. The difference between the ERA and the original car were virtually indiscernible from a few feet away. It was clear that the Contemporary body, however, had been modified. It appeared that it had been "sectioned" and an inch or two added to the height of the car. This could be most clearly seen in the distance from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the body and in the height of the front and rear fenders over the wheels.

Over the years since that first introduction to these cars, I have been to numerous car shows and seen many cars "good, bad and ugly" from a number of manufacturers. Ultimately, a great deal depends on the skill and integrity of the assembly and finish of any car, but I have never regretted my decision to deal with ERA in the decades since handing that first check (of many) to Phil (Peter P. was off at lunch, as I recall) at the shop on Dewey Street.

Contemporary is now, regrettably, long gone. My observation was that they made a good car, particularly after they altered the rear suspension to utilize a Watts link to locate the outer uprights.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 05-17-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not quite sure but I'm sort of getting the feeling that Buzz doesn't like CCX
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose it comes across that way, but I do respect the overall quality. I just can't reconcile with the looks of the car and it peeves me a bit to constantly hear Contemporary being billed as the ultimate glass replica in terms of accuracy! I don't think I'm offending anyone (at least I hope I'm not) as the Contemporary faithful remain true and probably just dismiss me as being out to lunch.