26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 302
Not Ranked     
Default Moving my exhaust more under the car.

I just bought a FIA, though I love the car I noticed that the pipes are extended from the body like side pipes, however when looking at the original they seem to sit more like under car exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel. Since I have small kids, what will it entail to fix this?

Picture of my car
Club Cobra - Newsnake's Album: My new cobra - Picture

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the purchase. Nice car, nice colour.
I can't quite make it out....does the exhaust exit through the body just behind the front wheel, a la 427?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-28-2011, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Mike, Nice! The Viking (brittany) blue is a great color. When I had seen the car listed I didn't notice that the pipes stuck out so far. It's a Great idea to move the exhaust so that you can avoid "snake bite". It would still be a good idea to lift the kids out of the car. You don't even have to touch those side pipes to get burned just get close and they will get you. Please don't ask me how I know.

Jim
Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

The very reason why when building my car we clearanced it for undercar exhaust.Made clearance in two places,one under the seats for mufflers, the other, cross member where frame goes up over rearend cutout to give pipes more road clearance.Lowest part of car is the bell housing flange.Also had to use a clutch cable rather than linkage on the big block.Not a fan of hydraulic clutch! Exhaust sounds great and for me the cars lines seem to stand out more without side exhaust.Good Luck
Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Unique tends to set them up this way... it is both for ground clearance and to keep the heat out from under the car. However they have set them up more to the original. I plan to do mine with a more original pipe setup as you want to change yours. I have photos of this setup.

If I remember correctly, there are some theads over on the Unique forum that deal with mounting the sidepipes... but I can't remember exactly... maybe something about hard vs. soft mounting points... Join the family, check it out, and post your question over there. In fact, see ya over there!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wonder if a muffler shop could cut the pipe behind the tire and shorten it. That would move the pipe more towards the center and under the car more like an original.
Not sure what the frame is like on a Unique or if it would interfere with it.
Larry
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 502 Chev
Not Ranked     

I built my "82 Contemporary with 3" from the collector into Flowmaster mufflers up and over out the rear exhausts. Would do it again if given the choice for all of the obvious reasons. Looks good, sounds good and safer !
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had no choice but to keep the exhaust inside the main frame rails on my car.Had to give the rear cross member support area serious attention.In the end lost no strength gained a good looking exhaust system.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input everybody.

Glen: It seems to be set up with the same demensions as standard under car exhaust just extended from the body, PBUB explained above that this is standard and after viewing the FIA on the website this appears to be the case.

James: I will definitetly take extra care not letting my little men get near the pipes until I figure out what to do.

Larry & Bruce M: I am going to the muffler shop to see what is possible, I have very few funds so cost might be a deciding factor.

Thanks again for the help,
Mike V
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the input everybody

Thanks for the input everybody.

Glen: It seems to be set up with the same demensions as standard under car exhaust just extended from the body, PBUB explained above that this is standard and after viewing the FIA on the website this appears to be the case.

James: I will definitetly take extra care not letting my little men get near the pipes until I figure out what to do.

Larry & Bruce M: I am going to the muffler shop to see what is possible, I have very few funds so cost might be a deciding factor.

Thanks again for the help,
Mike V
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Last edited by LightNFast; 08-22-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lightnfast, You are so right.