Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default EFI Electric Fuel Pump

Over the last 10 years, I'v had to flat bed the Cobra twice for mechanical failures. Both time it was for a failed Aeromotive A1000 pump. Fortunatly, I had a spare both times, so down time was minimal. But I don't want to be replacing the pump every few years. I need a good electric pump that will last.

I'm making 600+hp on E85, at 42psi. So I need a minimum of 65 gal/hr (432#/hr).

I looked at both Weldon and Magnafuel. Both considerably more expensive than Aeromotive. Not that concerned about the price, as long as the part will last. I also looked at Quick Fuel, but they're for carbs.

Any thoughts/experience with either Magnafuel or Weldon?

Any other part I should be looking at?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow, only because it would be easy to mount in my car, in place of the Aeromotive.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Go with the Weldon. They are all metal and rebuildable. I went through the same decision process. Both the Aeromotive guys and the Magnaflow guys told me if you use their pumps for street-driven cars (even with a return), ideally you should stop every hour or two of driving to let the pumps cool. This scared me. I ended up going with the Weldon - they say you can use the right pump without any restrictions. The other nice thing about a Weldon is that you get a spec sheet for your actual pump that tells you the performance, and it will be better than the generic specs for the same pump on their website. I only have about 750 miles on the pump, but it has been good so far, and the Weldon people and the quality of the products strike me as being very good.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Over the last 10 years, I'v had to flat bed the Cobra twice for mechanical failures. Both time it was for a failed Aeromotive A1000 pump. Fortunatly, I had a spare both times, so down time was minimal. But I don't want to be replacing the pump every few years. I need a good electric pump that will last.

I'm making 600+hp on E85, at 42psi. So I need a minimum of 65 gal/hr (432#/hr).

I looked at both Weldon and Magnafuel. Both considerably more expensive than Aeromotive. Not that concerned about the price, as long as the part will last. I also looked at Quick Fuel, but they're for carbs.

Any thoughts/experience with either Magnafuel or Weldon?

Any other part I should be looking at?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow, only because it would be easy to mount in my car, in place of the Aeromotive.
I had aeromotive and it did not last either, put a Bosch in and no troubles since then, the pump is on it's third engine.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Knock on wood. ..my a 1000 has been in my car for 14 years with no problems
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Weldon makes a very good pump. "Big plus" Not required to be a gravity feed (can be mounted on top of tank).

I would also look at FueLab. Pump has INTERNAL speed control. No experience with this pump but would like to try one.

Mark
Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fuelab. That's the other name I was trying to remember. I haven't heard very much about them, but what I have heard has been good.

Weldon is expensive, solid steel, and rebuildable. But I want a pump that never needs to be rebuilt. Will it last for 30-40K miles?

What about the Holley billit pump? They claim to be a 100K mile pump.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4815
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Knock on wood. ..my a 1000 has been in my car for 14 years with no problems
Me too... I have had zero problems with mine for the last 9 years and 2300 miles. It's internally mounted though so it's cooled by fuel. Also using the pump controller.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX4815 View Post
Me too... I have had zero problems with mine for the last 9 years and 2300 miles. It's internally mounted though so it's cooled by fuel. Also using the pump controller.
You only get to drive your car 250 miles a year? I drive about 3,500 miles per year - more or less. And racing can really take a toll on a car.

I considered mounting the pump inside the take - not hard to do with a fuel cell.

The down side of that is it can be difficult to get to when replacing it in a parking lot. Which I did the first time it failed.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup... that's about it. 250 miles or so a year.

I had no other choice but to mount it internally with the 42 gallon fuel cell. The pump needs to be located as close to the pickup height as possible. And it wasn't easy to mount internally as I had to remove the tank and ship up to Fuel Safe. They wouldn't sell me the required materials to mount myself as they were proprietary items that they didn't want to sell to me directly.

Good luck with your search to solve your problems.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob I would give FueLab a call. Having variable speed control should Keep the pump cool.I spoke with FueLab a year or so ago (nice and knowledgeable).

If u talk to Kinsler or Hilborn there is only one pump they sell and its a Weldon.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot to add that I am using the digital speed controller with my A1000
Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personally I didn't like the complexity of a controller. If you use a Weldon with a return line it will run cool enough. If you can spend the money I think it's the most reliable solution. Their construction and design are superior as far as I could tell.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It specifically says to run the controller for street applications. Without it the pump runs at full speed all the time. I try to follow manufacturers recommendations with things such as this. As I said before I have had zero problems with this setup.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you use a mechanical bypass then the pump is ok running at full speed. It just dumps what it doesn't need into the tank. You just don't want to run a pump flat out in a deadhead configuration.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm sorry but you are wrong at least for the A1000. If you run the pump at full speed continuously you are creating unnecessary heat to dissipate. That's the whole idea for the pump controller... to modulate the speed of the pump according to demand. Possibly a good reason for the OP pump failure (if he isn't running the Aeromotive controller for that pump)

Hey whatever... I'm just saying how I installed mine and what works for me. And... I do have a return line back to the tank. Below is from the Aeromotive website.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I may be wrong about this, but I think most OEM pumps are located in the tank and do not have speed control. Those pumps remain cool by being immersed in the fuel and last 100k+ miles.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I think most OEM pumps are located in the tank and do not have speed control. Those pumps remain cool by being immersed in the fuel and last 100k+ miles.
I agree but the A1000 is a higher performance pump for racing purposes than what's found in OEM applications.

I do think Weldon is a better pump but back in the day the A1000 is what was recommended by the shop helping with my EFI installation and setup. I do have a Weldon pump in my supercharged C5 Z06 along with a Boost-A-Pump... again a modulated controller that increases the output of the pump as demand increases. The last thing you want while under boost is fuel starvation. As i understand the BAP uses pulse modulation to control the pump and boost pressure when needed.

More about BAP here:
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...heory_kens.pdf
Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lippy
What kills a fuel pump is heat and cavitation. OEM pumps are mounted in the tank to control heat and cavitation. They are designed to provide just enough fuel to get the job done. Fuel pumps mounted outside of the tank (after market) wear out prematurely due heat and cavitation (even Weldon pumps).
Bigger is not better. The Fuel pump should be big enough to handle the job but anything over what is required creates heat and aeration in the fuel.
For longevity and better performance controlling the speed of the pump will keep heat down on the pump as well as the fuel. Aeration will be reduced due to minimal fuel being bypassed back to tank. A poor designed fuel system will kill a fuel pump in a hurry.
Some of the most common mistakes i have seen. 1. Too big of pump. 2 Return fuel dumped right on top of pickup. 3.Too small of supply line to pump (supply line should be larger then output). 4. Pump mounted to high and to far from pickup.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

My A1000 has lasted for many years here in the Phoenix heat. It is mounted in the tank and I run the PWM controller they recommend. Works fine for me.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You guys ought to take a look at these pump alternatives, click here => In Tank

This will support over 1200 HP supercharged. Of course you can also pick smaller pumps for lower power thresholds. The pumps are high capacity OEM style and last forever — for all intents and purposes.

To install you need to put a hole in the top of your tank and either weld a mounting flange to the tank or put one inside tank top that you can bolt to.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.