Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Quickest 1/4 Mile Time by a Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/112517-quickest-1-4-mile-time-cobra.html)

Jeff Frigo 09-12-2011 02:22 PM

Quickest 1/4 Mile Time by a Cobra

It doesn't have to be yours, and please no abortions.

Jerry Clayton 09-12-2011 02:40 PM

Well I'm planning on a high seven at around 180 ---and it will be mine but not til next season----and then to Bonneville salt flats

marcocsx3121 09-12-2011 04:24 PM

I'd put some constraints on the question, such as I.R.S. per the original, no forced induction or NOS, and maybe a couple of other niggly items. Given the light weight, assuming traction issues could be managed and aerodynamics doesn't kill the top end, I'd guess low 9s or even high 8s could be managed. Most streetable replicas would be overjoyed to cut a high 10.

AL427SBF 09-12-2011 04:43 PM

I would limit it to a simple criteria, if it's street legal and licensed - whatever you have is fair game ... light 'em up!

Hotfingrs 09-12-2011 05:18 PM

My best is 9.52 with a 1.38 60' and an IRS.....ALL MOTOR and Cobra weighs 2600 lbs. Pump gas and Mickey Thompson Street ET's

ItBites 09-12-2011 05:33 PM

10.69 at 129.83mph (with a 1.7 60') on pump gas and street tires (not drag radials) with IRS. No power adders of any type. Car weighs 2650 lb.

Karl Bebout 09-12-2011 06:14 PM

Anybody notice that the guys going really quick, are running Bow Tie Power? That being said, there is a guy(Greg) in the Phx. area that I saw run consistant mid-10s with his beautiful SPF with a 427 SBF Rousch. Nothing 0-60', since he didn't want to blow his IRS, but WOW, did that thing get with the program! Well over 130MPH showed that he had power to get into the 9's or at least real close, if he would have come off the line hard. I'm a die hard Chevy guy, but if I had a whole lot of money to spend on a motor, I'd be taking a look at one of these NASTY Blue Oval brutes.

Barnsnake 09-12-2011 07:00 PM

If street legal is the criteria, I expect Colin Mullaney would be a serious contender:
7.96@170 mph. Street legal, tagged, and insured.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...combo-s-2.html

csx4910 09-12-2011 09:30 PM

Am I mistaken or did Karl, the king of the bow tie fanatics, give us ford guys a back handed compliment? I can now die a happy man:D

Seriously I am looking forward to at least giving mine a go down the track, Is it firebird that still does the run what you brung on friday nights? I haven't ever done "formal" drag racing(informal is another story. Besides a helmet, what else is required?

Hotfingrs 09-13-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Besides a helmet, what else is required?
Depends on how fast you go, they might require arm restraints.

mdross1 09-13-2011 05:45 AM

There was a time when the numbers meant everything to me,now it's all about bottom end grunt.I am the only person that needs entertainment so all my fun is had rowing through the gears,out away from any conjestion,an occaissonal smoky burnout,firing the car up in the shop with a brewskie in hand.All great forms of pleasure for this cat.Still enjoy reading about the big guns so keep it up.

twin turbo 09-13-2011 06:57 AM

Are we talking 90" wheelbase cars or is anything allowed? If anything is allowed Colin has the fastest in the 7's. Cheers.

twin turbo 09-13-2011 07:25 AM

For 90" wheelbase Steve Berg's (twin turbo sbf) FFR went 9.130 in the 1/4 and he drives it to work every day (weather permitting). I know his car is faster now but he only has a single hoop roll bar (ouch) and has been booted from the track. Cheers.

Jeff Frigo 09-13-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twin turbo (Post 1151086)
Are we talking 90" wheelbase cars or is anything allowed? If anything is allowed Colin has the fastest in the 7's. Cheers.

Yes, 90" wheelbase. Hopefully plated and registered.

Jerry Clayton 09-13-2011 01:25 PM

do you have a tolerance spec from side to side wheel base? or possibly toe-in???