23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well OK then Colin, no ringer there. Shucks I see Cobras with a parachute, rear wing and monster slicks on the road all the time.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Nice car Colin

Colin Mullaney Colin thats a nice pro street built car. You have the record if the body is not stretched and the rear fenders are of stock width. The question is if you put or can put a 245/40-50 tire on the front and 315-335/35- 17" tires on the rear can you roadrace and autocross this car with speed? Without seeing the under side of the car, guessing on a 3 or 4 link suspension in the rearend and drag racing frontend with 1/4 mile brakes, NO This is a purpose car to do 1 thing. Drag racing. I think the question was based on a cobra that is more designed for all around abilities. No wheelie bars? With that much rubber and power, you must have the balls the size of king kong Like to see a picture on a run some time. Again great lookin car. Rick L.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Ford crate 460 with a scat crank and eagle I-beam connecting rods, aluminum cobra jet heads mildly ported. 11.72@120 on Goodyear street tires. Have to launch in second gear, first gear is too low with a 3.73 rear end.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Guyon, big block Chevrolet
Not Ranked     

You're right, I would never pretend this car is well rounded. It was built to drag race and I made it street legal. It is actually very well behaved on the street (I don't even use the electric fans on the highway to keep it cool for example).

I don't care much if my car is the fastest or not, and I'm not trying to put any qualifiers on it. It may be the fastest Cobra of any kind on the drag strip. It may be the fastest street legal Cobra on the drag strip. It doesn't matter.

It can't road, rally, dirt, slalom, oval, or any other kind of race worth a damn. It doesn't matter. I'm like most Cobra guys, I built it the way I wanted and I love it. Definitely not the best choice for most people's Cobra.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I like your car

Colin Mullaney I like your car. Without seeing any other pictures, it looks PRO built. I know you can't build an FE to the same cubes as a BBC. If you could it would cost twice the price and still not make the power you could. I do see the wheelie bars on the wall. I would like to see some other pictures of the drivetrain if you can post them. Your are right about building a car for your own enjoyment. It is hard to build a cobra that can excell in road racing, autocross, and dragracing. Randy Swantz is the closest with his car. He has won the Pikes Peak hill climb many times for his class. He does very well at the Run&Gun everyyear. He ran his car on Propane for many years. Rick L.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick, I don't have many photos other than what's in my gallery. I'll try to post a few. The engine is a 600 cubic inch BBC with Bow tie block, Callies crank, Oliver rods, Diamond pistons, Brodix 2Xtra heads, 1340 cfm Dominator carb, and two stages of nitrous (one fogger, one plate). The transmission is a two speed powerglide with a GM 14 bolt rear end (10 1/2" ring gear). The engine has previously dynoed at 880hp and reached 1370 hp with both stages of nitrous. I hope to go faster this year as I have increased compression from 10.3 to 13:1, installed a larger roller cam, put 100 hp larger jets in each nitrous system, and changed from 3.73 to 4.10 rear gears. I would prefer it was Ford for purity sake but I don't care much, I just want to go fast in a beautiful car.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thats brutal. Super Gasser didn't go that fast.

Colin Mullaney With the changes to the motor, I going with 7.30's at 188-190 mph if you can hook. You need some couch time. Hope you have a Pro license. You could carry the front wheels through the 60ft beams. Only 600 cubie inches? You must be sand bagging. Pat Musi is only 1/2 hour away, I might be able to borrow a 700"+ motor if you get serious about this. Talk about fun and games, does anyone come out and play with you? Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Good luck with the assault on the sound barrier. 6.999 at 200.0 mph. Rick L. Ps is a jet engine next??? Jay leno as one and way too much money and toys.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do have IHRA and NHRA licenses but the car's barrier is 7.50 seconds. The chassis is mild steel and can't be certified for any faster. I'm not sure what I'll do once I reach 7.49. I'm actually reassembling the engine currently and hope to be on the dyno in a few weeks.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA, S. Automotive 354 stroker
Not Ranked     

Here's mine. 302 SBF stroked to 354. 11.7 @ 116

Last edited by Unique 289_FIA; 05-18-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra times

I feel that the car needs the distributor in the front of the engine to qualify for this discusion. I had one customer with one of our FE 527 engines in a Superformance with a TKO 600 transmission. He had drag radials on the car and drove it about 20 miles to the track one day and decided to make a few passes. The best was 10.02 at 140 MPH and he was ask to not run the car after this pass so he drove back home. He put about 5000 miles on the car and sold it for a new project. The biggest problem with these street cars is getting them of the staerting line.
I took my Kirkham with a FE 527 to Run-N-Gun a few years back. The small block guys were laughing at me when it came time to do the autocross with that big block and 2x4s. Butr I got the last laugh with the best time in the autocross and the drag strip of all of the Cobras there. Had the second fastest time on the roadcorse behind a fully prepped road race Cobra. He did not do the autocross or the drag strip. This was with a bone stock Kirkham with the Goodyear billboards. The dragstrip was a little scary because of lack of traction. I had to take of in second gear and with a 1.8 60 foot time the car went some 10.40s at 139 mph. I took the clutch out with the secong gear take ofs.
I also had the fastest time at the London Cobra bash a few years back with a 427 SBF in a Superformance we did with a hydraulic roller that made about 640HP. This car was clocked at 108 mph in the few city blocks that we had. This car hooked up very well for what we were running on. So if you get the engine done right you can have a very fast Cobra with either small block or big block. You have to have a pretty good driving style as well in these cars. Good luck, Keith Craft