Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default AC Bristol

I just joined today and looking for some help from you guys. I have acquired my Dad's 1957 AC Bristol. My dad bought the car in the early 70's. He tore the car down to restore, so all the parts are in boxes. The motor/trans were sold in the early 80's and put into a drag boat. The motor was actually a built Ford 260. I have pulled the car out from his storage unit and is currently at my house. I am having a hard time locating any identification numbers (VIN) on the car. We do not have the title to the car because his briefcase (with the title) was stolen years ago. The car has been out of DMV's records since the 70's because he did not update information with them. I do not know where to start by putting the car in my name, nor do I want to devalue the car in any way. Looking at the tires and the slight damage to the driver front fender and door, I almost think this car had track time. But it still has the 6 number (blue) CA license plate on it. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should first start with the AC owners club in the UK they have detailed records of cars exported to the US. They could give you details of possible chassis numbers.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.B.C View Post
You should first start with the AC owners club in the UK they have detailed records of cars exported to the US. They could give you details of possible chassis numbers.
I agree. Try posting on the Ace, Aceca and Greyhound forum on the AC Owners Club website:

AC Owners Club - Ace, Aceca & Greyhound Forum
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It may be stamped on the door hinges or trunk latch. Might look there.
If I'm not mistaken, it will be a "BEX" series number. AC owners forum can confirm.
Larry
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

VIN numbers would be in two locations: chassis plate found on the top of the right hand foot box or on the motor mount tower. Most likely the motor mount towers were cut off to create a new means of attachment for the 260 engine. This was quite common for individuals swaping engines into Aces. Without the towers, the car could not be identified as AC or Bristol engine (assuming the chassis plate was also missing). A number of people tried registering Aces with missing paperwork and no VIN numbers and failed. Had to be assigned a new state issued VIN number.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Now that is a find...barn or otherwise.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Hi Marty. I have posted the details of this car on the AC Owners` Club forum and will report back any information that might help you.
If you can supply the registration plate number, it is possible that it is recorded in the ACOC`s Ace registers against a chassis number...
It is possible that it isn`t a Bristol, only the chassis plate will show whether it is an AEX(AC engine) or BEX(Bristol engine) chassis number, so any stampings you find will only be of the chassis number itself. As Larry said, have a look on the trunk latch for a start(possibly only on Cobras), there may be a number on one of the engine hood hinges, or the door hinges. Good luck, but you will need deep pockets to bring this Ace back to the road! Nik.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68

Last edited by nikbj68; 04-14-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Marty,
As others have said, the last 3 digits of the VIN should be on the door, hood, and trunk hinges. Once we have those numbers we can determine the rest of the VIN. Where are you located in California? If you are in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area, I may be able to help you find the numbers. I'll also PM you my phone number in case you would like to call.

Jay
Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1957 AC Bristol
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the interesting post and pictures.
Just like you the Ace or Ace Bristol registrar from the AC Owners Club would be happy to be able to identify your Ace.
How do you know for sure it was originally Bristol and not AC powered?
Was it stated on the lost title?
The motor mounts might also give a clue but probably they were altered anyway to be able to fit the Ford 260. However, if you can include a picture of both these mounts, who knows they might still provide a lead.
The chassis, serial or VIN # should be stamped on the right hand motor mount but of course only if the original mount is still present.
Regarding the VIN #, it should also be stamped at least on the left hand trunk (boot) hinge (only the numbers, not the letters). This could be a 2, 3 or 4 digit number. The same number might also be stamped on the door hinge(s) and the left hand hood (bonnet) hinge. The door needs to be bare on the inside which it probably is given the current condition of the car.
I guess you have already looked in all these places and found no stamped numbers?

Jerry
Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you all for your help to this point. I have been in contact with Tony Bancroft of AC Owners group in England. He has given me a contact to follow up with here in the U.S.

I can see where someone has cut brackets out of the engine compartment (prior to my dad owning the car). I have searched all over the hinges last night. The problem is, the car was stored outside for so long that the hinges are a little rusted (surface only) and they were painted over several times. Within the layers of paint, I see white (or maybe a light yellow), red, blue, and black.

Jay, I am located in San Bernardino, but have family in the Ojai area. I can tow the shell out to you for you to take a look at it.

I do not know for sure if it is a Bristol, just what we think it was. I should have clarified that. It's been over 15 years since I saw the title.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Below are some pics of where the vins should be on the hinges. For clarification, the numbers are not on the hinges themselves, but are on the brackets the hinges mount to. This means the numbers are on the doors, hood, and trunk lid. Since you car looks like a long boot (trunk) car, I would expect there to be 3 numbers in these locations.

Doors

Hood

Trunk

If you can find any numbers, Tony should be able to provide you info on whether it is a BEX or AEX car. I have records also, but I will not have access to them for a couple of days.

In an odd coincidence, most of my family lives in Redlands and so it would probably be easier for me to swing by San Bernardino in the future instead of you lugging the car to Ojai.

Jay
Old 04-15-2012, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not to change the subject Jay but would you happen to be going to the Hunnington Beach event for FRR's and others? I'm heading over with my brother.
Larry
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Larry,
I have no plans to attend, but also do not know when it is. Let me know when it is and maybe I can make it down.It sounds fun. Maybe the gas caps will even be in by then.

Jay
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Huntington" not Hunnington! Can you tell I'm not from CA!
Anyway, it's on the 28th of April at the pier parking lot. If you can make it great but no biggie if you can't. No biggie if the cap arrives by then either. It'll come sonner or later.
5th Annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In | Factory Five Racing

Sorry for the thread hijack Marty! Maybe you can make it also!

Larry
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you to all in the forum who helped me identify this car...... With Jay's pictures, I realized I had to get through the layers of paint to find the numbers. I have since contacted Tony, who redirected me to Tim. I am now registered with the ACOC. Thank you.....
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Keep it up, Marty! Did you find the numbers? What are they?
Can you share some more photos with us? It`s fantastic when a 'long lost' car is brought back to life!

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nik, My car is known as AEX126, and Tim has registered my car with the ACOC. Very interesting to know the documented history from the factory. I will post pictures someday when I start focusing my attention back to the car. Too many honey-do projects at this time....... for those that understand....... lol.

Larry, no worries about the high jack!!!! I work in the area of Huntington during the week. Not sure how my plans will work out for that weekend right now, but maybe I'll try and head down that day.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's really cool to find that info! How awesome.

It's a neat event, so hope you can make it.
Larry
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larry,

If I don't make it, I highly recommend a little burger joint called TK Burger for lunch...... located South of the pier, but next to Dairy Queen (North side). Address is 110 PCH. Cash only though. Steak sandwiches are very good and you can sit outside and enjoy the view of PCH.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excellent Marty, thanks! Eating is one of my best things!
Larry

Tags
ac bristol