Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     
Default Pulled Over By Police

Well it finally cooled off enough last night that I thought I would take a quick spin in the Cobra before dark. I went through town and on Rt.24 last stoplight before 55 mph I got a on it a little and quickly accelerated to 60 mph then backed her back down to 58.

While driving a mile further down the road I saw a car rapidly approaching me from behind, then the dreaded flashing lights came on. I signalled and pulled her over waiting for my fate.

The policeman came up and first out of his mouth was "is it real?" to which I responded no it's a replica. He told me he pulled me over because I broke the rear tires loose and it is illegal in Illinois to do. I know I held traction but I think all of the noise lead him to believe otherwise.

He told me it was a beautiful car and to hold it down around town, he said to take it out to the country to have fun with it and gave me a verbal warning and told me to have a nice night.

Shook his hand and told him to do the same, so did my car just get me into trouble and out of trouble at the same time???????????
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Lots of cops are car guys, they'll use any reason to develop probable cause to stop you. The last time had it happen to me I got to listen to the cop tell me about his three race cars for an hour. He finally got a radio call from dispatch, or I bet he'd have gone two hours.

So...the answer is probably no to the first, but yes to the second.

Cheers, and hope you get use to it. Every drive is ten thumbs ups and twenty "Shave and a haircut, two bits" honks, that sort of thing.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Most guys have a soft spot for an "older man" driving the "Ultimate, man's dream car", It's just human nature. Many are interested and impressed. I was.
Just be courteous.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I just got mine on the road a few days ago and I figured it would attract some attention. What surprised me is how many old ladies come up and compliment the car!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I have had my share of young ladies ask for a ride.

I know better than to give it.

John
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Cool

But it's just a ride, John... !
Rog246 likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I had a guy pull up next to me once and ask if I would give his girlfriend a ride. I looked at him funny and said no way...I had my 12 year old daughter with me. Was he expecting me to leave her at the roadside with him???

John
Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny, one morning while out exercising the snake just got done rowing through the gears in a 40mph off in the distance saw a LEO parked facing me at the same time noticed I had hit near 60mph.Instantly slowed to speed limit on my way by he gives me the slow down gesture then the thumbs up.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

That's the problem with the loud exhaust. It catches their attention. I got away with bloody murder speeding in my silver SL600. Even raced a guy in a louded up Charger, walked away from him, then let off. A cop came up from behind and pulled him over.

Being a grown man without visible tats and weird piercings helps too I guess.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I've been stopped four times so far. Three times to ask about the car and tell me to slow down. Once to ask about the car and tell me to fix a tail light. Of course I was not speeding any of those times. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Here are my 2 cents. I am a retired FED LEO (always carry my credentials) and I was pulled over while doing speed limit blah blah blah, reason: just to see my car and offered to buy it LOL.

The amounts of videos and pictures taken of my car while on the road if I was to charge I could buy gas for a year for my car.

Lets not address the female attention, that could get you in trouble just enjoy the compliments and definitely; be corteous.
Cheers
Basque 1 (Lou)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

At a local car show last week I received the "Most likely to be pulled over by the police" award. Handed to me by the Chief of the town. 420+ cars there. I'll take that as a compliment. I asked if it was a "get out of jail card," and he said no, but unless I was doing something really stupid I wouldn't get pulled over in the first place!
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On a long highway drive last spring, I noticed a black SUV come on about 200 yards ahead of me. We keep pace with each other for 10 miles and I was going about 10 over the 65 mph limit. I slowly caught up to him and passed him going 2 mph faster. I heard a siren blast for 2 seconds and then it stopped. I backed off and let him pass and sure enough it was an un-marked cop car. I pulled back about 100 yards and we drove like that for another 10 miles. Then he got off the highway. I guess he did not want to give me a ticket or ????

Same trip, I stopped for gas and a different cop pulls up to look at and talk about cars. HOW do you answer a cop when he asks, "How fast have you had it up to?" I stammered for 10 seconds and then answered "On the track I had it up to 125".

Lee
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkV View Post
Well it finally cooled off enough last night that I thought I would take a quick spin in the Cobra before dark. I went through town and on Rt.24 last stoplight before 55 mph I got a on it a little and quickly accelerated to 60 mph then backed her back down to 58.

While driving a mile further down the road I saw a car rapidly approaching me from behind, then the dreaded flashing lights came on. I signalled and pulled her over waiting for my fate.

The policeman came up and first out of his mouth was "is it real?" to which I responded no it's a replica. He told me he pulled me over because I broke the rear tires loose and it is illegal in Illinois to do. I know I held traction but I think all of the noise lead him to believe otherwise.

He told me it was a beautiful car and to hold it down around town, he said to take it out to the country to have fun with it and gave me a verbal warning and told me to have a nice night.

Shook his hand and told him to do the same, so did my car just get me into trouble and out of trouble at the same time???????????
Hmmmm, I had somewhat of a similar thing happen to me on 24 near Eureka. I wonder if it's the same officer, he asked me the same line of questioning

I think I was parked next to you at the Logan's event in June. I have the Red Shell Valley with the white stripes. Or you're not the same person at all...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

interesting comments... some of which I've experienced myself. My BDR is LOUD... with a 427W, monster primaries, & low-restriction pipes... I always worry that I'll be pulled over more for a "noise ordinance" issue than "exhibition of speed". This sparrow-fart of a town I live in (just north of car-jaded L.A.) is LOADED with police, sheriff, troopers, FBI, & other law enforcement members who call the area home. Indeed, most are car guys. Have had several instances where I rolled up to a stoplight next to a sheriff... all they did was look over & give me the thumbs up. I also found interesting the number of comments about the car being a chick magnet. My experience has been the opposite... most "chicks" around here don't give the car a second look. I guess mine's more of a "sausage magnet" LOL I'm surprised at how many "mature" men ask me what kind of car it is. Part of me wants to reply "the 60s weren't kind to you, were they?" What cracks me up is that it seems like every time I'm out for a drive, there's always some joker who will chase me down in a Z06 or something, wanting to race. AS IF! First, I wouldn't do it on the street... Second, I could care less who's faster... Third, while I've got the power-to-weight advantage, a Z06 would have the ergonomic & aerodynamic advantages. But whatever... not gonna happen regardless. When I bought mine, I vowed to NOT end up in a YouTube video with my car wadded up. To quote Peter Parker's uncle... "with great power comes great responsibility"
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM
Not Ranked     

I was pulled over last year on the way home from DQ with a burned out tail light.
The officer was very nice. He told me I could drive the car home and to get the light fixed ASAP.
Then we talked about cars for 10 or 15 minutes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm not going to give the details but I have been pulled over eight times in 10 years. Two states and 5 or 6 towns.

NO tickets

Lucky? or gray haired old man in a toy car?

Dwight
Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

this officers chew my butt because he heard me three block away when I lite them up a little. he was sitting in a parking lot with his window down. No ticket.

Dwight

Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Recently was waiting at a stoplight when an unmarked squad car turned the corner at the intersection. 100 yards up he pulled to the shoulder, waited until I passed by and pulled in right behind me. Not having a front plate may have been the reason although it's legal for collector cars in our state. Anyway he peeled off a couple blocks down. Maybe he just couldn't believe a GT40 on the street was legal!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I'm Tellin' Ya COP'S LIKE COBRAS.. and the drivers too