Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Installing mechanical fuel pump in 351W (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/116550-installing-mechanical-fuel-pump-351w.html)

Goopie 18 07-26-2012 04:49 AM

Installing mechanical fuel pump in 351W

Replacing Holley with Edelbrock in Roush 427R (351W). Old one slipped right out. When installing new one can I slip the other in or do I have to worry about cam lobes? Any other tips or concerns?

madmaxx 07-26-2012 05:32 AM

If the fuel pump is hard to push in, just turn engine over, just depends where lobe is at you won't know that until you install, the challenge will be getting the bolts in, not a lot of room for wrench when engine in car, I used Allen head bolts.

Goopie 18 07-26-2012 07:07 AM

MadMax, bolts were a pain to get out. Also the fittings were a pain to remove. As usual, 2 hour job turned into a marathon.

lovehamr 07-26-2012 07:08 AM

If the old one slipped right out without being under spring tension, and you haven't rotated the engine, then the new one will probably go in fairly easy. I agree with the allen heads, can't hurt.

madmaxx 07-26-2012 07:25 AM

the bolts with the greatest taper near the end will go in the easiest. i wasted 4 hrs with the stock bolts then got some allen head and they went right in.

Tom Cimino 07-26-2012 08:25 AM

Put a dab of assembly lube on the fuel pump arm.

bobcowan 07-26-2012 04:05 PM

As you know, the fuel pump eccentric is simply a circle with an off center hole, bolted to the front of the cam shaft. Ideally, you would want the rotating assembly positioned so the eccentric is higher at about 12 o'clock. The only way to know that is to look. You need a bore scope type tool - like a See Snake.

The new one is usually more difficult to put in than the old one was to take out. Even the low side of the eccentric places some pressure on the pump arm. The new pumps tend to be stiffer than the one it replaces.

I agree with the above. Use an allen head bolt and washer, and taper the end. Be sure to use thread sealant - some bolt holes may extend into the crank case. Even if it's only by a tiny bit - or even a small crack - you'l get a frustrating oil leak.