17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Installing mechanical fuel pump in 351W

Replacing Holley with Edelbrock in Roush 427R (351W). Old one slipped right out. When installing new one can I slip the other in or do I have to worry about cam lobes? Any other tips or concerns?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the fuel pump is hard to push in, just turn engine over, just depends where lobe is at you won't know that until you install, the challenge will be getting the bolts in, not a lot of room for wrench when engine in car, I used Allen head bolts.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

MadMax, bolts were a pain to get out. Also the fittings were a pain to remove. As usual, 2 hour job turned into a marathon.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

If the old one slipped right out without being under spring tension, and you haven't rotated the engine, then the new one will probably go in fairly easy. I agree with the allen heads, can't hurt.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the bolts with the greatest taper near the end will go in the easiest. i wasted 4 hrs with the stock bolts then got some allen head and they went right in.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Put a dab of assembly lube on the fuel pump arm.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

As you know, the fuel pump eccentric is simply a circle with an off center hole, bolted to the front of the cam shaft. Ideally, you would want the rotating assembly positioned so the eccentric is higher at about 12 o'clock. The only way to know that is to look. You need a bore scope type tool - like a See Snake.

The new one is usually more difficult to put in than the old one was to take out. Even the low side of the eccentric places some pressure on the pump arm. The new pumps tend to be stiffer than the one it replaces.

I agree with the above. Use an allen head bolt and washer, and taper the end. Be sure to use thread sealant - some bolt holes may extend into the crank case. Even if it's only by a tiny bit - or even a small crack - you'l get a frustrating oil leak.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto