Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 947
Not Ranked     
Default Which bellhousing for TKO600?

I am confused about which bellhousing will work for my transmission install. When I bought my car (it was disassembled), I received what I thought was all the parts to put the trans in the car. The trans is a Tko 600 which I am trying to install behind a 351w based engine. I have a ford bellhousing # e6zr-6394-aa and have bolted everything together (without clutch) just to make sure it all bolts together. Everything seems to bolt together just fine. But as I had it bolted together, there is a large opening around the bottom of the bellhousing. I figured I must be missing a dust cover or something, went to the ford dealer, and they were very little help. Then I started doing some research on the Internet, about where I could find a dust cover for this setup, and now I have found lots of posts on various sites that say this bellhousing won't even bolt to my trans. I have verified that the trans is a tko 600 (TCET 4617 AC) is the number on the tag. So what began as a search for a dust cover now has me wondering if this setup will even work (even though it seems to bolt together just fine). Hopefully someone has some good advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi i have a tko 600 on a 351c much the same set up as yours. i used a lakewood bellhousing from an early mustang, and bought a short input shaft for the tko. alternatively you can use a spacer plate behind the bellhousing to the gearbox. make sure the bellhousing you have h=is a tight fit on the gearbox input shaft housing otherwise once you have dialed in the bell you will not get it true.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

What clutch system are you using? Cable? hydrolic slave? Is the opening for the cluth fork assembly?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a RAM hydraulic throw out bearing and a dual friction Centerforce clutch that came with the car...part numbers are Clutch centerforce DF- 161057
Throw out bearing RAM 78132.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

my buddy has a new in the box Lakewood bell housing for a 351W & TKO that he would sell cheap. Part number LAK-15202
I'll check and see if it comes with a dust shield.
Dwight

email me for pics and info algunruner@aol.com

Dwight
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

Lakewood...
I also have a TKO-600. I have a Lakewood bellhousing on a 460 BBF. If I had to do it again I'd choose anything else besides Lakewood. I had to weld up the hole in the bellhousing and then machine the hole to fit the transmission. Luckily I have a friend who ownes a machine shop. If you purchase it, just make sure the hole is round and it fits the tranny tight, Otherwise you'll never line it up on your tranny. If you don't pay attention to this detail you'll find out that you have vibrations that will damage your TKO.

Last edited by Xack; 03-09-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I find it more than a little strange that the aftermarket bellhousings that I find, list the same part for both tko and t5. But numerous forum posts indicate that the bellhousing I have won't work on a tko, because it was made for a t5
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the tko as standard have a long input shaft so you need either a spacer on an early lakewood bellhousing or as i did change the input shaft to a shorter one. these are around..875 shorter. The lakewood 15200 fits the tko with shorter input shaft, or standard length with the spacer plate.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After the throwout bearing in my 351 engined SPF exploded at 12,000 miles the mechanic doing the repairs cautioned me that the combination of a Lakewood bellhousing, Centerforce clutch and TKO 3550 was inherently a weak combination. He did not go into specifics. He intended his observation to discourage me from repeating this configuration in the rebuild.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectible Autos 408w
Not Ranked     

I also have a tko600 with a e6zr-6394 aa bellhousing and it bolted right up. I am using a RAM88794HDT clutch. All is bolted to a 351w.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rccobrakit67.... What a relief!! You mean you have the exact bellhousing that I have read over and over won't work?....... and it's working fine??? Great news. Thanks. It did seem like it bolted together pretty easily to not even work. Thanks for the info. I think I have also figured out the solution to the "dust cover" I was looking for that started this dilemma.... Ford calls it a D9ZZ-7007-A engine plate. My current plan is to order one of those, bolt it together and cross my fingers that all my info was good and I have the right parts combo.

Thanks for everyone's help. You guys are Great!!
Brent