Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Fired the Cobra Today 1st time in 2013

It got up to 60 today, so I decided it was time for a ride. She has been sitting since the end of October. She fired right up like she was shut down yesterday, as always.

Driving a Cobra still puts a grin on my face that I cannot wipe off. What a great time. I feel alive again. I didn't know I was missing anything, but after an hour ride, I feel like a kid again. These cars have to prolong life, provided you don't let one kill you.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Nice. I'll pull mine out of hibernation in the next few weeks. It's almost like getting her for the first time all over again. Putting her away, and completely out of sight, for five or so months actually adds to the overall enjoyment of the car.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 719, 302 5speed
Not Ranked     

Nice,
I'm hoping to have mine out by mid April....if this darn snow will go away!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I was out today for my 2nd ride of spring! Absolutely loved it! Hopefullt tomorrow is nice and sunny.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I live in North Alabama about 15 miles from the Tenn. state line. Our winter was mild this year. I drove the Cobra several times this winter.
A small group of us take a 3 - 4 hour trip on Thanksgiving day every year, no rain so far.
New Years is another day we like to drive our Cobra. Cold weather would be low 30's but hat, coat and gloves plus most of us have heaters and the trip is pleasurable.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I've got the urge to take a drive, but I've also got the old small block out on the stand right now to do some welding and cleanup in the engine bay. This weather has motivated me to get out and work on the car though. Got in a good 4 hours yesterday.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Nice. I'll pull mine out of hibernation in the next few weeks. It's almost like getting her for the first time all over again. Putting her away, and completely out of sight, for five or so months actually adds to the overall enjoyment of the car.
You should do it every Easter. Sort of like a religious experience.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax -fuel inj 383 chevy
Send a message via Yahoo to 427 sam
Not Ranked     

may get mine out today even though it is still minus 3 , the sun is out , regards Sam
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
You should do it every Easter. Sort of like a religious experience.
Traditionally, I put her away from Thanksgiving to Easter, but it's weather driven, of course. What's funny is that each year that five month hiatus seems shorter and shorter. Honestly, this year it feels like I put her away, maybe, five or six weeks ago. Plus, this last winter I don't believe there was a single day when the weather was such that I said to myself "Self, I sure wish the Cobra was out of the bag, because this weather is perfect for driving."
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I've got the urge to take a drive, but I've also got the old small block out on the stand right now to do some welding and cleanup in the engine bay. This weather has motivated me to get out and work on the car though. Got in a good 4 hours yesterday.
Hope you washed off all the flammable stuff before striking an arc.

What needed welding?

OBTW you only have 3 months. Take it from me, it's a bit nerve racking to get your car back together a few days before the London show.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's always interesting reading about you guys putting your cars away for your winter.
Down here in Oz, or at least in Queensland where I live, the weather starts becoming hot humid and oppressive in the lead up to Christmas. Summer storms happen regularly in the late afternoons with the temps around 90-95F and humidity in the 70 to 80 percent range. Unless you have a soft-top you risk serious sunburn or a drenching during the day, although it is possible on those rare milder summer nights to go for a short cruise without getting too wet with perspiration.
The last two years the summer flooding has been worse than usual with some townships in SE Qld being evacuated three times in that period.
We're just now starting to cool off for our winter. Temps are moderating to around 70-75F and around June July we'll be in mid winter and around the 50-55F mark in the mornings, rising to 65-70F during the day.
From now until November is our prime Cobra-driving time, from autumn through to spring.
So we're all getting back into driving around this time of the year but for opposite reasons. You're coming out from under the snow and we're able to rack up some miles without suffering heat exhaustion!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Plus, this last winter I don't believe there was a single day when the weather was such that I said to myself "Self, I sure wish the Cobra was out of the bag, because this weather is perfect for driving."
Seems as though there are several days every winter that it gets warm enough to drive, but there is usually salt on the roads. I always wait until the rain has washed all the salt away.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
You're coming out from under the snow and we're able to rack up some miles without suffering heat exhaustion!
I think the folks in the desert south west, here in the USA, have the same issue. I purchased my Cobra in Louisiana, in July. It was in the high 90's in both temp and humidity. Very unpleasant to drive in. I had considered flying down and driving the Cobra home. I was glad I took an enclosed trailer behind an air conditioned truck.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is going to be a special year with 9 working days left to work then on vaca till June 1st when retirement officially starts.Mother and I have both talked about driving the Cobra a lot more.Wonder about that she is a very busy lady and has a lot on the plate this coming summer.
Course also have to wait till the snow bank melts in front of the back shop the car is wintered in.
To the rest of you enjoy your rides in some of the finest American muscle ever dreamed up.Thank you again Mr. Shelby!