LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Car Castings... Thoughts?

Hello All,
I work for a Bronze foundry in Boring, Oregon. We recently acquired a 3D scanner and my boss is talking about all the possibilities. Being a car enthusiast (and living with one), my first thought is classic cars in bronze. Key chains, mini models, decorative (lamps). The possibilities are limitless. When I offered to let him scan the 427 Cobra in my garage, he was baffled and asked what a 427 Cobra is. Clearly, he doesn't want to head this project. Therefore, I, proudly get to. My first job is finding out the demand for this, keep in mind we cast in bronze and other metals, with patina we can make the sculptures look like any car you wish with the same paint job! Picture, a paperweight that is a miniature of your classic car (or your mini van, if that is what you are into). How many out there would be interested in these services? Honest answers, please. Thanks!
Jessica E.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I would love to have a bronze of my car! What kind of price range are we talking about?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We aren't absolutely sure since we haven't done a car yet (sad face) but my guesstimate on time and materials it would come in around $3000. But this is one of a kind art and immortalizing your car forever.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdJessica View Post
We aren't absolutely sure since we haven't done a car yet (sad face) but my guesstimate on time and materials it would come in around $3000. But this is one of a kind art and immortalizing your car forever.

$3,000

Perhaps you should start with keyrings and work your way up from there

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great idea...
But at $3k, the price of admission is beyond my reach.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
$3,000

Perhaps you should start with keyrings and work your way up from there
Like maybe a copy of the original "Return to Shelby American" key fob?
Larry
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy I'm trying

I have tried convincing my boss of that. He poses a good argument though, to cover the cost of scanning, sculpting and casting them, we need to do a few model size ones first, it would take hundreds of key fobs to cover the cost of casting. He won't budge on this, I have started reaching out to model vendors to see if they're interested as well. Vendors will up the price to make profit, if I get that going I will post it, I'm sure they would do key fobs.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
I have tried convincing my boss of that. He poses a good argument though, to cover the cost of scanning, sculpting and casting them, we need to do a few model size ones first, it would take hundreds of key fobs to cover the cost of casting. He won't budge on this, I have started reaching out to model vendors to see if they're interested as well. Vendors will up the price to make profit, if I get that going I will post it, I'm sure they would do key fobs.
His best bet then is to forget about the idea of doing anything automotive if he is only willing to look at the short term benefits of selling any items he produces.

As far as the key fobs, since Shelby American Inc owns the rights, I highly suggest you get their approvals in writing before you undertake anything. Expect to pay royalties to SAI for each item produced.

Bill S.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

And don't forget the liability insurance in case some one swallows one--Revell carries a $25 million policy on the models of my cars-----------
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
The other thing that comes to mind is that "your boss" wants the first sale to cover all of his costs, sounds fishy to me.

Imagine if Ford or GM had that same mindset. You can have a brand new Mustang GT Convertible, but it will cost you $11,000,000 Yes, I can see people scrambling for the right to the first one

Finally, there is an artist that sold custom sculpted Cobras and such in Bronze, brand new, sculpted by hand, they sold for under 1K (they now sell for more, but as a hand made item, they are considered a collectible).

Bill S.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These would be hand sculpted as well. And it is not that we are looking for the first casting to cover the entire cost. Each piece costs money to cast. But the cost of doing key fobs; I.e. Sculpting, mold making, labor and supplies would be hard to make affordable without the initial monetary boost to the product from larger castings. We wouldn't do anything to infringe on rights or laws. All I am trying to do is find out of there is a demand for this kind of artwork before getting to the nitty gritty legality and technical stuff, I want to know if it will e worth it but it seems not. Thank you, all for your input.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
These would be hand sculpted as well. And it is not that we are looking for the first casting to cover the entire cost. Each piece costs money to cast. But the cost of doing key fobs; I.e. Sculpting, mold making, labor and supplies would be hard to make affordable without the initial monetary boost to the product from larger castings. We wouldn't do anything to infringe on rights or laws. All I am trying to do is find out of there is a demand for this kind of artwork before getting to the nitty gritty legality and technical stuff, I want to know if it will e worth it but it seems not. Thank you, all for your input.
I think from the lack of participation on this thread by the other 100,000+ registered members here should be your answer.

Bill S.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'd go as high as $30...

Eric
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haha. Wow. You can't even get an hour of shop time at that let alone the supplies. Shoot, you could barely get a pound of bronze for that! You people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on amazing classic cars but you swoon at the thought of a couple grand for a custom piece of art to replicate said car? One that will last until long after your car is gone? I am baffled by you people. We had also discussed casting hard to find parts in carbide, steel and aluminum but at this point I think you guys would rather find a free twig and widdle shoddy pieces yourselves.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Haha. Wow. You can't even get an hour of shop time at that let alone the supplies. Shoot, you could barely get a pound of bronze for that! You people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on amazing classic cars but you swoon at the thought of a couple grand for a custom piece of art to replicate said car? One that will last until long after your car is gone? I am baffled by you people. We had also discussed casting hard to find parts in carbide, steel and aluminum but at this point I think you guys would rather find a free twig and widdle shoddy pieces yourselves.
Not very gracious of you to come back in here and chastise us because we do not want your potential product. You came in asking for honesty in the mindset of "market research", and honesty you got. The members here became successful by making wise choices. In the case of your projected retail price, it is clearly not a wise choice on their part. Finally, we do not view these cars as investments, we view them as fun toys to drive whenever we can.

Bill S.
Al G likes this.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:

Then again, would you speak to Lonnie with the same condescending tone. What do you think he would have to say about your behavior here?

Bill S.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Wow, $3k? I thought that was a typo. I might suggest that you knock off a couple on your dime, hustle down to Scottsdale for the upcoming car auctions and set up a tent with all the other memorabilia vendors, also on your dime. If the feedback you have received here so far isn't enough, that should do it.
Good luck!
FirebirdJessica likes this.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I don't think that the "art" is the issue. Its more what we could all do with the $3K. Wheels, tires, lifts, intakes, and most of the cobras are a work of art. While I could afford it, I don't think the market would bear more than $750. Considering all the advice coming here, a $2500 discount should be offered.

Large Arbor
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems like the OP is just someone that had an idea about how to make money without really knowing the intended customer base. I can't speak for everyone here, or on any other Cobra-related website, but I certainly haven't spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on anything except my house. Heck, I'm building an FFR roadster because there's no way I could afford an original Cobra. Plus, consider that the OP only has five posts, and they're all in this thread.

Go figure.

Eric
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A personal friend of mine is a auto sculpture artist and I think he gets about your price for his works. However, he is an established artist and each piece of work is very limited.
You'd probably have to be established for that price. Just my $.02
Larry

Tags
americancarsamericangirls, classic roadster, cobra, for sale, shelby ac cobra