Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Do Cobra kit cars loose value over the years, or ??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/126011-do-cobra-kit-cars-loose-value-over-years.html)

mtrain2000 02-05-2014 03:27 PM

Do Cobra kit cars loose value over the years, or ???

First let me say that I love my Cobra with the torquey 428FE, but I might have the chance to trade even for a 2000 Cobra R.

I know the 00 R will look like every other Mustang out there as there are many clones running around, unlike the Cobra for which you don't see too many. Plus the AC Cobra looks downright sexy.

So, does the value of a Cobra kit car decline over the years even if well kept, stay around the same, or actually appreciate?

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone as that is NOT my intention.:)

DanEC 02-05-2014 03:38 PM

Don't know the answer for sure. I know I have more money building my Cobra replica than I could immediately turn around and sell it for - sort of like any new car you drive off the new car lot. But, after that initial adjustment from building to market value, it appears to me that they generally hold pretty flat for the most part.

mrmustang 02-05-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrain2000 (Post 1284080)
First let me say that I love my Cobra with the torquey 428FE, but I might have the chance to trade even for a 2000 Cobra R.

I know my car is a kit car, and will always be a kit car where as the 00 R is real and "should" be a good bet for an investment vs the Cobra kit.

I know the 00 R will look like every other Mustang out there as there are many clones running around, unlike the Cobra for which you don't see too many. Plus the Cobra has it beat on looks hands down, IMO.

So, does the value of a Cobra kit car decline over the years even if well kept, stay around the same, or actually appreciate?

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone as that is NOT my intention.:)

The question is, how original is the 2000 "R", does it have any modifications? What is the mileage? is the original owners "Binder" included? Most of the 2000 Cobra "R" wrapper cars I have seen have yet to sell for anything more than they did originally. Same goes for the used market for cars that have some track modifications or even time just on the road. Figure a decent, no stories, clean history, low mileage 2000 "R" goes for around $35,000. What do you believe your car is worth?

Bill S.

RodKnock 02-05-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrain2000 (Post 1284080)

Are you buying new and, if so, are you installing the drivetrain?

Do you know which specific brand that you're interested in?

For example, if you purchased a used alloy Shelby (CSX) Cobra Continuation Series many years ago, when CSX alloy roller prices were under $100,000, then you probably have seen some value appreciation, since new alloy rollers are now $160,000 (I think).

WardL 02-05-2014 07:57 PM

I agree with DanEC with the following comments.... I bought a used Superformance for $55k 3 years ago. The original owner had at least $80k in it when he purchased/assembled it in 2007. I think I could sell my Cobra for $60k today. The price of rollers will probably increase about with inflation, putting upward pressure on used Cobra prices. I would expect similar results for any well made replica in excellent condition. New replicas are in perfect condition. If I had made my Cobra out of a Factory 5 kit, it would be a piece of junk because I'm no machinist and the Cobra would lose value quickly. I know a Boeing machinist...His Factory 5 Cobra is better than any Cobra I have seen and I expect it is worth more than your average F5. I don't know about how a high mileage replica Cobra would fare. Basically, if the Cobra is in pristine condition, it will hold its value. No normal production car will hold value unless it is a collector item. I don't think vehicles really become collector items until they are 30+ years old. Cars are for fun, not investments. Jay Leno didn't get rich with his auto collection. You won't either.....

mdross1 02-06-2014 04:08 AM

Have to say like most things kept long enough and with the right timing,most important a buyer that just has to have your creation then yes they appreciate. That has been my experience over the years. Knowing the right people helps tremendously when needing to sell a specialty vehicle.

Z-linkCobra 02-06-2014 08:10 AM

As the cost of building a kit car continues to rise I would think so will the value. Ward said he bought his for 55k 3 yrs and at that time he estimated the man that built it had 80k invested. WIth that being said in the 10 yrs the cost to produce the same car will likely increase a little more than inflation. There for increasing the value of your car seeing as how its complete and ready to drive. JMO...I could be wrong.

Gene

motordean 02-06-2014 09:38 AM

If you buy a quality used Cobra (ie: Superformance), keep it mint and maintained without putting crazy mileage on it, you will not lose money. Anything from new will go down, just the way it is...but the gap will diminish as the years progress and the rolling chasis become more expensive.
In short, these cars hold their value incredibly well.

mtrain2000 02-06-2014 09:42 AM

I hope that everyone understands what I mean when I say a 00 Cobra R. Its not a kit, its a real car sold though Ford.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps0708039c.jpg

Also, I'm not banking my retirement on either cars. I'm just curious what is a better value, a $$$$ kit car, or a real car of only 300 made [albeit only 14 years old at this time]

They only made 300 of these special cars.

CHANMADD 02-06-2014 10:16 AM

The Mustang will always be a Mustang, that depeciates as the years go by........In the 80,s I was selling Cobra kits cars for around 40,000...........How much are they today.........How much is the best Mustang from the 80,s going for.........??

RodKnock 02-06-2014 10:35 AM

Having re-read the OP's first post, and thinking much clearer now, depending on the answers to Bill's questions, I'd say trade for the 2000 R. They only made 300.

patrickt 02-06-2014 11:23 AM

I think Puerto Rico general obligation bonds are a safer bet than either a 2000 R, a KMS, ERA, or anything else along those lines.:cool:

RodKnock 02-06-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1284186)
I think Puerto Rico general obligation bonds are a safer bet than either a 2000 R, a KMS, ERA, or anything else along those lines.:cool:

Maybe, but can you drive your junk status Puerto Rican bond to the grocery store.

madmaxx 02-06-2014 11:47 AM

If its a factory assembled replica (Superformance, BDR, Kirkham, ERA?) you have a much much much better chance of making some money. Kit car very challengine. One thing you must remember with Cobra's is they body style and options never ever change through the years. None have anti-lock brakes, power windows, power seats etc. A 15 year old replica looks the same as a 6 month replica.

"New replicas are in perfect condition" Bull Fuking Sheet. Every new replica I ever owned had in excess of 20 problems, some included paint. A well sorted used Cobra in exceptional condition is worth more than a new one IMO plus a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can see a used one, drive a used one, smell a used one, a new one you assume it will not be scratched, you assume you will get it registered, you assume the installer did their job.

OnyxRider 02-06-2014 11:50 AM

Everyone makes big mistakes, even Buffet admits to it, yet he does have a good track record.

Buffett Has Big Lead in Stock Bet vs. Experts - NBC News

Puerto Rico general obligation bonds I never heard of. Are those the bonds that Dustin Hoffman's character Louis Degas copied in the movie Papillion?

Z-linkCobra 02-06-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmaxx (Post 1284189)
If its a factory assembled replica (Superformance, BDR, Kirkham, ERA?) you have a much much much better chance of making some money. Kit car very challengine. One thing you must remember with Cobra's is they body style and options never ever change through the years. None have anti-lock brakes, power windows, power seats etc. A 15 year old replica looks the same as a 6 month replica.

"New replicas are in perfect condition" Bull Fuking Sheet. Every new replica I ever owned had in excess of 20 problems, some included paint. A well sorted used Cobra in exceptional condition is worth more than a new one IMO plus a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can see a used one, drive a used one, smell a used one, a new one you assume it will not be scratched, you assume you will get it registered, you assume the installer did their job.

My dad did commercial refrigeration for 25 yrs. I came on board with him for the last 8-10 yrs of it. We were on a job one day swapping out an 8 ton a/c unit on a convienence store. Install was done, system was vacuumed and began the base charge. All was looking well. Fired up the unit and began topping off the charge. We were almost done with the charge and the compressor made an erie sound..a loud bang and the sight glass went black.

My dad looked at me and I back at him. I said "this thing is brand new...what the hell?" He looked at me and said..."new dont mean **** son...just means it hasnt been tested". I never forgot that lesson.

Just a story I thought I would share.

mtrain2000 02-06-2014 02:42 PM

Thanks for all of the advise guys........I really didn't know all of that about the Cobra market.

RodKnock 02-06-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrain2000 (Post 1284214)
Thanks for all of the advise guys........I really didn't know all of that about the Cobra market.

And you also learned a little something about the Puerto Rican bond market too. :LOL:

Dimis 02-06-2014 03:03 PM

I have a theory on the future price or perceived "value" of a car.
It directly correlates to what the youth of today want, but can't yet afford.

Ask yourself this question - In a generations time from its release, will anyone give a sh!t about it?

There might be only 300 Mustang Cobra Rs, but if the youth of 93-2000 don't care for them, or aspire to own them, then in a generations time, despite being cashed up, they probably wont part with the funds for one.
Actually, they'll probably be on the hunt for a Hummer with 22inch chrome spinners. :LOL:

I believe this holds true also for cobra kits also.
How many times have you heard these stories...
- I always wanted to build one...
- I fell in love with them when I was a little boy...

I don't hear this said about the Mustang Cobra R, so for me, I'd pass, and take up Patrick's option of "Puerto Rican general obligation bonds".

just sayin'

d488y2 02-06-2014 03:21 PM

Dimis, you have a very good point, cars are only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. The youth of today are more interested in their iPhones !!!
I'm hanging on to my iPhone 3S it will worth a packet one day. $$$$$$