Not Ranked     

Link:

1 x set adapter/spindle safety clips : Vintage Wheels, Hot Rod and Muscle car
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I purchased a set of wheels and tires with these clips. The holes were pre-drilled. Vintages doesn't recommend using in lieu of safety wire. It adds another layer of safety.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

ahh. gotchya.

I did see some cars running at the GLEN last year with only the clip.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm running both also. If I were to use only one I think I would run the safety wiring. The spinner can back off quite a bit with the clips, and even if it stays with the vehicle, the pins or wheel drillings will probably be damaged and wallowed out if it isn't noticed pretty quickly.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

good point.

I think of the MG my dad had when I was a kid... no safety wire... no clips.. never a thought.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I always wondered why all the other cars like Jags, MGs, Triumphs, etc with knockoffs did not use/need safety wire. Could it be that they were splined hubs with closer tolerances and maybe finer threads on the spinners ? Anyone know ?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

My "old" 1952 MG TD and my current 1957 MGA both use finely splined hubs and relatively fine threads (12 per inch) on the knock-offs themselves. I use a lead hammer to check each "spinner" before and after every run and have never experienced any loosening.

Regarding my ERA 427 Cobra, I "indexed" my wheels to their best fit on the "pegs" (so five or six positions must be tried, depending upon the chosen type) to ensure that the wheel is truly flush with the hub. There is usually only one best fit from all of the positions. If this is not done, then the knock-off will never be tight enough (and will need to be continually tightened), handling will have "variations," and unusual tire wear will ensue. Once you find the best position, always keep the wheel in that same position relative to its hub.

If the indexing is done correctly, then no problems should occur. I use the same lead hammer previously mentioned to check each "Cobra spinner" before and after each run (longest run: 400 miles, with another check at a gas stop; total mileage now 1100 after one year post completion), and I have yet to experience any loosening of the knock-offs. I recently received the R-clips from Vintage Wheels (the manufacturer of my wheels) and I will add them just to be complete, but I choose to not mar my wheels with "safety wire" when I've had no problems for nearly 30 years with this type of wheel retention system. Any driver of these cars likely has the skillset necessary to recognize a knock-off coming loose and should have time to slow to a stop before the R-clip can wear through (which it probably would, given enough time to generate enough heat).

Bottom line: use the lead hammer regularly and consistently, and make sure that your wheels are properly indexed to their respective hubs.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I'm wondering if back in the day when running in a race that required tire changes, or any race for that matter, there could not have been any wires. I expect when the spinners are put on properly the chances of them coming off are low. Since we don't want to be the one in a million with spinners coming off we have safety wires. I'll bet they are mostly for show.....
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

WardL
The 3 ear knockoff was the norm in the 50's & very early 60's on the Indy Roadsters that used the Kidney Bean type Magnesium Wheel. Pit stops were as fast as possible using a lead hammer. No clips or safety wire at the time.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Were knock offs primary designed to be on a race car, for speed of removal?
Or are there are advantages with knock offs?
JD
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Based on my experience...First of all, the knock-off spinners are always "wickedly tight" and hard to loosen. Second the safety wire is pretty cool looking, and lastly , a quick glance at your wheel..... the safety wire tells you....."the wheel is on tight".
Bill
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I have a similar set of clips on my Halibrand K/O's and also run safety wire on all four.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Oh, I always run the safety wires on the street. I don't put the safety wires on when I'm doing autocross with my autocross tires/wheels.