Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Club Open Track Day at Willow Springs

I have been working on my Arntz Cobra for 33 years. I have competed in SCCA Solo2's and lots of road rallies. I have always wanted to run an open track day but have never felt confident in the car. Over the last 6 months, I installed a new Classic Conversions front suspension with Wilwood brakes and updated the 406 engine with AFR heads. I also rewired the whole car. It runs and stops so much better now. At a recent Cobra Owners Club meeting, I was invited to come out to a track day at Willow Springs big track. This is a very challenging circuit and I have always wanted to drive it, so I agreed to go.

I had several concerns about doing this. 1. I was not sure how owners of very valuable original cars would feel about a newcomer with a lowly replica showing up. 2. I was not sure my car was up to the task. 3. At 67, I was not sure my physical condition was good enough either. I could not do anything about 1, so I worked on 2 and 3. I changed all the brake fluid to Castrol brand new DOT 4. I checked all the critical bolts and went over the new steering joints and connections very carefully. 3. I started working out every day.

I got up early Saturday morning and drove up to Rosamond in nice cool weather. You have to pay $10 and sign a waver at the track entrance and the nice lady put an arm band on me. There were cars all over the paddock area and a few questions got me into the correct line for the tech inspection. I did not expect any problems with this: I had installed a tow loop on the front of the car, I had dual throttle return springs, my tires were a little more than 1/2 worn but not too near the tread wear marks. However, my brake lights did not work. I did not believe it! Mike Eisenburg of Maeco Motorsports loaned me a jack and jack stands so I could get to the brake switch under the car. I was not able to get to the problem area behind the dash, so I borrowed some wire and ran it from the battery in the trunk to the switch and also from the switch to the tail light circuit in the trunk. I was very encouraged by guys coming by to see what the problem was and offering help. I got several compliments on my car, too! I was very relieved when the lights started working and Mike signed off on my tech inspection! I went into Registration and happily paid my entry fee for the event and got my coveted "Cobra Owner's Club" sticker. It looks beautiful on my windshield!

The sessions were divided into four run groups. The next one up on the schedule was white (advanced), so I signed up for that one. It took a little while to get all the tools, clothing and spare parts out of the car and get my helmet on and ready to run. My heart was beating pretty fast by the time I got to the pit entrance and the starter let me go. The car accelerated really well onto the track and around turn one. Then, as I cranked into turn two and I felt my soft tires start rolling over, I realized that I had forgotten to put air in the tires! I run 28 psi on the street and that will not keep them on the rims around high speed curves like turn 2. So, I continued at reasonable speed until the faster cars came up behind me. I kept waving cars by for three laps and decided that I was being an obstacle and got off the track. I went to the tire station and pumped them all up to 41 psi. Then went to Registration and talked with Lynn Park (President of the Cobra Club). He suggested I try the yellow (Novice) run group and gave me the sticker for that.

I was able to eat a very good chicken sandwich at the snack bar before getting ready to run again. I expected to be very competitive in this group and was ready to really hit it as the starter let us go with about 10 seconds between the cars. I had studied the Willow Springs course for days on YouTube videos and PlayStation 6 Grand Turismo and felt pretty confident about the correct line around the track. The engine pulled really well down the straights and I was getting more confident in the curves. I didn't want to wave anyone by, so I upped my speed until I was really moving. It happened on about the third lap. I came out of 2 about 80 and hit the accelerator all the way. The Holley vacuum secondaries opened and all of a sudden I was catching up to the cars ahead quickly. I started braking for 3 at the usual point and the car just started turning left! I eased off the brakes and got it to come back and all I could see was rapidly approaching cars! I shoved harder and the car turned right! I had to ease off again and by this time the cars were gone but the banked edge of the road was ramping up like a ski jump. At this point, I knew my car was destroyed and I was probably dead but pressed the brake harder and slid to a stop right at the edge of the road! It took a second to catch my breath and get into first gear and turn into 3 and I was very happy that no one hit me in the rear. I drove the rest of the lap very carefully and got off at the pits to finish my heart attack. Then I realized that my brake bias was set for two people and lots of rally equipment in the truck. With less than 1/2 a tank of fuel, the rear brakes had locked up first. So, I drove into Rosamond and filled up the tank and set the brake bias a couple of turns to the front.

I spent a little time getting more acquainted with the other members. There were probably 200 people out there and 100 cars. Lots of Mustangs and all kinds of Cobra replicas. Everyone was very friendly and I caught no hint of a "better that you" attitude. I let people know that this was my first time at this track and got lots of helpful advice. Rod even took me for a few laps in his Corvette to show the proper line. It was exhilarating! With Nitto racing tires and a perfectly balanced car, he went into turn 8 at 130 mph! The C6 was very stable and he was talking to me while blasting around the track much faster than my car was capable of.

I used my last two sessions as learning experiences. I was not going to break rule number 1 (Don't scratch the paint), but I did want to improve my times. The CMS app on my iPhone said I was running 2.07 minute laps and that's not good. I did not feel very confident in my car. The 3/4" rear sway bar works great in the car when it's heavily loaded in rallies. It also works great on autocross circuits when you want to slide the rear out and catch it on the turns. It is not so good to slide the rear out at over 100 mph on turns 2 and 8! I was very careful of turn 9 (keeping it under 90) and had no problem there. I did get a 2.034 minute lap in and that was just fine in my tail happy car.

I had a great day with some great folks at this meet and really want to do it again next May. I have to change some things though. I have to get in better physical condition. I was exhausted for a couple of days after I got home. More tennis! The rear sway bar has to go. Maybe a 1/2 inch bar or none at all, as Tom suggested. I need to replace my vacuum secondary carb with a double pumper for more control coming out of corners. I also would like to lower the car. It needs to be high to jump over railroad tracks and keep from scraping the bottom on dips during road rallies. But, the high center of gravity works against you in the curves on the track. I don't think I will have any trouble remembering to adjust the brake bias before I get on the track again!

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 10-29-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Great laid back event with great peoplethat make you feel welcomed.I wasn't able to attend this month but plan to make it in May. Glad you had fun.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

When I was working on my tail lights, I went to Willow Springs Racing shop to get some wire. That visit was pretty amazing. There were at least 6 aluminum bodied Cobras there! Many of them had obvious body damage. I wish I had not been in a hurry to fix my car. I'll bet there are some really interesting stories about those cars.

My day at the track will be one of those memories that will last forever. Sometimes, I wonder why Cobra people are such good folks. My theory is that when you drive a car that makes you face death every time you drive it, it forces you to realize what is important in life.

RS