Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Proper winter storage (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/131568-proper-winter-storage.html)

Tim7139 11-06-2014 07:26 AM

Proper winter storage

Out of curiosity, what do you folks, particularly above the Mason Dixon line, do for winter storage? Any under the radar techniques being used?

1985 CCX 11-06-2014 08:20 AM

Folks out this way use heated storage in NH

Historic Motorcars
Historic Motor Sports | Classic Car Storage, Restoration, and Repairs

mrmustang 11-06-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim7139 (Post 1324981)
Out of curiosity, what do you folks, particularly above the Mason Dixon line, do for winter storage? Any under the radar techniques being used?

Simple solutions I used to use for my concours trailered show car(s):

For garage space prep
1: 10X20 HD plastic tarp
2: 2-4X8 sheets of 1/2" plywood
3: 4 scrap pieces of carpet
4: Decent (soft) car cover

Place tarp on floor to prevent ground moisture from wicking up from the concrete/dirt floor. Place 2 sheets of plywood on top of the tarp, scrap carpet where the tires will be. Do your maintenance on the car (ask if you are not certain), park it on the prepped storage spot, remove or disconnect the battery (a quality trickle charger will do if you do not want to remove the battery from the car). Throw the cover on (after cleaning the car), and forget about it until spring.

Yes, it is that simple.

Bill S.

motordean 11-06-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1324995)

For garage space prep

Place tarp on floor to prevent ground moisture from wicking up from the concrete/dirt floor. Place 2 sheets of plywood on top of the tarp, scrap carpet where the tires will be. Do your maintenance on the car (ask if you are not certain), park it on the prepped storage spot, remove or disconnect the battery (a quality trickle charger will do if you do not want to remove the battery from the car). Throw the cover on (after cleaning the car), and forget about it until spring.

Yes, it is that simple.

Bill S.

Perfect suggestion..... OR, just drive it once a week! :)

cycleguy55 11-06-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motordean (Post 1324998)
Perfect suggestion..... OR, just drive it once a week! :)

Right, because that's a viable option for those in the frozen north. Even if I could fit winter tires, an open cockpit doesn't seem like a good idea when the temperature is -20 deg. C, the snow is falling and the wind is howling.

rodneym 11-06-2014 12:13 PM

Some people use large ziplock bags, nitrogen flushed, dessicant pouches, guard dog, etc.
Patrickt may be able to help. Surprised he's not here.

patrickt 11-06-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1325004)
Some people use large ziplock bags, nitrogen flushed, dessicant pouches, guard dog, etc.
Patrickt may be able to help. Surprised he's not here.

So long as there is no mouse problem to deal with, just put a bottle of Stabil in her, fill the tires up to about 35psi, throw a big sheet over her for the winter and push her over in to the corner of the garage. Yes, my desiccant in the hermetically sealed car bag keeps her absolutely pristine, but it's probably just a waste of effort.:cool:

Tim7139 11-06-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1324982)
Folks out this way use heated storage in NH

Historic Motorcars
Historic Motor Sports | Classic Car Storage, Restoration, and Repairs

Hard to beat that kind of setup, I was more thinking about home storage.

Tim7139 11-06-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1324995)

For garage space prep

Yes, it is that simple.

Bill S.

In you're neck of the woods, I suspect that's just fine. In my neck of the woods, it's insufficient, unfortunately.

Tim7139 11-06-2014 01:30 PM

I guess. Should have asked what the guys in snow country believe the major storage issue tends to be, or the big issues.

patrickt 11-06-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim7139 (Post 1325015)
I guess. Should have asked what the guys in snow country believe the major storage issue tends to be, or the big issues.

Is she going to be inside some sort of garage, barn, or the like? Or is she outside?

1985 CCX 11-06-2014 01:51 PM

FYI

Light on mothballs and heavy on standard scented dryer sheets... Keeps the mice away! :D

rodneym 11-06-2014 01:52 PM

Pat,
Was the bag a joke or do you really use one?

patrickt 11-06-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1325020)
Pat,
Was the bag a joke or do you really use one?

I really do. It absolutely eliminates any rusting over the winter -- the rotors are as shiny coming out as they were going in. It also eliminates the "ding danger" of, say, dropping a broom or snow shovel on it accidentally.

EDIT -- I put 'er in around Thanksgiving, and take 'er out around Easter. Every few years there's one or two days in between that would have been nice to drive, but usually the roads are covered in that snow melt stuff that the transportation department puts down anyway.

Tim7139 11-06-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1325016)
Is she going to be inside some sort of garage, barn, or the like? Or is she outside?

Outside??? WTF? Seriously, what bag are you using, out of curiosity. The weather looks pretty crummy up here most of the time from here on out so, actually, I bagged it last night and plugged everything in.
I've had several before and they've worked great, now the 14' car capsule is about perfect.

patrickt 11-06-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim7139 (Post 1325022)
Outside??? WTF?

I mean like an outside garage that will go down to below zero. Really, the only things you absolutely have to guard against are the temperatures dropping below your antifreeze level, vermin, gooing up your gas, and surface rust from the temperatures going up and down around your condensation points. Even on a "kind of heated" inside garage, this is what I use: CarBag - Protective Jackets for Storing Your Car or Motorcycle. Made in the USA. I'm actually on my second one. One year I had a brake fluid leak that dumped a sizable amount of brake fluid in to the bottom of the bag, so, obviously, it couldn't even be reused. Yep, that was a pissssser.... Antifreeze, Stabil, and a Car Bag with desiccant and your car will come out exactly the way she went in.

Tim7139 11-06-2014 02:16 PM

I got you, I'm sure those provide protection but probably not enough up around here.
IMHO you've got to have something with an air exchange system. The issue is that in mid/ late winter when you get major temp change drops at night, you get lots of condensation on metal, particularly metal in closed systems.....like inside engines, etc. the exchange systems, with fans purge moist air....keep air moving...pretty much crush corrosion on bare metal, fasteners, etc.
One of the principle reasons I started this was to see if anybody subscribes to the engine bump, valve spring relief thoughts, anybody ever have issues?

patrickt 11-06-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim7139 (Post 1325024)
One of the principle reasons I started this was to see if anybody subscribes to the engine bump, valve spring relief thoughts, anybody ever have issues?

There's the occasional "I pulled my valve springs" post but, personally, I think that's nuts. There are guys that fog the cylinders too. Again, nuts. Starting the car up for just little turns of the engine does more harm than good... and I think turning it by hand is wasted effort. BTW, that car bag with fresh desiccant in it will keep your car bone dry even if you're storing her in the rain forest. Do not underestimate its effectiveness.

cycleguy55 11-06-2014 04:49 PM

I have a neighbour with a large garage that is generally unheated, though it does have a radiant heater I may be able to use for some over-winter work on the beast.

Any value in putting the car on jack stands and getting it off the tires?

Tim7139 11-06-2014 05:22 PM

It is supposed to help if it's off the ground and suspension, however the big thing is off the cold concrete with less tire patch and potential for flat spotting.
My bag has a heavy fluid proof mat, but still, I pump tires up to 35-40 and roll them up on thick plush carpet squares before everything gets zipped up.