LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Cool Aviation plate/tag

Hi all,

Can anyone help me to obtain a couple of aviation plates/tags.

I know Ohio and I think Nth.Carolina have reference to aviation on their plates.

If you have a spare old plate/tag I'm happy obviously to pay postage etc.

If you would like Australian plates for your study, pool room, bar or garage wall I'm happy to exchange some for a few aviation reference plates.

I have an aviation friend who would love a plate that has reference to aviation for his office to compliment his wall photo of bi - planes etc.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Cheers

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-18-2015, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for kit
Not Ranked     

Ohio has a small reference to the Birthplace of Aviation on their plates. NC plates display the words First in Flight in larger print and depict the first powered plane. Both states have had a friendly banter for years about where aviation started. The Wright brothers were born in Ohio and did much of their research there. After several years of testing and trials in NC, the plane they first flew was on the coast of North Carolina where the winds were more dependable. You pick where aviation began.

Because I’m a newbie, forum rules prevent me from posting a reply with an embedded link. So do a Google search for NC License Plate. Then scroll down a bit and view the images.

Current NC license plates are permanent, that is, they remain on the car indefinitely and are updated by annually affixing a new registration sticker on the upper right corner of the plate. The plates with blue letters tended to fade in a few years, so the Division of Motor Vehicles replaced them with plates with red letters. As I remember, we had to turn in the old (blue) plates to obtain a new one (red). So there aren’t many (or any) plates of the current iteration (red or blue) available that I know of. As such, I don't know where one would find an old, expired NC plate.

Years ago (prior to the 1980’s), new plates were issued annually and the previous year’s plate was discarded (or nailed to the side of a barn as many were). These old plates are around and many Cobra owners (myself included) display them on their cars. But they don’t have any reference to aviation; only the plate number and the year.

Another method would be to do an on-line search for NC replica license plates. There are several companies that produce custom (you pick the lettering) plates and many are available on EBay or Amazon.

Last edited by Dave S; 04-19-2015 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Removed hyperlink
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DaveS

Thanks for the reply.

I have also replied with a PM back to your PM.

I will possibly just chase one of the many tag/plate sellers on eBay.

A search there reveals you can buy full State sets or part sets.

I'll chase up one to send over a few aircraft related tags of each State.

I have a full set of Australian plates to swap if anyone can come up with a good offer..

My own garage wall has two or three hundred plates that I have acquired over the last 20 or so years - thanks to my friend at one of your DMV branches, wrecking yards etc.

Cheers

Bernie
Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for kit
Not Ranked     

Bernie, eBay or Google or whatever is probably the best source to get plates from NC or Ohio. You have many choices there. Let me know if you need any further help. Dave
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tnx mate.

Yes I sent a message to a couple of the plate and memorabillia guys on ebay USA there.

Thanks again as it appears to be quite cheap at about $5.00 a plate. Looks like they are happy to split plates out.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tnx all.

I just found a seller in California who has tags/plates for $6...

So I just brought 5 plates for him.

A Nevada Air Race plate x 1

North Carolina - birth place of aviation x 2

Ohio - aviation x 1

Was easy enough to find the seller. Tnx for the links and contact...

BMK. Bernie