26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RodKnock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default ATE Super Blue from Overseas...

Does anybody here go to the trouble of ordering ATE Super Blue, in true blue, from overseas?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

I've used it for years,sourced it locally from a Euro parts shop. It's around unless i missed something. I was actually planning on switching it on my next fluid swap, at its cost the advantage it largely theoretical unless you plan on major track time and are a big time brake dragger.

Last edited by Tim7139; 03-09-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I just ran over to a local BMW dealership and bought it.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The BLUE version of the ATE Super Blue has not been available for sale in the US since the DOT outlawed it in 2013. The GOLD version of Super Blue is still available in the US.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-10-2015 at 04:33 AM..
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duplicate Post - I don't know what's wrong with this site, but for the last few days it's been virtually unusable.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The BLUE version of the ATE Super Blue has not been available for sale in the US since the DOT outlawed it in 2013. The GOLD version of Super Blue is still available in the US.
I didn't know that and must have gotten one of the last cans available... From what I understand, the only difference is the color and it would be easier to know if you've completely flushed the system by alternating colors.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
I didn't know that and must have gotten one of the last cans available... From what I understand, the only difference is the color and it would be easier to know if you've completely flushed the system by alternating colors.
Yes, that's the only reason to use the blue colored stuff. I alternate flushes between gold and blue and I'm due to use blue. I have to say, it's pretty convenient having different colors for different fluids so when there's a new puddle on the floor you can quickly identify it. I've read on other forums that people just pay to have the blue shipped here from Germany or Belgium and, yes, you can do that off Ebay. I just thought that if anybody was doing that, they'd probably be here.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suspect that a few foriegn parts places that carry it are likely to have supplies of old stock, there's not really a huge market for folks dying to pay 3 times sticker for racing fluid.
How do you train your brake system to leak only when the blue is in it?

Last edited by Tim7139; 03-10-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Old 03-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
I suspect that a few foriegn parts places that carry it are likely to have supplies of old stock, there's not really a huge market for folks dying to pay 3 times sticker for racing fluid.
Ahhhh, which leads me to another issue. Castrol says the shelf life of their brake fluids in the plastic bottle is two years. ATE comes in a metal can, not a plastic can. Personally, I don't want a five year bottle, or can, of brake fluid. But maybe brake fluid in the can has a shelf life of 20 years? I don't know. Anyway, what would have really been nice is if there was a well-written German automotive web site, that lets you order on line, that carries ATE Super Blue, that ships overseas, that takes PayPal, and that computes your shipping costs on line as well, and that at least two CC members here have already used.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

As the DOT regulates the color of brake fluid the blue or other non standard (to US specs) fluid have been removed from sale for "on road" use. I had a communication from a distributor that instructed us to ship non conforming fluid to them for replacement with "color conforming" product.

That is why the blue and purple fluids are gone (I remember a brake fluid that looked and smelled like Grape Crush!)

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
As the DOT regulates the color of brake fluid the blue or other non standard (to US specs) fluid have been removed from sale for "on road" use. I had a communication from a distributor that instructed us to ship non conforming fluid to them for replacement with "color conforming" product.

That is why the blue and purple fluids are gone (I remember a brake fluid that looked and smelled like Grape Crush!)
The problem is, you can't even seem to find it for "off road use only." I can buy nitromethane easier than I can find blue brake fluid.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ahhhh, which leads me to another issue. Castrol says the shelf life of their brake fluids in the plastic bottle is two years. ATE comes in a metal can, not a plastic can. Personally, I don't want a five year bottle, or can, of brake fluid. But maybe brake fluid in the can has a shelf life of 20 years? I don't know. Anyway, what would have really been nice is if there was a well-written German automotive web site, that lets you order on line, that carries ATE Super Blue, that ships overseas, that takes PayPal, and that computes your shipping costs on line as well, and that at least two CC members here have already used.
After it's opened not sealed. The ATE foil seal in metal can is good for quite some time.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
After it's opened not sealed. The ATE foil seal in metal can is good for quite some time.
According to ATE, shelf life is one year after opening, five years when the seal is not broken.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Duplicate Post - I don't know what's wrong with this site, but for the last few days it's been virtually unusable.
I have nothing to add to this thread other than agreeing to your statement above. It's up, it's down. All kidding aside, ClubCobra is the most unreliable site on the Internet.
joyridin' likes this.