Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

Hello. I had originally attempted to post several discussions on topics that I have lectured on to groups at various past local Cobra Clubs. It was always enjoyable to see grown men taking notes. Guys would come up after and say, I haven't taken notes during a class since high school or college. I have several lectures some short, some longer. Many are very pertinent to this current completion Cobra thread. One on "Evolution and manufacturing, materials and labeling, part numbers, style and finishings from dead nuts original AC factory line installed to current day LUCAS ELECTRICALS. Another comment by the guys at the end of that talk was 'Where were you when I was laying out my dash and firewall." I am a 427 guy only. The only reason that I know anything 289 is that the same part was a crossover to a 427. From what little I have read here on these forums, it seems that Dan Case is the go to guy for that 289 information. I have another talk on Smiths Gauges "How to tell if they are real and original 60's issues". I think your name is Evan, I have a discussion of "Original Hardware" = How to tell the men from the boys". When I am hired to inspect 60's 3000 cars for prospective buyers, checking for replacement chasses and or bodies besides weld styles, and "Upgrades" the bolts and nuts give a real clue to the history of the great cars. No one makes original bolts. Before I restep into the fire, I would like an approval from Ron B. I don't remember but I think Ron said he was from Fresno, I don't know how to save this post to check. I bought my car in Fresno and it was delivered by S&G Motors in San Francisco. I have a beat up photo of my car in their showroom, with one of the owners handing the keys to the original owner. BOB
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Good info, I wish I could sit down with you and talk Cobras forever...
Old 05-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Ditto.

Ever think of doing a book? With all the parts you have you could put together an amazing book with photos too.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-28-2015 at 05:55 AM..
Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,

Did you have your S&C bought Cobra painted in 68 or 69?

Maurice

Last edited by maurice19; 05-29-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Ditto.

Ever think of doing a book? With all the parts you have you could put together an amazing book with photos too.
Bob, I think what Evan wants is a Catalog of parts. "Book" is just a euphemism.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by feadam View Post
David
You said these are using cast iron center sections, are they from Larry Millers collection. A few years ago I went to the Shelby museum in Boulder Co and they had a pallet full of them. Asked if I could buy one and they told me a lot of the collectable parts are Millers.
DenBeste has a WALL of finished, date coded engines sitting on a shelf. I have two of them here.

Larry has an enormous stash of parts as well. I don't think any of it has been sold off yet. They did walk away from the Miller Motorsports track a couple of weeks ago, however.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
If you get 10-15 people with $500k each I'm sure you could convince David to "mass produce" 15 billet Cobras.........truly a Cobra that is worth $500k
Maybe one day...

David
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty442 View Post
Afraid but here goes. My name is Bob Gingold. I live in Miami, Florida for 35 years. I have owned my Cobra for over 40 years. My wife's name is Patty. She is very understanding. I have alot of NOS 60's original parts. Good night, Bob
I have spoken at length with Bob. He is legit. He knows more things about original Cobras and their history than about anyone I have ever spoken to. Some of his stories on the early history are pretty cool. I'll let Bob tell them.

David
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I can't even imagine what a cammer would feel like (although I'd like to drive Jay's).
Cammers are like trying to tame a grizzly.

They are fun and maddening to drive at the same time. No matter what you do the rear tires spin. Glad a learned a soft touch with my feet from all those years playing the piano.

David
Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
I was just thinking..."You know, seems like everyone has a "stash" these days. I want a "stash" too!"

You need to go to Washington or Colorado for that.

David
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Bob is a national treasure (to our Cobra community). Looking forward to more of his posts and reflections (especially the nut and bolt details).
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

NOW we're rolling here!
Glad to see this info come to light and put a few things to rest!!
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Maybe we can get an answer why the most Cobras have their quick jacks facing the other way (to bust your leg) -- and not how they were designed to follow the shape of the body.

??

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

That IS a good question. Prompted me to page through my book "Shelby Cobra Fifty Years" since I never paid attention to that detail. There are photos of cars with the quick jacks both ways, but more with them pointing out - including CSX2001, the second Cobra built and the first production Cobra.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The quick jack points out because it is easier to get to the bolts if you have to take them off or put them on, everything was done for speed on these cars, even changing nuts and bolts...
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Bob, I think what Evan wants is a Catalog of parts. "Book" is just a euphemism.
A Catalog would be nice too.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way, I love Miami, when can I come, lunch and dinner and lunch and dinner on me till you tell me to get lost...
Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty442 View Post
Hello. I had originally attempted to post several discussions on topics that I have lectured on to groups at various past local Cobra Clubs. It was always enjoyable to see grown men taking notes. Guys would come up after and say, I haven't taken notes during a class since high school or college. I have several lectures some short, some longer. Many are very pertinent to this current completion Cobra thread...
Hello, Bob
Where do you stand on these new competition cars ? Thumbs up or down?

nyg
Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

HI. I am glad that someone remembers me. Maybe its because I talk to them for 3 hours straight. I want to say that I have known David, Tom and Steve for only about four years. I had discussed having him make a dead nuts copy of an original rollbar. He said he wasn't sure to copy "Some rollbar" . I said I have one with the original shipping box Shelby American, still in the box with a SA tag on the bar, wrapped in 1966 LA Times newspaper. I think Tom was involved with that one. Steve helped me enormously with some issues that I had with a Kirkham that I bought. Yes I have a very early Kirkham. Imagine that. After putting back together my original car, which was stored in zip lock bags for 40 years, I guess it became art. The judges at the Meadowbrook/ St Johns Concours in Detroit thought so , and was awarded their Golden Judges award for the most desireable car in the show, that they wanted to drive home. You can google it. Even though I am quite the old timer, most of you probably weren't alive when I drove my first 289 Cobra, or 427 Cobra when they were available in 64 and 66 at Gotham Ford in NY, I have a 14 year old son. He was getting distant about the race car Cobra because he knew as a little boy that it was a very special car to Poppa, not to come near it. To remedy that I said if I can find the absolute perfect Kirkham for us, that is the right color, the right painter , the right assembler, done and finished, I would go for it. After working on my car off and on for 40 years, I thought I was Cobra tired. For a year he kept asking me call some more people, get a car we can drive. I was talking to Nick about loaning him some more original original parts to reproduce and asked if he knew of any great cars available, must be any shade of dark dark blue. He gave me a lead and said the car was incredible. No offense to David but I wanted a car that felt like my car, not a C6 Corvette with a Cobra body. I contacted the owner and we spoke for probably ten hours straight. He would say original suspension, original girling brakes. He went outside to his garage and starting sending photos. I kept saying original Style suspension, original style calipers. he finally got it. Anyway it had a big KC motor, over 600 and a toploader. So far so good. Now here is the killer information. I bet someone way upstairs had answered my little boys prayers. continued
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

continued. too long so I have to retype it. I am glad by case is delayed in the Operating Room so I can continue. I said what exact color, he said nightwatch blue non metallic. Wow same color. Give me the assembler's number. As I wrote them down I said I think I remember that number. Who? He said Billy. I said I worked at his shop for 1 week every 2 months for four years with him assembling a car. I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag as yet. Who painted it. He said Mike D. YES . I said I wanted a history file, service records options, upgrades, changes parts sources engine build sheets etc. I said I need two weeks for research and would come back with an offer. Why so long he said. It would be silly to offer before evaluating the credentials and of course I would come to see the car and drive it. The current owner was 6 four just like me and Billy had made some subtle wonderful changes to make the car as comfortable as my 60's car. I said send me another 200 or 300 pictures of everything down to the greatest detail. Most important to the sale was how it drove I said. He asked how do I know how and original car feels and drives. Rather than sayng I have judged , seen in person, driven or evaluated for purchase more than 100 of the original cars from the 60's , I said "A few". , as the price was somewhat just floating in the air unknown to me or him as yet. And yes it is an incredible car and thank you David and your staff of designers and engineers. continued