Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   NEWS: New bill in US Congress would allow for turnkey replicas (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/133632-news-new-bill-us-congress-would-allow-turnkey-replicas.html)

SunDude 06-12-2015 06:26 AM

NEWS: New bill in US Congress would allow for turnkey replicas

A new bill in Congress would create a new category of regulations for low-volume automakers – specifically those building replicas of classic automobiles.

Current regulations require small-volume manufacturers to the same standards as mass producers, mean that these companies are forced to sell their products as kits. However, the new category would allow them to offer turn-key vehicles, with no further assembly required on the part of the buyer.

House Resolution 2675 – dubbed the "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015" – is a bipartisan bill being presented by Congressmen Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Gene Green (D-TX). If voted into law, companies that produce <500 vehicles per year would still need to meet modern standards set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency; however, those standards would be set separately for lower volumes.

#####

PRESS RELEASE

U.S CONGRESS INTRODUCES BILL TO ALLOW LIMITED PRODUCTION OF TURN-KEY REPLICA CARS

Washington, DC (June 10, 2015) – Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) have introduced bipartisan legislation that would enable low volume car manufacturers to produce turn-key replica vehicles for customers nationwide. Replica vehicles resemble classic cars produced at least 25 years ago. Supported by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015" (H.R. 2675) would allow companies to construct up to 500 such cars a year subject to federal regulatory oversight.

The U.S. currently has just one system for regulating automobiles. It was established in the 1960s and designed for companies that mass-produce millions of vehicles. H.R. 2675 creates a separate regulatory framework for small businesses producing modest numbers of cars.

"The bill introduced by Reps. Mullin and Green will allow U.S. companies to produce turn-key replicas of older vehicles that are virtually impossible to build under today's restrictive one-size-fits-all regulatory framework," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "This program will create skilled-labor jobs in the auto industry and help meet consumer demand for these classics of the past."

H.R. 2675 directs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish a separate regulatory structure to facilitate the production of replica cars. Manufacturers would be required to register with NHTSA and EPA and submit annual reports on the vehicles they produce. The vehicles would meet current model year emissions standards and manufacturers would be permitted to install clean engines from other EPA-certified vehicles to help achieve that requirement.

H.R. 2675 recognizes the unique circumstances associated with limited production replica vehicles, which are primarily used in exhibitions, parades and occasional transportation. It also provides an opportunity to promote domestic manufacturing and create jobs in the specialty auto sector.

"This bill seeks a reasonable regulatory approach," said Kersting. "It also helps preserve our American automotive heritage."

SEMA will be working with Congressional leaders to promote this important bill. For more information on H.R. 2675, please contact Stuart Gosswein or Eric Snyder at 202.783.6007 or stuartg@sema.org, erics@sema.org.

About SEMA

SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association founded in 1963, represents the $33 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,814 member-companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for the specialty auto parts industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765, tel: 909-610-2030, or visit www.sema.org.

Source: https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2015...y-replica-cars

#####

Link to complete text of current bill: https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/h...14hr2675ih.pdf

cycleguy55 06-12-2015 08:09 AM

What do you think the chances are of getting our Canadian legislators to enact similar legislation? The current Canadian federal government seems to be closely aligned with many U.S. initiatives, so why not this?

OTOH, while it makes sense for Canadian and U.S. rules to be harmonized, I guess that pretty much rules this out...

BTW, I'm going to be forwarding the SEMA release to my MP as well as Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transportation.

twobjshelbys 06-12-2015 09:47 AM

Does this really do anything for the class of replicas that the Cobra falls in (there are other vehicles too).

The current way is (1) you get a kit, stays status quo or (2) you get a finished roller (Shelby, SPF, Kirkham, etc). Today they cannot install a power train and sell it as a finished vehicle. This rule would change that but as I read it, would require an emissions compliant engine at time of sale. This would mean you'd be able to sell a completed vehicle with a Coyote crate engine, but not a NOS 427FE.

Since I believe most Cobra owners would like to see period correct power trains does this change anything? Won't most people still install a power train that more closely resembles the originals?

Al G 06-12-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1352201)
Does this really do anything for the class of replicas that the Cobra falls in (there are other vehicles too).

The current way is (1) you get a kit, stays status quo or (2) you get a finished roller (Shelby, SPF, Kirkham, etc). Today they cannot install a power train and sell it as a finished vehicle. This rule would change that but as I read it, would require an emissions compliant engine at time of sale. This would mean you'd be able to sell a completed vehicle with a Coyote crate engine, but not a NOS 427FE.

Since I believe most Cobra owners would like to see period correct power trains does this change anything? Won't most people still install a power train that more closely resembles the originals?

That's how I read it also. And I wonder what the other standards will be. If this replaces the current rules it could be a step backwards. I can't believe this is what SEMA wants.

Mark IV 06-12-2015 05:01 PM

I don't think the intention is to replace the current rules but augment them to allow emissions compliant replicas to be built and sold.

LMH 06-12-2015 11:16 PM

Always scares me when government gets involved and sets up rules/regulations of anything. It always screws up what was in an effort to create something new. I would rather see them not involved at all.
Larry

just dreamin 06-13-2015 02:40 AM

From my experiences with governments (in Australia) but aren't all governments the same!
I this is enacted, it will become impossible to build anything with a non complying emissions motor as the arguments for doing so will be removed.
Therefor having built such a car, its logical that it should be tested and continue to meet regulatory requirements into the future. Good luck.

cycleguy55 06-13-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1352259)
Always scares me when government gets involved and sets up rules/regulations of anything. It always screws up what was in an effort to create something new. I would rather see them not involved at all.
Larry

Like it or not, government is already involved. Right now this happens principally at different levels applied inconsistently (e.g. 'state to state' vs. federal). This bill won't change that, but it may well provide some measure of consistency (one federal standard for subject vehicles which would be accepted by each state). An important provision of the proposed legislation is for manufacturers to be registered and subject to inspection, presumably to ensure compliance with standards. While some may be object, I believe this is a reasonable requirement.

I see this as the intent to open up another channel for replica automobiles - whether that be Cobra replicas or otherwise (e.g. Mercedes SSK, Duesenberg, Porsche 550, etc.). This would clearly allow current manufacturers and/or distributors of 'rollers' to install emissions-compliant powertrains and become 'low volume manufacturers'. I do not see this significantly affecting kit car or replica manufacturers other than those providing 'rollers' or 'turn key minus' cars.

LMH 06-13-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1352300)
Like it or not, government is already involved. Right now this happens principally at different levels applied inconsistently (e.g. 'state to state' vs. federal). This bill won't change that, but it may well provide some measure of consistency (one federal standard for subject vehicles which would be accepted by each state). An important provision of the proposed legislation is for manufacturers to be registered and subject to inspection, presumably to ensure compliance with standards. While some may be object, I believe this is a reasonable requirement.

I see this as the intent to open up another channel for replica automobiles - whether that be Cobra replicas or otherwise (e.g. Mercedes SSK, Duesenberg, Porsche 550, etc.). This would clearly allow current manufacturers and/or distributors of 'rollers' to install emissions-compliant powertrains and become 'low volume manufacturers'. I do not see this significantly affecting kit car or replica manufacturers other than those providing 'rollers' or 'turn key minus' cars.

That's exactly what I don't like about it. The gov may mandate that I or the company I buy my car from, install an emissions compliant engine. Now it doesn't replicate anything. They may want to require crash test compliance and better safety for owners. Again, now it's not a replica. Every time government becomes involved in anything, it's ruined. I know it's coming but I want no part of it but I'll have to be part of it. That's what I dislike the most!
Larry

cycleguy55 06-18-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1352315)
That's exactly what I don't like about it. The gov may mandate that I or the company I buy my car from, install an emissions compliant engine. Now it doesn't replicate anything. They may want to require crash test compliance and better safety for owners. Again, now it's not a replica. Every time government becomes involved in anything, it's ruined. I know it's coming but I want no part of it but I'll have to be part of it. That's what I dislike the most!
Larry

Then it's probably incumbent upon you (and others) to contact your elected representatives to ensure this proposed legislation doesn't trample your existing rights.

Skuzzy 06-18-2015 02:17 PM

Uhmmm,...doesn't this only cover manufacturers who have been licensed, by the original builder or current owner of said property, to build replicas? That is how I understood it.

I read the CEO of Factory Five has already said it will not make any difference to them.

LMH 06-18-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1352931)
Then it's probably incumbent upon you (and others) to contact your elected representatives to ensure this proposed legislation doesn't trample your existing rights.

Already done.
Larry

Mark IV 06-18-2015 04:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The bill need s to be expanded to allow "low volume" cars that are NOT replicas such as:

Dimis 06-18-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1352978)
The bill need s to be expanded to allow "low volume" cars that are NOT replicas such as:

That looks like a replica to me...
A bad example of a daytona coupe. :eek:

Mark IV 06-18-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1352981)
That looks like a replica to me...
A bad example of a daytona coupe. :eek:

No. A good non-replica of a Zagato designed car done for Hi Tech Auto. Any coupe will have some "Daytona" in the DNA.

66gtk 06-18-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1352992)
No. A good non-replica of a Zagato designed car done for Hi Tech Auto. Any coupe will have some "Daytona" in the DNA.

Love it!

cycleguy55 06-19-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1352964)
Already done.
Larry

Ditto.

cycleguy55 08-27-2015 01:24 PM

Here's the response I received yesterday from Transport Canada, in response to my letter to the Minister:

I am responding to your correspondence of June 12, 2015, to the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, regarding a U.S. Congressional Bill entitled "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015" that would allow limited production of turn-key replica cars. The Minister of Transport has asked me to reply on her behalf.

Under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), Transport Canada develops and enforces the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSR). The MVSA requires that each vehicle manufactured for sale in Canada or imported into Canada must be certified to comply with all applicable safety standards in effect at the time of main assembly. The MVSR are mostly performance-based, rather than design-specific, and provide basic safety requirements for vehicles and specific vehicle equipment.

As explained in our previous correspondence on the issue of kit cars, it is important to note that Canadian safety regulations allow the importation of most vehicles 15-years-old and older that do not conform to the MVSR. This allowance is less restrictive than its U.S. counterpart, for which the limit is set at 25 years. Canadian car enthusiasts and collectors of U.S., Japanese or European heritage vehicles are allowed to import vintage vehicles without hindrance.

The proposed U.S. Congressional Bill, if passed, would require the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to establish a regulatory structure allowing production of replica cars. The Bill is not specific as to which vehicle safety requirements would have to be modified or eliminated to allow replica cars to enter the U.S. market.

Please be assured that Transport Canada is continuing to work closely with the NHTSA and has developed a joint Regulatory Cooperation Council work plan, which is available at RCC Motor Vehicles Working Group: Existing and New Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Work Plans - Transport Canada. I would also like to assure you that, should this Bill be passed and new U.S. regulations initiated, Transport Canada would review and consider adopting those regulations appropriate for Canada.

Thank you again for writing and for sharing your views.

Sincerely,

Jason Kelly for/

Kim Benjamin
Director General,
Motor Vehicle Safety

While there is verbiage indicating Transport Canada is monitoring U.S. legislation, there is no commitment to create parallel or comparable legislation in Canada, notwithstanding supposed efforts to harmonize regulations and legislation. Phrases like "those regulations appropriate for Canada" leave me highly doubtful we'll see any significant loosening of the current regulations.

thorconstr 08-27-2015 02:17 PM

turnkey

I think the operative word is "turnkey", which would lead me to believe that the replica maker has to finish the car, not us. I didn't read all the reply's, so if this was already covered, sorry.

Xack 08-28-2015 04:18 AM

Turnkey is an option. They are only allowing a means to offer period correct cars for sale and help low volume auto makers for one category. Nothing more.