• 1 Post By mrmustang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra history

As you guys know, these cars attract attention and lead to conversations with all types of people. I have been thinking about this for a while, and feel like our cars are an easy way to meet others where they are, no walls put up, and allow a way to witness to them about God's love for them. I am looking at creating a tract to hand out as I come into conversation with people with information about the Cobra on the front along with a picture and the tract on the back. Looking for help writing the info for the front as most of you know more about the Cobra history than I do. I'm looking for a "cliff notes" version of 2 paragraphs at the most. Any help would be appreciated or feel free to pm me with any info that you think would be most important to include. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carroll Shelby had the concept of putting Fords new light weight V8 into AC's roadster and the Cobra was born. Shelby, AC Cars and Ford all played crucial roles in the cars evolution.
That's pretty much an overview of the big picture.
Sorry, that's only one paragraph!
Larry
csw likes this.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I'm going to play teacher here.

Instead of having this group write your term paper, how about doing the research yourself? You will find it amazing, entertaining, and learn alot about the racing history of the 60's. It was an era of power in the car and power in the boardroom, stuff we don't have in today's auto racing.

How about starting with a video: Spirit Level Films The Snake and the Stallion (aka, Cobra Ferrari Wars). I like the film so much that I bought the DVD (from England) but someone uploaded it to Youtube.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guess I should clarify, as a former teacher, I'm not asking for anyone to write the tract. I'm compiling my research to write the front. I am just looking for any info that you wiser historians might think should be included as part of the 2 paragraphs.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

AJ Baime's Go Like Hell. Focuses on the GT40 story but also describes Shelby's transition from the Cobra/Daytona Coupe time to the GT40 program.
MFE III and csw like this.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289
Not Ranked     

Buy a SAAC Registry............please !!!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Don't forget to include in your handout the information that your car isn't a Cobra. We don't want you misleading anyone. Those who've been around a while know what I mean.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Amen Al, I like most, don't claim it to be more than what it is...but there was obviously more "real" ones in GA than even produced! Wish I had a dollar for every story that starts off "my brothers wife's 2nd cousins blah, blah had a real one of these cars!" Smile and play along!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while, and feel like our cars are an easy way to meet others where they are, no walls put up, and allow a way to witness to them about God's love for them.
Cooool! Does this mean folks offering me pamphlets and books to save my soul are gonna be driving up to my door in a Cobra? That will definitely prolong and improve the quality of the interface!

Its an innovative approach so best of luck. If you need assistance with a cover design or graphic, just let me know.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

csw, I'd like to offer some friendly advice: Rather than handing a religious tract to the friendly new people you meet, be a friend and let them evaluate your belief system by the nature of your character. Most people find religious tracts an offensive intrusion, especially when they are received before any sort of trusting relationship has developed.

For a good example of this in action, read a good biography on Steve McQueen, particularly on how his flight instructor influenced him to become a Christian.

Good friends are hard to come by. Keep the ones you make.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Guess I should clarify, as a former teacher, I'm not asking for anyone to write the tract. I'm compiling my research to write the front. I am just looking for any info that you wiser historians might think should be included as part of the 2 paragraphs.
You can afford a Backdraft, you can afford to buy the appropriate registry

SAAC World Registry

Bill S.
ta22 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
csw, I'd like to offer some friendly advice: Rather than handing a religious tract to the friendly new people you meet, be a friend and let them evaluate your belief system by the nature of your character. Most people find religious tracts an offensive intrusion, especially when they are received before any sort of trusting relationship has developed.

For a good example of this in action, read a good biography on Steve McQueen, particularly on how his flight instructor influenced him to become a Christian.

Good friends are hard to come by. Keep the ones you make.

DD
Great advice! My offer to assist is firmly rooted in latent feelings of guilt for the number of Witnesses, Mormons and other soul saviours I inadvertently converted to the dark side as evidenced by the very un-christian curses and insults they hurled back at me as they fled down my driveway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
If you need assistance with a cover design or graphic, just let me know.
It's a good thing I don't have one millionth of Buzz's graphic skills because the image of Jesus in his Cobra that came to my mind would not likely be appreciated by the faithful who don't share my irreverant sense of humor.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor