16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Researching the right car now.
Not Ranked     
Default 588R big block

I'm starting to do my research before pulling the trigger on my first Cobra. I've pretty well made up my mind that it is going to be big block powered. I see Roush has a 588 for under $20k. Just curious if anyone knows anything about these mills? I can't seem to find much info about them being used in a Cobra.

I did see a short clip of a start up of a 588 in a Back Draft Cobra...which is great, because I am leaning toward BDR.

Also wondering how the drive train BDR uses will hold up with this kind of power. I was actually just talking to a friend that managed to break the diff mount of his friends BDR Cobra with a small block 427...kinda got me worried a bit.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I just read the engine specs here 588 R Crate Engine and to be honest I think it's a pretty uninspiring parts list and power level for the money.

I bet that a regular contributor to this forum Brent Lykins could build you a better motor for less money. Lykins Motorsports, LLC (Or for another couple of grand you could have a Boss 9 headed monster!)

Depending what you want to achieve with the car, you might also like to consider fitting an FE big block - cool looks and again for less money than the Roush motor...
Topfuelhydro likes this.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Most all parts will fail if subject to those power figures and abuse.
That's not something that is just BDR specific.

That said if you're running street tires, there's every chance they fail before breaking anything else in a BDR. Like diffs, axels, gearboxes, and the like.

Ps. X2 on 750hp's idea of investigating alternatives before diving into a roush.

Good luck with the build and post pics!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good points guys, thanks for the input. I've got plenty of time to think about it.

I like the idea of the 588 because of the warranty. And the wow factor...boys and their bragging!

I'm really surprised about the lack of info on the Web about this engine. It's been out for quite awhile, but not much info on the 588???
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just my 2 cents but have you had the opportunity to drive a Cobra with similar power? Jumping in @ 630 Hp is a big first step imo, you should know what you're getting into before you pull the plug.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Do a search on this site about other member's comments and experience with the Roush motors and their return / warranty matters. Just sayin'
Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roush's build quality, backing of warranty and value has been far from stellar. As others have said, There are much better engines out there for a lot less money.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did some more research on Roush...wow, a lot of bad readings!

Looks like custom build it is!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you are set on a big block, I recommend you go with an FE - especially if you are concerned with "bragging rights". $15-20K can get you a really nice FE build and the engine bay will look like a Cobra if you choose to go that route.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
If you are set on a big block, I recommend you go with an FE - especially if you are concerned with "bragging rights". $15-20K can get you a really nice FE build and the engine bay will look like a Cobra if you choose to go that route.
You can make an FE do anything you want it to... look right, sound right, have blinding performance, whatever. If you don't put an FE in your 427 style Cobra, there will be a segment of the populace that will always be disappointed/confused/irritated. So long as you're not part of that group, then it really doesn't matter. But if you are, or you think you might be, then it becomes the #1 most important decision you make after choosing the manufacturer itself. Personally, I can't even comprehend the notion of not putting an FE in to a quality build of a 427 style car.
Blue66 and Bernica like this.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You can make an FE do anything you want it to... look right, sound right, have blinding performance, whatever. If you don't put an FE in your 427 style Cobra, there will be a segment of the populace that will always be disappointed/confused/irritated. So long as you're not part of that group, then it really doesn't matter. But if you are, or you think you might be, then it becomes the #1 most important decision you make after choosing the manufacturer itself. Personally, I can't even comprehend the notion of not putting an FE in to a quality build of a 427 style car.
I agree with Patrick. For me, an FE is the only answer.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You can make an FE do anything you want it to... look right, sound right, have blinding performance, whatever ...
But actually not "be right" if it's not a 427, how many honest FE 427's are actually in these cars?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default FE or not to FE

I have an FE in my car. I built my car for me. I was not really going for resale.
With that said if you are looking for high horsepower at a decent price point a 385 series engine is a good choice. I'd prefer that over a stroked 427 small block.

I would not go Roush though. The warranty is not so great in practice, the reputation is not so great.

I'd talk to Brent and see what he suggests. He can also help you with clutch, trans and gearing suggestions. All my research suggested the Roush stuff was not a good value.

Lykins Motorsports, LLC

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
But actually not "be right" if it's not a 427, how many honest FE 427's are actually in these cars?
That's an open question for sure. Many original Cobras were fitted with 428 FE's. And I imagine a great deal of the original 427 Side Oilers have found their way into Cobras. Now does your question include modern day "honest" 427 FE's? Such as Shelby blocks or some of the others?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... and you really don't need an "originally correct" 427 or 428 block. A reasonably stout 390 will do you just fine. It looks just the same as my 428 block. You can't tell the difference without pulling parts off to look inside. And you can't see the bulge of a side-oiler unless you jack the car up and crawl under it. I just don't understand why someone would spend the kind of money these cars are costing nowadays and not put in an FE.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

If you are considering a Backdraft, then the engine under the hood is not as critical as if you are trying to fool people with your replica. So build the engine that fits your budget and performance goals.

I really don't think a 385 series engine is the WTG at all in these cars. The video you saw online was the 588R we did, it was nowhere near as thrilling or enjoyable to drive as our higher power 427 Tall Deck options or supercharged varieties of Coyote engines.
Dimis likes this.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
That's an open question for sure. Many original Cobras were fitted with 428 FE's. And I imagine a great deal of the original 427 Side Oilers have found their way into Cobras. Now does your question include modern day "honest" 427 FE's? Such as Shelby blocks or some of the others?
Then make that 427 SOs and 428 FEs Just bringing to light what patrickt said -

"If you don't put an FE in your 427 style Cobra, there will be a segment of the populace that will always be disappointed/confused/irritated."

I would say there is a "populace" out there that finds a 588 FE off the mark as well. Is not a replica to replicate?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and you really don't need an "originally correct" 427 or 428 block. A reasonably stout 390 will do you just fine. It looks just the same as my 428 block. You can't tell the difference without pulling parts off to look inside. And you can't see the bulge of a side-oiler unless you jack the car up and crawl under it. I just don't understand why someone would spend the kind of money these cars are costing nowadays and not put in an FE.
I agree again with Patrick. I had a 390 GT engine I built years ago and they look same. That 390 would snap my neck no problem, and I put it in an F100 pickup!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I agree again with Patrick.
I'll tell ya... that damn Patrick is a friggin' genius.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll tell ya... that damn Patrick is a friggin' genius.
Don't get used to it Pal!