• 1 Post By tortuga
  • 1 Post By tortuga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Long Shot: Carb Tuner SF Bay Area

I would love to get an expert to get in there and tell me “yep thats as good as it can possibly be” specifically all the drivability stuff, ifr size, wells, air bleeds all that...dont care about dyno tuning to get every last bit of high end.

Driving like a maniac the thing is great, around town it’s embarrassing...

Thanks
Old 03-13-2021, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I asked your question on another old car forum. .... BTW, one of the challenges of tuning the Holley 850 XP is that it doesn't come with a vacuum port. So unless you have added one to the carb or intake, the traditional method of using a vacuum gauge won't work. That is another reason the AFR readings are valuable.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-13-2021, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some folks on the other forum suggested this shop: olescarb.com
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-13-2021, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I went to Ole's many years ago. He replaced my mechanical advance only distributor with a vacuum/mechanical advance distributor, and tuned my 750HP carb using his 5 gas analyzer. Runs great. I'm glad to see his web site has been updated since last I looked at it - I had a fear that his business was closed.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I asked your question on another old car forum. .... BTW, one of the challenges of tuning the Holley 850 XP is that it doesn't come with a vacuum port. So unless you have added one to the carb or intake, the traditional method of using a vacuum gauge won't work. That is another reason the AFR readings are valuable.
I do have a vac port T’d off my power brake line.

I will try your suggestion! Thanks man!
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427W
Not Ranked     
Default carb tuning option

Here is an option not too far from you:

Bob Oliver near Reno can tune the carb and if i remember correct you can send it to him.

Competition Carburetion (775) 331-5609 | 5739 Tanberg Drive. Sun Valley, NV 89433
Old 03-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

I can highly recommend Campbell Auto Restoration (CAR).

CAR works on all kinds of muscle cars including original Cobras and replicas as well. I have a Holley 650 with a mechanical choke on the 302 that I am running in my FIA. They were able to make some adjustments to solve an issue where the motor would almost stall during heavy braking and the cold idle speed was not set correctly. After the adjustments, the car starts and runs great if it's cold or hot and the almost stalling issue is gone. CAR is very through and they take the time to understand what the are issues with the car that you are experiencing and what your goals are for the car.

In your case, there may be other problems as well contributing to the drivability issues that you are experiencing and an overall look at the ignition and fuel delivery systems may be in order as well, prior to making any adjustments to the carburetor.

They are not inexpensive, but they are competent, professional and in my experience has been that you get what you pay for.

https://www.campbellautorestoration.com/index.html

- Tim
CompClassics likes this.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Tim

Ill talk to them too!
Old 03-15-2021, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I would say down low you are probably fat but up high I bet your motor kicks a$$ . I have what I believe is a 780 Quick fuel numbers were polished no way of telling for sure on my carb. My car ran fat to so I played with jets and air bleeds. I took many plug readings and used my seat of pants dyno. I now have a car that idles and runs well but lost a lot of that top end. What I am trying to tell you there will be sacrifices . I would say with your set up big carb big cam racing manifold you should be on the fat side of things. Anyways that is what I found good luck to you sir. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yes, Top End is rediculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
I would say down low you are probably fat but up high I bet your motor kicks a$$ . I have what I believe is a 780 Quick fuel numbers were polished no way of telling for sure on my carb. My car ran fat to so I played with jets and air bleeds. I took many plug readings and used my seat of pants dyno. I now have a car that idles and runs well but lost a lot of that top end. What I am trying to tell you there will be sacrifices . I would say with your set up big carb big cam racing manifold you should be on the fat side of things. Anyways that is what I found good luck to you sir. Hope this helps.
But i really dont spend much time there, and from what i have felt with 615 HP on tap, its probably something left alone. I had it rebuilt to get rid of oil consumption not to make a race car out of the thing. It will fry the tires if downshifted into third and nailed on the freeway at freeway speed...The power to weight right now is ridiculous, 50 or 100 HP less would be plenty if thats what i need to get half way civilized manners at low speed stop and go (where unfortunately we have to spend alot of time living in the overcrowded under roaded Bay Area)...

Cheers
SCH
Old 03-16-2021, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

A Dual Plane manifold may be a direction to go to get you to your "more streetable" solution providing your ignition and carb is dialed in. IMO
Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
But i really dont spend much time there, and from what i have felt with 615 HP on tap, its probably something left alone. I had it rebuilt to get rid of oil consumption not to make a race car out of the thing. It will fry the tires if downshifted into third and nailed on the freeway at freeway speed...The power to weight right now is ridiculous, 50 or 100 HP less would be plenty if thats what i need to get half way civilized manners at low speed stop and go (where unfortunately we have to spend alot of time living in the overcrowded under roaded Bay Area)...

Cheers
SCH
You could drop 4 sizes on the main jets take it for a drive then check the plugs . you do not have to pull all one or two should give you a idea. I believe you will find it running cleaner down low maybe a little warmer but you will loose some top end. as far as perfect goes their is no such thing.Their is however the guy who has spent much of his time perfecting . again I say good luck and please share your results. One more thing write down all settings before you begin or you will find it may be a long ride home.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWIW, nobody spends time at "top end" except on a very long straight track where peak HP meets optimum RPM and drivetrain gearing. And that is the only time peak HP is relevant. Correction: Peak HP is also relevant when engine builders are advertising to future customers by listing the dyno HP of their recent engine builds. That is why they build and tune their engines for peak HP rather than the big, flat torque curve that makes street driving fun. ... This engine needs to be tuned for the street. Perhaps it will work with the 850 carb. A professional can show you what is possible.
Gaz64, tortuga and hauss like this.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Made some changes:

Quote:
FWIW, nobody spends time at "top end" except on a very long straight track where peak HP meets optimum RPM and drivetrain gearing. And that is the only time peak HP is relevant. Correction: Peak HP is also relevant when engine builders are advertising to future customers by listing the dyno HP of their recent engine builds. That is why they build and tune their engines for peak HP rather than the big, flat torque curve that makes street driving fun. ... This engine needs to be tuned for the street. Perhaps it will work with the 850 carb. A professional can show you what is possible.
Went from 92 holley jets on the Primary side to Max jet 96s (which are the equivalent of Holley 86s), knocked the squirter on the primary down to 31 from 37 (which was on the cusp of needing a 50cc pump to support-from what ive read with 37s), and threw a bottle of Lucas octane boost in a new tank of fuel.

What should stand out here is idiot me made these changes concurrently...

Result? WWAAAYYY better manners, hesitations stumbles and all are pretty much 99% gone, pig rich gas smell is better. Still dangerous pinning it on the freeway...

SCH

The stock jets on an 850 are 84s so the 86s are still fatter than stock.
rads42 likes this.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Exactly

Quote:
Point well taken, i dont plan on doing long stretches in 5th gear at 6200 RPM...Stunts like that tend to get a guy dead or in jail...
Old 03-25-2021, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Went to OLE’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
I went to Ole's many years ago. He replaced my mechanical advance only distributor with a vacuum/mechanical advance distributor, and tuned my 750HP carb using his 5 gas analyzer. Runs great. I'm glad to see his web site has been updated since last I looked at it - I had a fear that his business was closed.
Did a bunch of testing, recommended going back to a 750 carb, go stock jetting on the 850 for now, checked it all out. Henry is one of those guys who is getting rarer and rarer, great guy. He also went through my buddys 67 L79 carb with some great results.

Thanks for the tip!
Randy Rosenberg likes this.