Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   How many people work on their own Cobra? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/137278-how-many-people-work-their-own-cobra.html)

joyridin' 09-27-2016 03:06 PM

How many people work on their own Cobra?

I don't mean you got your pinky dirty from changing he oil, I mean you tore out the rear-end, pulled the engine or heads, stripped the body down to bare fiberglass, welded up the frame etc on your own?

How many actually have gotten their hands dirty working on their Cobra?

cobrakiwi 09-27-2016 03:15 PM

My hands up:LOL: I built my own, as well as a few others;)

john chesnut 09-27-2016 03:18 PM

I purchased a body shell than built my own frame and other parts to finish my Cobra.

cycleguy55 09-27-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1404523)
I don't mean you got your pinky dirty from changing he oil, I mean you tore out the rear-end, pulled the engine or heads, stripped the body down to bare fiberglass, welded up the frame etc on your own?

How many actually have gotten their hands dirty working on their Cobra?

There has been a lot done on my car, and the only things not done by me were: a) the wheel alignments; and b) replacing the bushings in the front suspension.

Most, but not all of the work done / installed by me:
  • Moroso 5° carburetor wedge plate
  • Factory Five Racing accelerator pedal & throttle cable assembly
  • 5° K&N 9” filter and X-Stream top
  • MSD #8477 distributor
  • Custom road racing oil pan & pickup
  • Melling M-83HV oil pump
  • Ford Racing 90° Oil Filter Adapter M-6880-A50
  • Replaced lever on Hurst shifter
  • Leather shift boot
  • Custom 92 litre aluminum fuel tank
  • QA1 thrust bearing kit - front coil-overs
  • QA1 adjustable shock absorbers - rear
  • Richmond PowerTrax Grip-Pro torque-sensing differential
  • Front - Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kit 140-11017 w/vented rotors; SS braided lines
  • Rear - MBM Disk Brake Kit DBK9 (GM calipers with integral parking / emergency brakes)
  • Adjustable proportioning valve
  • Aluminum remote brake fluid reservoir / filler
  • Honda Civic del Sol high back bucket seats
  • Oil temperature gauge
  • Brake system failure indicator lamp
  • Period-correct rear view mirror
  • Dual “bullet” style side mirrors mounted to windshield frame
  • Locking hood latches w/ keyed-alike trunk latch
  • Back-up lights – LED
  • Daytime running lamps – LED
  • Centre-mounted 3rd brake lamp - LED
  • Patriot Exhaust auger-style muffler inserts
  • Gas-charged struts to support trunk lid
  • Battery re-located in sealed battery box

mrmustang 09-27-2016 03:23 PM

Cobras and so much more, just as long as it is not computer controlled or fuel injected, those two items I leave to the professionals

LG57 09-27-2016 03:24 PM

I try to do all my own maintenance on my ERA also. Pulled the rear end and installed replacement stub shafts, bearings and seals, brake pads and various bushings and bearings. Then pulled the top loader and gave it new syncros, bearings and seals. Also disassembled the shifter and gave it good cleaning and reinstalled with steel bushings. Shifts mo betta!

joyridin' 09-27-2016 03:28 PM

NICE JOB! It is good to see there are Cobra owners that aren't just armchair mechanics!! Hopefully we'll get a few more replies!

dcdoug 09-27-2016 04:02 PM

I do all the work on CSX6022 and get help from local club members when I need it.

bill37341 09-27-2016 04:29 PM

Started with a drum of polyester resin, a bolt of 1 1/2 ounce mat, 2 pieces of 2X4 tubing . 191/2 years later I was finished. Phew!

Antny 09-27-2016 04:54 PM

I wrote a fat check for mine. Then proceeded to take it apart to see what made it tick, and to make it more betterer. Do I have to sit in an assigned seat in the corner? :-(

DanEC 09-27-2016 05:03 PM

Started with an un-painted, semi-roller from ERA and did the body, paint, interior, engine/trans drop, front suspension, electrical install, final assembly, fitted the top, etc. But - I admit to wimping out on the rear suspension, engine build and transmission rebuild. I figured I would rather rely on someone who had seen the inside of a Jag differential and a Toploader before. Plus I would probably still be building if I tried to build my own engine and rear IRS suspension and this was sort of a retirement project and I'm not getting any younger.

Forgot to add - I have 3 older cars (I count the ERA as older) and I never take them to anyone for work. I do my own alignments, repairs, servicing, etc. Even when I need new tires I remove the wheels and only take the wheels/old & new tires to them for mounting and balancing. When I wanted new gears and posi in my 67 GTX, I pulled the center section and took it to a shop to set up and then re-installed myself.

Dwight 09-27-2016 05:51 PM

Build my first a Lone Star in 2000 - 2001

In 2003 I build a 30' x 50' shop and bought a lot of tools to work on cars. A few years later I added 20' x 50' to the back. Still not large enough.
Five years ago I retired and now I have something to keep me busy. And I enjoy it.

Rebuild several Cobra since then.

I have a Street Beast in my shop now. The owner brought me a frame and body.
Don't want to talk about the GT 40 that's about 80% complete, that I have not worked on in a year.

Dwight

Dwight 09-27-2016 05:55 PM

Bill I noticed you are in Harrison Tenn.

Have you hooked up with the Chattanooga Cobra bunch?

Dwight

Large Arbor 09-27-2016 06:22 PM

I did not build mine, but I have had the transmission out twice, rear end out once (axel seal change), replaced head gaskets, distributor, etc. I consider myself to have mediocre skills.

Phil

moore_rb 09-27-2016 06:39 PM

Unless my car is strapped down, spinning the drum on a dyno, nobody's tools (or hands) are touching it, but mine....:cool:

1985 CCX 09-27-2016 06:41 PM

Guess I can raise my hand......

lal Naja 09-27-2016 06:52 PM

Built mine without any assistance, but for the time when 5 guys helped lower the body on to the frame. Took me 27 years to get to this point and about 5,000 hours I think. It's a love-hate relationship. Sometimes it's just hard work and solitude, but I love the end result.

All that needs to be done is for me to stop driving her, do a total dismantle, body work and painting and that is another solo event for me. But I'm having way too much fun driving the car to think about wrenching on it.

Below is a link to the photo album of my Asp-eration. :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0d9c5c8c6d

studebaker53 09-27-2016 06:57 PM

This will be my second Classic Roadsters cobra. I buy just the body and frames. Everything from there-after is done with my own hands....suspension, wiring, motor/trans, paint, interior...etc..I don't just do cobras but 55/56/57 chevys, Studebakers and fords...

Alfa02 09-27-2016 08:10 PM

I'll put my $.03 in. I'm building (finishing) My Classic Roadster as we speak, when done there won't be a piece I haven't touched (but body & paint) Black art to me. Good hearing from you yesterday Mark, glad you got your headlight issues solved. If you need anything else just ask, me or lots of guy's here that know all the answer's.

twobjshelbys 09-27-2016 08:40 PM

I worked on my engine and other stuff on my CSX. It reminded me of the stuff from the 60s and 50s Ford tractors. Not a frame/body guy. I don't do drywall any more either.