Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Windshields breaking (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/137397-windshields-breaking.html)

RACERAL 10-18-2016 06:40 PM

Windshields breaking

Of all the different brands that are out there in Cobra land... do you guys hear of windshields breaking very often?

jhv48 10-18-2016 06:54 PM

I'm on my third windshield.

It's covered by your comp insurance. You might want to drop your deductible to $100 because if you do a lot of driving, you'll be replacing windshields.

Blas 10-18-2016 06:56 PM

Owners who "snug-up" the screws periodically have had problems. The screw end contacts the edge of glass and that can cause a crack radiating from that touch point. On side wings or WS mounting side bracket screws this is especially true. Some cars that had center bars experienced the same problems early XKE's did with cracking glass too. Passengers tend to use windshield frame as a handle when entering or exiting the car.... A definite no-no.

scootter 10-18-2016 08:53 PM

46,000 miles and putting in #4. This last one was a huge rock that hit right in front of my wife!!
Dam truck thought he was doing a favor pulling on the FN shoulder doing 60mph throwing up all the rocks!
Scott

keezling 10-19-2016 08:22 AM

55,000 miles, so far so good! Lots of flex at freeway speeds makes me nervous.

RACERAL 10-19-2016 10:35 AM

Just wondering if different brands were having the same problems. It seems the F5 guys have a lot of these issues.
Like above, the little screws can be screwed in to far... need to have a couple of threads cut off.. and the other issue that seems to help is the way your windshield post are mounted... washers used as spacers... to get the right fit without bending things out of wack.

Frank Messina 10-19-2016 10:46 AM

Al,
I thought I had done everything possible to prevent that from occurring. Replaced the brass strips with stainless steel bar and shortened the screws and it still cracked. When I installed the replacement glass in 2006 I dressed the ends of the screws again and so far so good.
Frank

csw 10-19-2016 11:30 AM

Was wondering if anyone has tried the scratch resistant lexan? Miy windshield split right down the middle, but was wondering if anyone had any luck with the lexan before ordering a new windshield. Not to mention, no shop wants to mess with installing the new glass and say hey can't be responsible if it breaks while being installed. Guess I could run a piece of chrome trim and make it a one of a kind split window Cobra!

Blas 10-19-2016 12:33 PM

I don't believe that Lexan or poly-carb are DOT legal for a windshield in some or all states. What the ramifications would be from your car insurance in the event of an accident I don't know. Same goes for Billboard tires I believe and our little red taillight lens. Also, if I recall correctly, our large racing type seat belts and shoulder harnesses..... go figure.....

mikeinatlanta 10-19-2016 08:21 PM

Fast Freddies makes a polycarbonate screen.

AZ Cobra Mike 10-19-2016 09:37 PM

My glass windshield cracked from the screw tightening problem and had a nasty chip anyway. Replaced it with a fast Freddie's Lexan windshield and have been on some pretty long drives on Arizona and reservation interstate highways with no problems. And it takes speed just fine. Doesn't flex anymore than the glass did. Best thing was that it was a very easy install. Wife and I did it an about an hour or so at home.

Mike

Snake2998 10-20-2016 12:57 AM

25 years and nary a broken windshield.

Jaydee 10-20-2016 02:34 AM

If you have a new glass installed, would it be a good idea to have some glass ground away, where the screw holes are. There is not much thread to play with in the first place, and I'm afraid of having the screw too short and stripping the thread.
JD

RACERAL 10-20-2016 06:08 AM

A lot of the F5 guys are going to the Lexan windshield. They seem to really like it.

Drake 10-28-2016 10:33 AM

My first windshield got so pitted I couldn't see when driving into the sun. I replaced it with a lexan shield from Fast Freddie. Much lighter and good optics. Can't wear my polarized glasses though. White cars look pink and asphalt patches look shiney like spilled oil. Pitting is way less than glass. I have a ton of miles on it with no problems.

Scufty 10-31-2016 09:40 PM

Yup...made my own Lexan and have had zero problems. Love it...and not expensive either

glenninsandiego 10-31-2016 10:41 PM

How does one contact Mr. Fast Freddie about these Lexan windshields?

joyridin' 11-01-2016 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenninsandiego (Post 1407617)
How does one contact Mr. Fast Freddie about these Lexan windshields?

He has ads on Ebay all the time. It is really easy to make one of your own. Make a template of the windshield, go to a place that sells scratch resistant Lexan and have it cut. Install and done.the place near me charges $125 for the lexan cut to the shape of the windshield.

DonC 11-01-2016 06:10 AM

Fast Freddie's web site:

Fast Freddie's Fabrications - Fast Freddie's Lexan Roadster Windshield

DonC

D-CEL 11-10-2016 07:58 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._012_small.jpg

I love my little windshield! Ill never go back