• 1 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Tire prep and paint suggestions

I know there's been lots of discussion of this over different threads and I've read them, but am still left with questions.

Due to cracking on my sidewalls (not sure if it was just superficial, but not worth the chance of a blowout on the highway), tire age of 6+ years and one tire going flat, I upgraded from GY Billboards this winter to Avons. Having DOT legal tires will be nice too.

Tires are mounted, but I want to paint AVON on the sidewalls before re-installing the wheels. I prefer the paint look vs the TredWear raised letter look and have already ordered stencils (From Raceline, but a slightly smaller 2.5" than the 3" tall letters they normally sell). I'd also prefer to go with a spray paint than a brush-on paint like Ranger.

So with all that as a preface, here are my questions:

1. I know that Avons are a more oily tire and that can create paint adhesion problems - what's the best way to prep the tires prior to paint?

2. Any suggestions of spray paints? I found these below that have been recommended elsewhere for use on tires. I know a few guys just used "any old white primer", but the paint turns deep yellow-brown pretty quickly and I'd rather have it age more like the GY Billboards did - just a gradual light patina over time.

SEM COLOR COAT LT. PARCHMENT SEM VINYL AEROSOL 15823

COLOR COAT WHITE

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...FYaEswoddaIPlA

Thoughts?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I know there's been lots of discussion of this over different threads and I've read them, but am still left with questions.

Due to cracking on my sidewalls (not sure if it was just superficial, but not worth the chance of a blowout on the highway), tire age of 6+ years and one tire going flat, I upgraded from GY Billboards this winter to Avons. Having DOT legal tires will be nice too.

Tires are mounted, but I want to paint AVON on the sidewalls before re-installing the wheels. I prefer the paint look vs the TredWear raised letter look and have already ordered stencils (From Raceline, but a slightly smaller 2.5" than the 3" tall letters they normally sell). I'd also prefer to go with a spray paint than a brush-on paint like Ranger.

So with all that as a preface, here are my questions:

1. I know that Avons are a more oily tire and that can create paint adhesion problems - what's the best way to prep the tires prior to paint?

2. Any suggestions of spray paints? I found these below that have been recommended elsewhere for use on tires. I know a few guys just used "any old white primer", but the paint turns deep yellow-brown pretty quickly and I'd rather have it age more like the GY Billboards did - just a gradual light patina over time.

SEM COLOR COAT LT. PARCHMENT SEM VINYL AEROSOL 15823

COLOR COAT WHITE

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...FYaEswoddaIPlA

Thoughts?
There's a thread on H.A.M.B. / Jalopyjournal from someone who did wide white walls: "wash the sidewall at least 3 times with acetone - paint the tires with white latex house primer - put 3 thin coats on. letting dry overnight between coats - i ran tires like this for 3 years with only slight discoloring & NO peeling"

Another suggested using Kilz for the first coat. I've used it in our house to block stains on the walls. You might want KILZ COMPLETE® Aerosol as it appears to be the only one with an exterior rating. http://www.kilz.com/products/primer/...mplete-aerosol

Yet another suggested thinning the paint and spraying it.

Cheap Wide Whitewalls (revisited) using "White Tire Paint" | The H.A.M.B.
dcdoug likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 03-24-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The advantage of the SEM paint for vinyl is that is supposed to be more flexible and less prone to cracking than regular latex.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)