• 1 Post By Dimis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Engine Value?

As side-oilers become more and more scarce, and new blocks harder to come by, I am curious as to how much value it adds to a car.

Assuming the same car, a well constructed, as true as possible to the originals, say an ERA, what do you feel the difference in price would be if

1) equipped with bored/stroked FE center-oiler block (390 or 428) total displacement greater than 427

2) equipped with a OEM side-oiler block (displacement 427 or greater)

3) equipped with an aftermarket aluminum side-oiler block (displacement 427 or greater)
I am confident there is some difference in price/value. Curious what the consensus is

Paul
Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Well here's a question with many answers...

If it were me buying then I'd approach it with "my" value system, that I accept may not be the norm or even the popular consensus.

But for the sake of the argument here goes:

If in an ERA as per your post, I'd be inclined to pay the same as a 428 or stroked (390) 445. ie: I wouldn't be influenced by it being a "real" side oiler. I'd put other parameters ahead, like build quality, general condition and even colour.

If it were a "real" CSX (as in 3000series), then sure I'd pay more for the privilege of a real 427 side oiler over a 428.
However at the same time if it were in a kirkham I wouldn't. Id prefer to chase a car with a new aftermarket Aluminium block. And it be more desirable to me if it were stroked. I'd be inclined personally to overlook a kirkham with a real 427 sideoiler or other cast iron block in favour of the aforementioned.

If spf or ffr or other I'd be inclined to hold off for a stroked sbf, than purchase one with a side oiler. It's not to say I don't appreciate those who build cars with side oilers in them, it's just that I wouldn't spend the extra coin on that bragging right myself.

Cheers
joyridin' likes this.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure it makes much difference in the used car market place as long as it's 427 cubic inches or more and from the FE family. A side oiler isn't really necessary to prove adherence to originality - most originals came with FE center oilers anyway. To the right person, the right used car with a side oiler may well sell for a bit of a premium. If having a side oiler was a key issue with a buyer I would want an all original one and not an aftermarket one. If I was after mega-HP bragging rights then I would be looking for an aftermarket block with all the modern heads, intake, carbs/FI, etc. It all comes down to how right the entire car is in a buyer's mind and what it's worth to them.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Opinions only? OK, here goes….

Good choice with the ERA 427 as the ‘model’.

1. First choice for me (ie most value) would be a standard stroke 427 FE SO.
I was actually ready to put my money where my mouth is...I did seriously consider Ernie's (Excaliber) ERA 427 SO back about seven years ago; there unfortunately were a few too many barriers against importing it into Aus.
The 427 SO was the engine of choice in the originals, of course.

2. 428 FE, as per most originals. I would value a spec. that was close to original

3. 427 FE aluminium modern next, and preferably standard stroke

4. 390 FE bored/stroked to at least 427 capacity

5. I wouldn’t consider an ERA 427 with an SBF

Cheers,
Glen
Old 07-29-2017, 05:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So far as resale value goes it really depends on what a person buying one wants. To me a side oiler is less likely to be the same as an original as most of them had center oilers and some of those were replaced by side oilers. I have had every type of Ford engine at one time or another except a 427 OHC and they all work well for whatever you want. Just my opinion but I wouldn't pay a lot more for a side oiler.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-29-2017, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

This is one of those questions that a person may give different answers on different days.

I have read so many stories of issues with SO blocks having sleeves and other repairs and problems, I think a would prefer purchasing a disassemble engine over a running engine. When you realize what a 427 SO is, it's easy to suspect that over the last 50 years it has been thrashed and crashed a great many times. On top of that, there we so few of them made. That said for me purchasing a running original 427 SO is scary, and at the same time the owner believes it should fetch the premium price.

I would be less scared of a 390 stroked. There were millions made and finding a good low mileage never abused block is easy compared to a 427 SO. This fact also makes them less costly. So I could pay less, and have a better chance of getting a good engine. I'm liking that feeling, more for less!

Now an aftermarket new aluminum block with a much better oiling system, in my mind delivers the most value, in terms of what it is and how it will perform. Of late there has been talk of quality issues with these blocks, so this is an engine I would feel more comfortable purchasing in running condition than disassembled. The owner also feels it should fetch a premium price. So you are going to pay more to get more.

But if the question is a person has an ERA and has each engine running in another car and he will install any of the three engines and sell it to you at the same price, regardless of which engine you choose, I choose the newer aftermarket aluminum FE.

PS
Now if the person was trustworthy and had a good story and papers to back it up, I might be swayed to go with any one of the other two engines depending on the story.

Last edited by olddog; 07-29-2017 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You asked for consensus and you will not get that here (:

I've bought and sold a few ERAs and my cars have had all the engines that have been discussed here. However, no two cars can be "all else being equal". That scenario doesn't exist, even with factory built ERAs - especially on the used market if that is what you are considering.

The swing in premium between a well built 390 and well built 427 S/O can be $10-20K++ depending on the details of the engine build and who built it. There are tons of factors to consider.