Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Just me looking back at choices

I bought my car at Hot August Nights in Reno. I hada desire for a Cobra before I left for VM in 1970. When I returned I saw an original in LA and was reignited. My uncle found a 56 Cobra add in the local paper. It was a 1956 AC bristle with a 215 cuin. Oldsmobile aluminum V8 engine installed. I had it for about six years. It was broken and it did fit young family. I still wanted some thing too look forward to. Much family turmoil while out of town going to a school for work, I saw another replica Cobra and decided that was the thing that would save me from doing my self harm. I later told my wife that I'd give time to get things in order. I had a 428 engine the garage that I had built and moved out here. That when I turned 50 , I wanted to bring the Cobra thing back into my life. buy or build a Cobra replica. Thing got better we took trips together. We visited different Cobra replica manufactures and went to Hot August Nights two year s and I found this Replica. I had a good share of the money saved just for this. I sold my 428 and other things to this end. It makee me smile a lot but no soft top or side curtains, cut down air cleaners were issues for me over the long run.
We bought a little house and remodeled , didn't do much to the single car garage. Mistake, cant open doors and walk around car in garage. I built a nice shed to get thing out of the way but that is not enough The windshield was leaned back and later found it was off center. That turned into a can of worms breaking windshield and side curtain would not fit. The soft top kit I bought would not fit over my slightly higher roll bar. It goes on and on.
I did not address it all back when I when I was younger and more fit and able. I should have altered the mounting issue back then. The brackets to the cowl hoop weren't just right. I should have replaced those mounting plates and repositioned the windshield side ways and at the correct angle which is 57° from horizontal per EM. The shop I used side stepped that and corrected the wrong angle issue bringing the windshield angle bringing the stanchions up through original slots but now the windshield is now forward about an inch to a inch and a half forward of original position. now the soft top is short of the wind shield, will not fit over the roll bar and rear roll brace. So now the top will be recreated using my soft top as a pattern . I was on for using the hard ware. Now find that the intension is to take my soft top apart and use it as a pattern and estimate labor at $3,400.
When built the original builder went with a nostalgic intake system. The engine in a Cobra Replica sits almost level. Production car intake manifolds are meant for engines sitting at an rear down angle so now carbs are at an angle in a replica. I'd go with a hand built intake manifold for a large single four barrel like a Holley 4500 or I'd buy Webber sort of intake system. Fuel injection is now quite common. If carburation is desired a single large Id four barrel like Holley 4500 Holley, will let you have a great air cleaner and center fuel floats and secondary accelerator fuel squinters
I am with the people that think the front opening hood scoop is nostalgic but of little advantage. I've driven in the pouring rain and ingesting rain in on the air cleaner and or the distributor are a concern. If the car stops you are stuck with it. You can't walk away and expect it to be left alone. So I don't like my carb and intake manifold choices and hood scoop as it stands now.

So my conclusion is get it right as early as possible before you get too old.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-28-2020 at 02:49 PM..
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Things I now would build in if I were to do it again,
Bigger wheels for bigger brakes, power steering. if not power brakes at least assisted. Two roll bars and quick release shoulder and lap racing harness for driver and passenger. Use them Soft top and side curtains so windshield would need to be at the correct angle Get at least a second spare hood early on. no hood scoop or functional air induction , I like the rear opening scoop or bulges . I thought it was for cowl induction and found it was intended to evacuate air from under the hood. the non traditional chin spoiler is not nostalgic but functional. mirror are great . When I got older I found it harder to turn around to see so as time goes on. Not supposed to say hidden built in radar detector will help MAYBE? I've talked to a lot of other replica owners and most have some if not a lot of second thoughts about what they chose or did. remember we are talking about replicas it is not an original and I heard Shelby say "with histrionically warranted modifications"

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-28-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-29-2020, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keeping things standard will cost less in the long run. I bought a nice looking car. it had some problems EM said the bodies back in 84 were somewhat fluid so either by design or by plan the windshield was 3/4 inch different side to side I knew the windshield was not at the correct angle. Getting the windshield at the correct angle was spendy and the soft top is now too short of the windshield and the little taller roll bar is not going to work so another soft top is being made . Boy is that going to cost me $$$ .I've bought whole cars for less.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Every car I've ever owned, built, or modified, I always look back and say.....

I had an instructor once who called it a "retrospectascope".
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 05-30-2020, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now it looks like I may have a pair of standard side curtain to find new home for. They are also short of the windshield. I protested the upholsters, that my garage chose, was intending to tear my perfect standard soft top apart and used it for patterns, making it a pile of rags to create another different soft top. that price didn't include the side curtains. I'm stopping for now with the soft top . Once it is done I'll find someone else to make the fitting side curtains. The prices are unbelievable.. This Covid thing is creating real obstacles . businesses are not up and running , no call backs or replies. It makes me feel rejected even with some money. So now the mood is I'll spread my money around to other shops. The great thing is I only have the one Cobra Replica. I could never do this again to another project. I'm sorry I said my projected project aloud to the Garage because It is taking all of that and I still have the side curtain issues.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-18-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Old 06-18-2020, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I, for the most part, like my dash board lay out, with the exception of the keyed ignition switch is mounted to the left side , in the protected area. It is mounted low and the extra keys gouge my left leg and knee. I plan on moving the switch higher . I do not know how or where.