• 1 Post By Mark IV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Antifreeze

I’ve been reading about all the different antifreeze types currently available. Is there one that is preferred for a new Superformance Cobra?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Use Ford "orange" coolant. You can get it a Ford dealer in either pre-mixed or concentrate (why pay for water?) It is what we use exclusively as it is formulated for mixed material engines and cooling systems.
1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

If your system is completely empty (block included), it doesn't matter which one you use. Pick one and just always use that same one. If you already have some coolant in the system, use what is already in there.

Don't fall for the "you can use this coolant in any system" sales pitch. I had a jeep and had to top off the system. Used the universal green stuff. The OAT mixed with the HOAT coagulated. I had to replace the water pump, radiator, thermostat, heater core, and most of the lines. Luckily I was able to flush out the block.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use CAT extended life pre mixed. Been using it in vehicles with over 250k and never had to change it. It's worth the time and trouble to head to your nearest CAT dealer and buy some. JMHO
Old 02-23-2018, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

If you have an Amsoil dealer nearby, check out thier propylene glycol coolants. There are non toxic, biodegradable, and I can tell you that they will outperform and outlast any conventional coolant.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

What is recommended with an all aluminum block and heads?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: North American Fiberglass (NAF), 454 Chevrolet
Send a message via MSN to djspiderman
Not Ranked     
Default Coolant

I'm running Evans Waterless coolant. Google it. Very good stuff. Has boiling point above 350 degrees. Never have to change it. Expensive but worth it.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Prestone claims their product is compatible with all systems:

New Prestone Cor-Guard™ was the result of seven years of research and development at the renowned Prestone Innovation Center. The development team set out to improve existing technology AND to maintain Prestone's ability to work in any car and light-duty truck. New Prestone will not void your warranty and can be used to fill your radiator after a flush and clean or it can be added to your existing fluid to optimize your system.

Prestone | Cor-Guard
Old 03-01-2018, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Prestone claims their product is compatible with all systems:

New Prestone Cor-Guard™ was the result of seven years of research and development at the renowned Prestone Innovation Center. The development team set out to improve existing technology AND to maintain Prestone's ability to work in any car and light-duty truck. New Prestone will not void your warranty and can be used to fill your radiator after a flush and clean or it can be added to your existing fluid to optimize your system.

Prestone | Cor-Guard
Yeah, read my post above. I added the Prestone "compatible with all systems" fluid and it coagulated what was already in there. You may get lucky and it works. It didn't for me.

It may be compatible with all *systems*, but it isn't necessarily compatible with all other coolants that may already be in those systems.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 03-01-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Use Ford "orange" coolant. You can get it a Ford dealer in either pre-mixed or concentrate (why pay for water?) It is what we use exclusively as it is formulated for mixed material engines and cooling systems.
This Ford formula is compatible with aluminum and iron. Used very widely by FoMoCo and I have been told by a competitive make engineer that it is a very good coolant formula.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I went with Ford orange coolant. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good choice.

Are you ready for first start?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     

A SAE certified mechanic recently recommended that I drain/flush my coolant system and install anti-freeze that's made for Japanese cars, the reason being that those are formulated to be compatible with aluminum blocks and cylinder heads. Traditional American anti-freeze coolant blends tend to eat away at aluminum over time.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:35 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520SC View Post
A SAE certified mechanic recently recommended that I drain/flush my coolant system and install anti-freeze that's made for Japanese cars, the reason being that those are formulated to be compatible with aluminum blocks and cylinder heads. Traditional American anti-freeze coolant blends tend to eat away at aluminum over time.
Uh, the big three have been iron/alloy block/heads for like 20 years!?! All of the domestic anti freeze formulas for light duty are aluminum compatible.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've heard that too. Lots of conflicting opinions out there. But he has a SAE certification, runs his own shop, and has a good reputation, so I trust that what he tells me won't hurt my car.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by djspiderman View Post
I'm running Evans Waterless coolant. Google it. Very good stuff. Has boiling point above 350 degrees. Never have to change it. Expensive but worth it.
Yes. I've been reading about that stuff. You have to flush the system first with the Prep Fluid to remove all the water/coolant in the system.
They say it will not corrode the system like traditional coolants do and it never needs changed. But it is quite expensive, as you've pointed out.
$32.00 a gallon for the Prep
$46.00 a gallon for the coolant.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Plus, if you blow a line on the side of the road, you can't just fill it back up with stuff from the local O'Reilly.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Call AAA. If you don't have AAA, then you'll have a difficult decision. Pay for a tow truck to get home, or top it off with O'Reilly coolant and start all over.