Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   "The Cobra Club" grill badge (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/140932-cobra-club-grill-badge.html)

my427cobra 05-16-2018 08:49 AM

"The Cobra Club" grill badge

I came across this pic on computerworks' gallery titled "CSX 2306 SAAC 30".

Is/was this badge available or can we see if there is any interest in having them made?

Cheers
Greg

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...Club_badge.JPG

Alfa02 05-16-2018 08:59 AM

If you can find them, or have them made, I'm up for one. Also anybody in the NW region have a extra NW sticker or two, Bruce gave me his two extra's I would like to put one on my tow rig. Cheers Tom.

CSX 4133 05-16-2018 10:02 AM

LOL ! Looks like something someone threw together, especially the hose clamp mount.

ACademic 05-16-2018 11:25 AM

Why?:eek:

my427cobra 05-17-2018 07:38 AM

Why? Just thought it looked cool.

We could rename it "Club Cobra".

Not sure what "The Cobra Club" was.

Not SAAC. Not Cobra Owners Club.

Cheers
Greg

Mark IV 05-17-2018 07:46 AM

The "Cobra Club" was a predecessor to SAAC. It was run by Bruce Jodar and eventually was folded into SAAC.

Alfa02 05-17-2018 08:49 AM

I agree with my427cobra. It's a nice looking badge, without the hose clamps :) Anybody out there that could come up with a "Club Cobra" badge? I'm sure we aren't only two that would buy them, it would be great to show that we belong to this wonderful site. Cheers Tom.

RB60 05-18-2018 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1444512)
I agree with my427cobra. It's a nice looking badge, without the hose clamps :) Anybody out there that could come up with a "Club Cobra" badge? I'm sure we aren't only two that would buy them, it would be great to show that we belong to this wonderful site. Cheers Tom.

I'd be interested too, I missed out on the hats :CRY: Even a nice windshield sticker would be nice to show we are members of this great "club."

my427cobra 05-18-2018 08:16 AM

I have numerous dash plaques and badges from various Cobra and SAAC events that I'm going to "shadow box" into a display that I'll put in my trunk for car shows.

An original "The Cobra Club" or "Club Cobra" badge would be welcome additions.

Cheers
Greg

Nedsel 05-18-2018 08:39 AM

That was a shot of my 289 (CSX 2306) from several years back, and yes I left the Cobra Club badge on the car after first putting it on back in 1972. Originally, there was white paint where the badge now shows the brass base material; the paint flaked off over time. As mentioned earlier, The Cobra Club was started back in the early 70's, and was one of - if not the- earliest national clubs for Cobra owners. Founded by Bruce Jodar in Michigan, I'm guessing it never had more than a few hundred members, and when SAAC was founded in 1976, both it and the Shelby Owners Association were folded into it. Because of its short life span and limited membership, few of those badges were produced, and fewer still exist today. As for the hose-clamp attaching methodology, please remember, that was state of the art back in '72!

Alfa02 05-18-2018 03:42 PM

Thank you Ned, for the history on your badge. Nice to know it's still on your Cobra. As far as getting another one "A very dear friend" said he may have one from that era, and I may have it, If he can find it. At the time he got his, he had his GT-350. I would cherish it, if he finds it, Fingers Crossed :) Do you see any problem (Legal wise) of getting "Club Cobra" badges made??? Cheers Tom.

RB60 05-19-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1444569)
Thank you Ned, for the history on your badge. Nice to know it's still on your Cobra. As far as getting another one "A very deal friend" said he may have one from that era, and I may have it, If he can find it. At the time he got his, he had his GT-350. I would cherish it, if he finds it, Fingers Crossed :) Do you see any problem (Legal wise) of getting "Club Cobra" badges made??? Cheers Tom.

I'd think if what was made is specific to this site, no legal problems could arise.

my427cobra 05-19-2018 06:38 AM

I wonder how closely we could copy/replicate the Cobra from the hood badges onto the grill badge without any copyright infringement from Ford/Shelby or SAAC?

Cheers Greg

CSX 4133 05-19-2018 07:33 AM

This is my understanding of the trademark issue. I highly doubt SAAC would allow anything similar to their approved insignia, and I cannot blame them.

SHELBY®, CARROLL SHELBY®, GT-350®, GT-350H®, GT-350R®, GT-500® and KR® are registered trademarks and/or the trade dress of Carroll Shelby and Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc. (Shelby). COBRA and the COBRA SNAKE Designs are trademarks of Ford Motor Company used under license.

Buzz 05-19-2018 11:19 AM

I actually had the idea of creating custom emblems for my car. Changed to add cc moniker. This look might be too modern for many, but I would be up for designing a CC badge if someone would source a supplier and send me the artwork specs/requirements.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=17556

Alfa02 05-19-2018 04:29 PM

Buzz, I like it, I like it a lot!! Round kinda go's with our 7" round headlight's & would fit in nicely in our grille area or rear with mine having round taillights. Anyone else want to chime in?? How do we go from here?

Nedsel 05-19-2018 07:18 PM

Legal issues? Who knows. Things were a lot simpler back in '72. If you reproduced a Cobra logo (or something similar) to pay homage to the car or to Shelby, it was considered a compliment. Not any more. In this new age of predatory lawyers, you can be sued for anything, anywhere, at any time. It has gotten stupid. Probably best to get permission from whoever claims ownership rights of whatever image you want to use.

EM-0785 05-19-2018 08:15 PM

Buzz you’re quite the artist, and a poet. Per your recent post below, finer words may have never been written!

"The 460 is generally a torque monster, so driving a Cobra with one is like riding a dragon. Keep it calm and reigned in and all is smooth and sedate. Just always be ready, though, before you jab it with the spurs - because you're about to open the gates of hell!"

I shared that with my brother and he says he might need to get that tattooed on his chest. That is, of course, with your permission Buzz! ☺☺

I generally agree with Ned’s approach. Perhaps local clubs have done otherwise with their stickers or such, and gotten by, I don’t know. It seems approval, if viable, is best/wisest. Perhaps they’d view it as a joint effort to keep the brand vibrant among their enthusiasts and market.

Brent

Buzz 05-20-2018 09:11 AM

In a case such as this, there would be no problem with the artwork itself. That is my own unique caricature of a cobra snake and not a copy of anyone's logo or artwork. Nobody on this planet can own the rights to the "idea" of a cobra's head and anybody anywhere can draw one and use it as they please. The name "Club Cobra" used in reference to the vehicle itself could probably be arguable, but the bottom line is that we are not talking about a commercial venture here. We're a group of enthusiasts using OUR original artwork to produce badges/stickers for OUR personal use. I can't see that being a problem unless we try to sell loads of them on Ebay. :)

Buzz 05-20-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EM-0785 (Post 1444610)
I shared that with my brother and he says he might need to get that tattooed on his chest. That is, of course, with your permission Buzz! ☺☺

Brent

I'd be honoured! :LOL::LOL::LOL: