Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra stuff to do & see in Jolly olde England?

To our esteemed English enthusiasts, and other well travelled connoisseurs of Cobras, I will be in England from June 22nd for about 4 weeks and I'm looking for any possible Cobra or car related people/places/events that I should try to see. The first week will be mostly spent with in-laws up north in and around Newcastle and then we'll be in London for a week or so before heading to Italy.
In addition to the normal attractions, I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions from any of you who live in or are familiar with London.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's a plaque on the wall noting the location of AC Cars factory in Thames Ditton I think. The factory is gone now though or so I'm told. Business offices I guess. It's on High Street, Surrey. Would still be cool to see the area though. It's on my bucket list. I've been to Shelby's place in California, so Thames Ditton would make it complete!
Larry
Old 02-19-2018, 02:20 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi, I hope you enjoy your visit to UK. I live in a small village 30 miles south of Newcastle and have a Cobra and 3 Aces, there are also two replica Cobras in our village. There is a strong Cobra replica following in the area, I'm sure you would enjoy meeting them and seeing their cars. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make your visit interesting. PM sent
Old 02-19-2018, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Larry - I'll add that to my bucket list as well.

Russ - wow - thanks. It would incredible to meet you and see (hopefully photograph) your cars! I really appreciate your offer and I will privately send you the details of our time in Newcastle. I'm really looking forward to the trip now!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

You should plan on the Goodwood Festival of Speed near Chichester in July

I will be there
Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ozzie Goat, I would love to go to Goodwood, but unfortunately we'll be in Italy at the time of the festival. They're commemorating Porsche this year so it should be a good one - enjoy!

Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Life intervenes

Just an update on our travel plans to the UK and Italy originally scheduled for this month. My wife was unfortunately diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer last month and she is being treated at a highly regarded cancer institute in Canada. She remains her usual upbeat and positive self and we are enjoying re-planning our trip for the summer of 2019 - hopefully to accommodate Goodwood. Thank you to those of you who offered your hospitality and travel tips here and privately - much appreciated and we look forward to meeting you next year.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

Buzz,
Best of luck to you and your wife with her treatments.

I visited England twice last year in June and September. I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in June and the Goodwood Revival in September.

I greatly enjoyed both, but would rate the Revival (races) over the Festival of Speed (hill climb). At the revival everyone is dressed in 1940 period clothes and the airplanes flying overhead are all from World War II. The Festival of Speed is more casual and the airplanes are modern jets.

The best place to visit is Brooklands. It is in Surrey, near Thames Ditton, where the AC Factory was located. Brooklands was the worlds first banked oval race-track. The 2.7 mile track was opened in 1907 and closed in 1939. They have a great museum and a portion of the track still exist.

Located at the top of the hill next to the race track is the A.C. Heritage Restoration Shop. It is filled with original Cobras and Aces being restored. They are not set up for tours, but with a polite request, you can get a quick tour. I was able to visit inside for 15 minutes.

If you are a golfer like myself, one of the best and most historic golf courses is the Old Course at Sunningdale. It is located about ten minutes drive from Brooklands and is a real treat. It was Bobby Jones favorite course in England.

Enjoy,

Michael
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for the tips, Michael. I definitely would like to visit Brooklands. Tennis is my sport so catching a bit of Wimbledon while I am there is also a prime consideration. There's an elderly English doctor who visits an old colleague here every couple of years and plays a bit of tennis at our club. He's the gynecologist to the queen (yes - really) and a locker owning member of the All England Club. He's become a welcome regular here and has offered privileged Wimbledon access to any of our tennis group who'd like to visit. If the timing works out, I'd like to take him up on that offer. Strawberries and cream at Wimbledon with the Royal Gynecologist - now there's a scenario I never thought I'd find myself in!
Alfa02 likes this.