Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Clear bra patterns

One thing I want to do before getting my car on the road is to have clear film put on the front, doors and rear fenders. I know there is a pattern for a Superformance but have not come across anything for an ERA 427. Also, all the threads on this topic are very old so thought I'd put it out there again. I've found an installer with a great reputation and I'll be going to look at some of his work - including a Superformance that he did. Anyone know of any pattern for an ERA or any other ideas? The film stretches a bit to conform to curves, etc, so we're going to look at using the Superformance template for my ERA if the dimensions are not too far off.

Any experiences with this will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Kevin,
I have the film on my SPF, works great except a little advice is have it go up higher than normal 2 or 3 inches would work. Especially where the fenders flare coming off the headlights seems to catch the most abuse. And on the inside of the fenders between the headlights and area thet dips down towards the grill opening!

B i l l
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Wildbill

Did you install it yourself and how hard was it?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Kevin:
I've had the clear bra product on my car since I got it 8 years ago. It's done a really good job of keeping the stone dings down. Over 50,000 miles and it's still going strong. A couple of really big stones have gotten through it but even then it's kept the size of the damage to a minimum.
Mine is installed on the nose (wraps completely and about 4 inches up), spats on the front of the rear fenders and along the top of the doors. I added my own strip 3 inches wide centered along the line of the top snaps to keep it from rubbing.
I used a company called Invincashield who had a pattern for ERA but I don't know if they're still around. I think they were in North Carolina. The product itself is made my 3M and they make it in two thicknesses. Go with the thickest you can find, probably around 4 or 8 mills.
You may well be able to find someone locally to install it since it has become a fairly common product. Check with any local exotic car clubs (Porsche, Ferrari etc.) to find someone local who installs it. Check their work if at all possible.
Do some digging on the web to see if anyone is making a pre-cut pattern and have it done professionally. I wouldn't call it a do it yourself project because of the compound curves of the Cobra body.
DonC
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

I would really be interested in this as well.

Is it really obvious? It is a real toss up whether or not to alter the looks of the paint or risk a $$ paint from being damaged.

Thanks. Please let me know what you come up with...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

I guess the Backdraft guys are way out of luck although it can be installed by dealer for $900.

I did not know about this until car was shipped. I was lucky enough to get the rear fender bulges covered at dealership.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatton3 View Post
I guess the Backdraft guys are way out of luck although it can be installed by dealer for $900.

I did not know about this until car was shipped. I was lucky enough to get the rear fender bulges covered at dealership.
You can buy it for Backdraft here: Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

The real cost is the labor to install, that's how you get to $900 quick. In fact at $900 we lose a couple bucks

As for your ERA, if the car is in New Britski then have one of the elves call Attention to Detail in Middletown, CT. They have a pattern for ERA and the installer is mobile. You can schedule through Darren there at 860.343.9448

I know they have an ERA template because they used it on our cars years ago and would trim it to fit. It even had the hole cut out for the Cobra emblem they don't put on
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I've had the clear film on my car for the last 5 years with great success. No change in color and very hard to notice. It's on the nose, top of doors and rear spats. I got mine from a company called Xpel and had a local company do the install. They had a pattern for a Cobra. Xpel has dealer/installers all over the country. Just Google them and search for a local installer.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I have had mine on for over 5000 street and track miles with great success. It was fabricated and installed by Ultimate Shield in Orange, CA. [email]Sean@ultimateshield.com....Check out his web site. Even if you are not local he may be able to inform you of the varies products available. He does show room installations on Mercedes, Lambo's, etc. He has a computer model of a Cobra nose pattern that we tweek'd a little to allow him to trim back any excess material. From the computer the pattern was downloaded to a CNC cutting machine and out they came... I have it on the entire nose starting at the front edge of the hood cutout and wrapping all the down below the oil cooler. The rocker panels, rear fender spats and headlights. I should have done at least the tops of the doors for summer short sleeve arm protection. There are pros and cons to the material chooses. I have Wimbledon White Le Mans stripes and this product does not yellow. After hours in the SoCal sun there is no color change from the stripes on the adjacent hood. The only con, is the fact that you can scratch it and unlike paint it does not buff out.

Last edited by csx4017; 12-29-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
You can buy it for Backdraft here: Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

The real cost is the labor to install, that's how you get to $900 quick. In fact at $900 we lose a couple bucks

As for your ERA, if the car is in New Britski then have one of the elves call Attention to Detail in Middletown, CT. They have a pattern for ERA and the installer is mobile. You can schedule through Darren there at 860.343.9448

I know they have an ERA template because they used it on our cars years ago and would trim it to fit. It even had the hole cut out for the Cobra emblem they don't put on
Thanks for information. It is now on my wish list.
Do you think a local vehicle wrap advertising company could install this?
They do local busses and a motorcycle gas decal from a photo on my old motorcycle. The BDR has more curves but I think I want to get this.

Best wishes for 2013!

Russell
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sean does fantastic full body wraps. It is all about being able to work the material around the compound curves of a Cobra........If you bought it new I would check with the Brackdraft distributor for their experience..........The stuff works.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
I have had mine on for over 5000 street and track miles with great success. It was fabricated and installed by Ultimate Shield in Orange, CA. [email]Sean@ultimateshield.com....Check out his web site. Even if you are not local he may be able to inform you of the varies products available. He does show room installations on Mercedes, Lambo's, etc. He has a computer model of a Cobra nose pattern that we tweek'd a little to allow him to trim back any excess material. From the computer the pattern was downloaded to a CNC cutting machine and out they came... I have it on the entire nose starting at the front edge of the hood cutout and wrapping all the down below the oil cooler. The rocker panels, rear fender spats and headlights. I should have done at least the tops of the doors for summer short sleeve arm protection. There are pros and cons to the material chooses. I have Wimbledon White Le Mans stripes and this product does not yellow. After hours in the SoCal sun there is no color change from the stripes on the adjacent hood. The only con, is the fact that you can scratch it and unlike paint it does not buff out.
Rick, your link is to a different type of "Ultimate Shield".
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The hot link highlighting was done automatically by the server not by me........Kind of funny though.........
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
The only con, is the fact that you can scratch it and unlike paint it does not buff out.
I've also noticed on my wife's new Toyota with front end vinyl that smashed bugs left on can eat into the surface. I'm hoping it will tend to oxidize slightly over time and lessen the damage.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     

I had the 3M done on my Lamborghini the day it was delivered and it worked great. I want to have this one on my SPF but haven't found anyone that can do it. Anyone know of a place on Long Island that does 3M for SPF cars?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Mine was installed by the installer (Dennis Oltoff Racing, North Carolina) in 07 and almost 18,000 miles and track miles and some rough roads on cruises. No discoloration and realy need to look to see it. I point it out to people and they say that they diden't notice it. No marks on it yet just above it. I think it is Invisashield by 3 M, talk to Mark III on this site he can most likely point you in the right direction or call Dennis!

B i l l
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looking for some feedback from those of you that have clear film. I just went and looked at a Superformance with film installed as well as a few other cars. One thing that is noticeable to me is that the film itself has a bit of an orange peel - not unlike a lot of car finishes on "normal" cars. Looking closely, there were also a few visible lines where the film had been stretched or put down and then pulled up to reposition (both necessary for installation, I'm sure). These things are very subtle and are not noticeable from several feet away, but are visible when looking closely. The installer said that all films have the orange peel effect to some degree and a few minor imperfections (lines) are unavoidable, particularly on a car as curvy as the Cobra. This is 3M film that I was looking at.

Does this jive with what you have on your cars? I'm just trying to determine that this installer is as good as his reputation. I think he's telling me straight.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Kevin:
I know it might be a bit of drive for you, but I will recommend this outfit with my eyes close, they use the reputable film 3M and the work is impecable. The place is Sma's Window Tinting, Rte 59, Nanuet NY 845-623-3800.
I hope this helps. Here are 2 pictures of my car being spatted this past summer, including finished poroduct.
Cheers Happy New Year
Basque 1 (Lou)

Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just my two cents: Whether you use a precut kit or do it from scratch, you need to use someone with a lot of experience in applying shield thickness film, to compound curves such as the real swoopy front end of a cobra. I had mine custom done as a one-off, but even the real experienced guys had to redo several sections. If you are using a precut kit, you may want to think about some kind of preset price from your installers as well. Like someone else also pointed out, you should do spats on your rear wheel arches too. I went with the carbon fiber ones there, and am glad I did instead of just clearshield.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

I found an installer who has great references and has been installing 3M film for 7 years. I was asking if some orange peel and a couple of stretch marks are inevitable. Can you see any of that on your cars if you look closely?

Thanks,

Kevin