Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Tires (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141115-tires.html)

djb102954 06-23-2018 05:53 PM

Tires

I purchased car with B F Goodridge Comp R/T tires. Hard as rocks and no grip. In reading posts all the following tires have been noted each with their own unique characteristics: Avon (DOT Radials), Goodyear G-7/G-12, Dunlop CR65, Michelin TB5 Series, Mickey Thompson SR, Pilot Sport 2, Nitto NT05, and Goodyear Billboards.

Car is located in Florida so will be driving in warm weather conditions and rain. Looking for 15” street legal tires that have more height like Billboards, good traction on dry and wet roads. Any recommendations?

Mark IV 06-23-2018 07:20 PM

Mickey Thompson S/T radials. We deliver most of our Superformance MK IIIs on them. Avons are number 1 but triple the cost. Don't do the Billboards, short lifespan with UV cracking before they wear out. And the non-DOT issue as well. Several of the other you have listed are NA in 15" for the sizes required for a Cobra.

Sawdust 06-24-2018 05:29 AM

X2 with the Mickey Thompson ST's I have them on my Cobra and love them. They are also very good in the rain. Don't ask how I know.....lol

djb102954 06-24-2018 06:20 AM

Thank you Micky Thompson it is.

Kit Coyle 06-24-2018 10:06 AM

X3 Mickey Thompson S/T radials. They are round and need minimal
wheel weights to balance...at least the set I just put on my car. No
weird graphics or odd tread pattern. And inexpensive!

CSX 4133 06-24-2018 12:49 PM

You might want to look in M&H Racemaster tires if you are considering the MT's.

FWB 06-24-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX 4133 (Post 1447126)
You might want to look in M&H Racemaster tires if you are considering the MT's.

ditto, my mickey T's are worn out i'm going to go with the M&H drag radials
go on their web site and contact them, they will call you on the phone and tell you the in's and outs, mostly in's

Mark IV 06-24-2018 01:59 PM

"Drag radial" vs. "Street Tire"....do the research.

FWB 06-24-2018 02:08 PM

the M&H's are street radials

Murky781 06-25-2018 05:10 AM

Just put a set of Avon's on my car after having Goodyear's on it and the difference is incredible. Love how they grip the road, quiet and no tracking on cracks in the road. Expensive but well worth it, I think.

cycleguy55 06-25-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FWB (Post 1447130)
the M&H's are street radials

Full listing for 'Street and Strip' tires: Street & Strip
Edit: They appear to have a real classic look to them.

P235/60-15: P235/60-15
http://www.mandhtires.com/image/cach...ge-228x228.jpg

P275/60-15: P275/60-15
http://www.mandhtires.com/image/cach...ge-228x228.jpg

Anybody know what 'Compound Type: 703' is?

CSX 4133 06-25-2018 12:44 PM

According to this article 703 is a medium compound, see the compound section within this attachment. I'd confirm this with M&H tire as well.

Drag Radials 101: What You Need to Know About Drag Radials - OnAllCylinders

Dar73 06-25-2018 12:53 PM

I just purchased the Avons from Roger Krauss Racing. They were here the following day. Looking forward to getting them on the car ASAP. The Billboards look good but I can't get comfortable with them.

cycleguy55 06-25-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX 4133 (Post 1447207)
According to this article 703 is a medium compound, see the compound section within this attachment. I'd confirm this with M&H tire as well.

Drag Radials 101: What You Need to Know About Drag Radials - OnAllCylinders

Thanks.

Edit: Any idea where Avons would be on that scale, or any other 'reference' tire? Presumably 703 is less sticky than Avons, but how much? Half way between Avons and BF Goodrich Radial T/As? How would 703 compare to M/T S/Ts or Cooper Cobras?

CSX 4133 06-25-2018 02:51 PM

From the Avon site in England, it appears most of the CRZZ tires are A29, which is a hard compound. I would have thought they would be a medium compound tire.

Compound descriptions:
Compounds | Avon Motorsport

SASCO Avon tire listing:

SascoSports Inc is a full-function racecar preparation restoration shop

Phx Mike 06-25-2018 03:24 PM

My CRZZ's have a treadwear rating of 80 which I think is pretty soft.

Alfa02 06-25-2018 11:02 PM

Yeah Phx Mike, 80 is Auto-X soft. Sticky for sure, that's picking up rock's soft. As long as there's no problem's "staring" the inside of the fenders. I'm just in the process of picking up a client "friend" his ERA 289FIA car here in Wa. and the org. 13year old Dunlop's are needed to be replaced, I suggested he go with the MT St, wear rating of 400 just a good overall first tire. Tom.

FatBoy 06-25-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX 4133 (Post 1447218)
From the Avon site in England, it appears most of the CRZZ tires are A29, which is a hard compound. I would have thought they would be a medium compound tire.

Compound descriptions:
Compounds | Avon Motorsport

SASCO Avon tire listing:

SascoSports Inc is a full-function racecar preparation restoration shop

The Avon’s are a road legal race tyre, so the “hard” rating may be with relative to other race tyres rather than road tyres.
I’ve had them on my Kirkham for about 5 year after a couple of sets of GY Billboards and They’re coming up for replacement again. I wouldn’t fit anything else.

Paul

RallySnake 06-30-2018 12:57 PM

I burn up tires pretty quick running more than a dozen rallies a year. The Micky ST's are very good tires. The Cooper Cobra's are exactly the same but cheaper. I have had soft Hoosier race tires on my Cobra and driving them at speed on the freeway is very uncomfortable. Every pavement imperfection tries to jerk the steering wheel out of your hands. The Micky's and Cooper's do not do that.

Chilibit 06-30-2018 01:17 PM

I am on my third set of CZ66s. They wear better than the 80 rating might suggest on my car used the way I use it. I would not be keen to put anything else on the car. All mine have balanced easily, wear evenly, and handle heavy rain reasonably well. Snow is a challenge. Borderline dumb. But only if you want to go, stop or turn.