14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default Oil leak

Ok folks, I replaced my o-rings on my remote oil filter, on the block and now I have a leak on the oil pan. I have a 351 w man o war block with a aluminum 8 quart airid pan. Any suggestions on what oil pan gasket to purchase and installation tips ? Thank you in advance
Old 03-31-2019, 03:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

On mine I used a Felpro Gasket and put a light coat of sealer on each side. I never had a drip after that. I can't remember the number but it was what the builder recommended. However I would imagine that any good gasket and some sealer would do as well. I took my old gasket to the parts store to make sure the new one would fit. If you don't have a gasket then you could take the pan as you will have it off anyway. And I have heard of some people just using the sealer or Form A Gasket I think it was called.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-31-2019, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok will try it again I do not have it apart yet the old one was put on less than a year ago <not by me>. I tried tightening bolt with no luck . Should I put sealer on bolt threads?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The saga continues.After removing the pan, I noticed my fitting on the oil pressure gauge was cracked .Not sure how this happened, the pipe is brass . I will replum with new brass and hopefully all will be good. Wondering if fibration or the person who installed the new fuel pump,damaged it.The only good news is I could see the bilit caps , the h-beam rods ,and the fresh bores on the motor. Looks like who ever put the motor together used top quality components .Also arp fasteners.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

I used sealer on the bolt threads but for sure not lock tight. And I did put a thin covering on each side of the gasket. Could the crack in the oil pressure gauge be the source of your leak?

Ron

Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just removed the pan last night, and yes the 1/4"by 1 1/2" pipe was the leak. Did not have to remove the pan. With all the components so close together, I was unable to pinpoint the leak.The only good thing was that with the pan off I was able to see everything , including all the high quality parts used in the motor so now I can feel good about it.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Wouldn`t be the first time a brass fitting cracked due to having an inclusion and the heating and cooling cycles caused it to open .
Too much torque on the fitting can also cause it to crack or split ..... especially if it`s some foreign junk from China or India .
FWIW , I used to be with Parker Hannifin and at one time we made more brass fittings than almost anyone , and used American brass in American plants .
Don`t know about today though .
Old 04-01-2019, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fyi red brass from india . We are getting closer but we have to give Trumps policies a little time.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just completed all the repairs new canton oil-ring set new brass fittings on oil pressure switch and new silicone felpro oil pan gasket. Cleaned entire car underside now car looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Also no more leaks!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

That is great. I have one car that I have spent a fortune on trying to stop it from dripping a little over the years and nothing I do has helped. It just drips enough to make a mess especially when the wind from driving it blows that little bit all over under it.

Ron

Old 04-04-2019, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Vibration alone can crack hat brass fitting. And any lateral stress - likepressure during fuel pump install - will also crack that

The original Ford parts were aluminum. As long as they were no over torqued, they would last for decades.

Mine cracked, and it was also brass. So I mounted the sender to a frame rail, and connected it to the engine with a -4 AN line.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto

Last edited by bobcowan; 04-04-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-06-2019, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is what you want

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...SABEgKvDvD_BwE

And the ford crate motor instructions say to take care tightening as you can crack the casting itself...

Sucks you took the whole pan off for noting, but sounds like you had fun looking at the motor’s guts anyway!

Warning in this pdf...see page 19

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...427FFT-FRT.PDF

Steve H
Attached Images