28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Where to go for another windsheild ?

If it isn't one thing it's something else. I thought I was nearing being ready to mount the windsheild and my son spotted a crack bottom to top . Starting at some small chips that had been there for years. It is in a plated alluminum frame and says

VIRACON
Tinted
Safety Float
ASI M50 DOT 129

Does this mean anything ? How many possibilities are there ? Are the glass all the same and the frames different? Mine was tinted ,are there shaded windsheild glass? Where is there a deal? What else am I missing? Can I just get the replacement glass.

When I had my 56 Bristle the windsheild broke two different times,once from moving and the other from a rock falling off an oncomming bellydump truck near work. I had a time convinceing two local glass shops that it was flat and they could do it.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-03-2006 at 11:08 PM..
Old 06-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Check out Finish Line in Florida, TX 888-436-9113 www.cobraaccessories.com

Enzo and Paula are very friendly and good to deal with. The price was reasonable. The turnaround time was quick. The glass was slightly tinted and seemed to be of high quality. The fit was perfect. A friend helped me with the intallation of the glass into the frame (thanks, Dan) and the whole project was just a few hours.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeast 66 replica 302 350HP
Not Ranked     

Shell Valley Cobras also sells the glass
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

I gave up on glass after the 3rd one cracked. Lexan MR-10 is in now. Very good optics, just have to be careful cleaning it.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Lexan would seem to be a problem for a car driven on the street in Washington state .I end up using the wipers quite often. Where would I get that and how much?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the usual shotgun tactic in my usual pannic. Brett Everett responded saying that all the windsheilds are the same but not quite.VIRACON is the domestic glass . Everett Morrision only stocks the European glass now. They are verry close,but don't quite interchange in the frame. He suggested ShellValley.They have VERICON replasement glass instock. $290+$40 shipping what a deal.
I tried Finishline and they said they have the VIRACON windsheild glass They started at $295+$50 . The website mentions $65 for shipping box refunded when box is returned. Between the "not shure and we'll see, maybe tomorrow, we'll call you" . The time zone difference thing didn't help either. I didn't go through them.

My wife wanted me to try local glass shop.They said "Oh Shure". I said Cobra replica and they thought Mustang. So that waisted a half day of annual leave and some gassoline. So now my wife calls another glass shop and she gets the "Oh Shure" again . I call that glass shop and now we are up over $600. So I ended this jaunt with a call to ShellValley and Bob Kailo . $330.00 and wait a week. Hope this helps someone else in the future. I'll let you know if there were any wrinkles.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-11-2006 at 08:53 AM..
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are the windsheilds cracking do to stone chips or weekness in the window frame?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Michael,

I can cut a Lexan MR10 windshield for you.

Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The windsheild has always had a group of chips right of center along the bottom edge since I bought the car in 99. I do not know how or when it happened but it was something I was prepared to live with. I had the windsheild laying inside up on a wooden box from an old medicine cabinet on my work bench. I was dealing with the center bracket and tensioner. I don't know when it broke .My son was over and pointed it out to me. I was surprised and pissed. In the end it will be a short list of things on this car that I haven't replaced or changed . The break starts from the tallest chip at the bottom and runs to the upper edge on the inside pain.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-13-2006 at 07:17 PM..
Old 06-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why not go back to the kit manufactorer where you got it in the first place?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought the complete car in august of 99 at hot august nights.The builder bought it from Everett Morrison as little more than a body and frame in 84. EM does much more now than they did in that time. They have had a move ,a fire and two or three body changes since . I have allready contacted EM and received a response stating that they have european glass now and mine is domestic. I have VIRACON glass coming from Shell Valley now.
I waited until the mood over took me to get around to installing the glass from Shell valet. it lasted a day in the garage and started cracking. This winter I may replace the windshield again. I'd like to cover several issues. the windshield is leaned back slightly and I bought a convertible top an side curtains. something has to be changed. I'd like some local advise and or help.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-16-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Wipers could be a problem with Lexan. They also wear on the 3M clear although it helps protect against stones chips.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thw VIRACON windsheild from Shell Valley showed up today. It was boxed great . 10" wide x 24" tall x 59" long heavey carbboard with rigid foam sculptured to fit the glass exactly and labeled "fragil glass". Seems a shame to dispose of the box and packing. Tomorrow I need to find a local glass shop with talent, equipment, and a willingness to swap the glass.

9/16/2018 I waited a while to get around to installing. Once installed and mounted it lasted a day in the garage and started cracking. This winter I want to replace the windshield and may even the still in box convertible top and side curtains. MY Glass is leaned back slightly from original specs and some things will need to be changed. I'll need help?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-16-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Michael: I too am replacing a windshield. Trying to deal with a client, please post your experience,

Tim
Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry
Thw VIRACON windsheild from Shell Valley showed up today. It was boxed great . 10" wide x 24" tall x 59" long heavey carbboard with rigid foam sculptured to fit the glass exactly and labeled "fragil glass". Seems a shame to dispose of the box and packing. Tomorrow I need to find a local glass shop with talent, equipment, and a willingness to swap the glass.
Call Shell Valley, and ask them if they will reimburse you if you ship the box (with packings) back to them. They will probably be glad to get the box and packings back.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I delivered the whole mess to Budget Auto Glass. Guess what another crack parallel to original an inch or so over. Glass must not like laying flat. On edge from now on.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Michael,

Do the windshield yourself it is extrememly easy. Took me all of 30 mins to do mine. You can leave your side post in after you remove the 3 or 4 screws on the side, Then all you have is 2 or 3 screws that hold the windshield frame together. The glass slips out of the frame quite easily and all you do is remove the U shaped rubber from the edge of the old glass and re-use it on your new one and then put everything back together. You can do it by yourself but an extra set of hands would probably make you more comfortable. You may have some of the U shaped rubber stick around your old windshield but just use a single edge razor to get underneath that part to help you along.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've had so many of these little jobs have a snag and then more money and time. I feel I'm running out of summers. I turned it over to a pro got right in and $54. later I'm home with a new windsheild. I used the packaging material to support the framed glass while assembling the side frames and windwings=4 screwa on either side. Now lets see if the curve is the same where the glass and frame meet the body in the center . The tensioner had to be adjusted a little shorter. I'm not sure where but I plan on keeping the box and packing.
The kicker was this is an old auto glass shop and the person I delt with acted knowledgeable. Then I hear " what is a Cobra ?" But he never mentioned a Mustang.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Just an interesting informational tidbit:
Midstates Cobras, founded and later sold to Shell Valley by the Kalios, got their start by making Cobra windshield frames, among other things. They are (were?) available in aluminum or brass. Brass holds the chrome better.
Dan
Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
Michael,

I can cut a Lexan MR10 windshield for you.

Paul
Paul,
I have just posted to another windscreen MR10 Lexan post, see you cut your own windscreens,
Do you need to heat shape the Lexan?

The 1960's rocked!