Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Looking for upgrade axels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141848-looking-upgrade-axels.html)

Moto One 12-28-2018 07:11 AM

Looking for upgrade axels

Seems we have a broken axel on SPFR0012, we are looking for an upgrade. So far our Superformance contacts have been less then responsive. Early on when this happen we were told of a company that built a better product but no maker name was given.

Any info would be welcome.

Our failure happen during a normal u-turn.

Thanks
Mark.

Jerry Clayton 12-28-2018 07:20 AM

Happened during a U turn? likely a spider gear problem---------

NRP/MN 12-28-2018 08:05 AM

Try "The Driveshaft Shop" in North Carolina if you need a axle.

Gaz64 12-28-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton (Post 1455823)
Happened during a U turn? likely a spider gear problem---------

Same here, are you sure it is an axle? Never heard of an axle breaking during a U-turn. Either diff planetary gear issue, or you were doing something else before the U-turn.

Gary

patrickt 12-28-2018 03:05 PM

You mean just a regular U-turn, like when you have to go back up the street the other way? I've never heard of breaking a differential that way.:confused: I would think the gears would have to be made of glass or something. Back in high school we used to do doughnuts in the school parking lot with whatever POS car one of us had and we never broke anything... well, almost never. But we sure didn't break anything with a U-turn.

Tjd 12-28-2018 04:01 PM

Mark Williams enterprises 866-508-3391 Give them a call you won't break one of their Axles may be something else.
Great company to do business with. around for a long time.
We use them at Shelby when I worked there
Tom

patrickt 12-28-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjd (Post 1455849)
Mark Williams enterprises...

I believe that is who ERA sources their optional "super-duty chrome moly indestructible 800HP" stub axles from.:cool:

Jerry Clayton 12-28-2018 07:10 PM

Was that a "NORMAL U TURN" or a COBRA U-Turn?????????
and how were you driving before the u turn------you could of broken spider gear/posi part and/or it just stayed in place until the turn

tortuga 12-30-2018 02:03 PM

+1 just bought a set from them

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRP/MN (Post 1455825)
Try "The Driveshaft Shop" in North Carolina if you need a axle.

/about 2 week turn around to the door in CA

Remember the passenger side is about 1” shorter...

Steve H
SPF 1764

patrickt 12-30-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortuga (Post 1455923)
/about 2 week turn around to the door in CA

Remember the passenger side is about 1” shorter...

… and cut out the U-turns, you hoon.:cool:

Moto One 01-01-2019 04:35 AM

As far as Hooning it, I wish, with the wheels spinning there wouldn't have been the load that broke it, and I would feel better about it.

Thanks all for the replies, and a Happy New Years.

Mark.

1795 01-01-2019 05:24 AM

Have a Happy New Year as well Mark and good luck with the repair.

Jim

Jerry Clayton 01-01-2019 11:37 AM

The most severe load on spider gears could easily occur with both wheels spinning-------------as one wheel catches traction then the other side gghas to accerate to double the speed but if it then catches traction the load is doubled back--the spiders just won't take it-by the way, have you disasembled the rear end to see exactly whats wrong???????

Moto One 01-02-2019 07:01 AM

As soon as I get the car back up here, I will really find out was wrong. Right now all I know is when the rear wheels are off the ground, the left spins right dose not. When on the ground nothing moves, and there is no noise ether. Could be diff, or axel stub. I'll update when I find out.

Happy New Year all.

Mark.

eschaider 01-02-2019 09:41 AM

GForce makes an extraordinary axle package for 8.8 IRS cars. They use 108mm Porsche CV joints and special high strength stub shafts for the center section. Provide the under car dimensions for your existing axles or send them to GForce and they will size the splined half shafts on the new axles for your car.

If you haven't already I would highly recommend upgrading to the 31 spline side gears or better yet Ford's 33 spline super 8.8 side gears and then use the corresponding stub shafts from GForce.

Here is a link to the product on their site => GForce Axles

Ed

p.s. I just noticed the SPF sequence number on your car. I suspect you may use other than a Ford 8.8 IRS. If you do use the 8.8 IRS , GForce is the answer. If you don't then you may be deeper into custom territory.

Moto One 01-04-2019 01:20 PM

Ed, our car came with a ZF rear-end (same one use in late model Camaro). Right now I'm working with Driveshaftshop in NC. our problem is knowing what spline count we have. Superformance manual is not clear on spline count on the outer hub.

Thanks for the recommendation thought.

Mark

Gaz64 01-04-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto One (Post 1456032)
As soon as I get the car back up here, I will really find out was wrong. Right now all I know is when the rear wheels are off the ground, the left spins right dose not. When on the ground nothing moves, and there is no noise ether. Could be diff, or axel stub. I'll update when I find out.

Happy New Year all.

Mark.

That's got to be a broken diff.

Gary

Moto One 01-05-2019 08:18 AM

Gary, it's totally possible. But I would think that there would be noise when in gear or spinning the wheel you would feel something. Then again...

Mark.

Jdata 01-05-2019 10:19 AM

Do you have a peg leg rear end?

Gaz64 01-05-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto One (Post 1456032)
As soon as I get the car back up here, I will really find out was wrong.
Right now all I know is when the rear wheels are off the ground, the left spins, right does not. When on the ground nothing moves, and there is no noise either.
Could be diff, or axle stub. I'll update when I find out.

Happy New Year all.

Mark.

Mark,

When the left wheel spins, does the tailshaft spin?

Gary