Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Trouble logging in....? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141977-trouble-logging.html)

xb-60 01-28-2019 01:02 AM

Trouble logging in....?

Anyone else having trouble logging in lately?

I get this message frequently (at first login attempt), but not every time....

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ogin_error.jpg

Sometimes I have to go away and come back; sometimes, I try again and get in OK

Cheers,
Glen

Ozgur_Tan 01-28-2019 02:07 AM

G'day,
Yes, i've got also same problem with my iMAC.
But, funny thing is i can login with my macbook in same home network

Ron61 01-28-2019 03:12 AM

I get that message once in a while also. And I am having trouble getting the site to add a friend but I think I finally got it to do so.

Ron

joyridin' 01-28-2019 04:37 AM

I can log in on my home computer without a problem, but haven't been able to log-in with my Ipad for close to 6 months. I tried 4 different browsers and all keep stating that the password in not accurate. I even wiped the Ipad and started from blank in case I messed up a setting somewhere over the years, but nothing.

Sawdust 01-28-2019 06:05 AM

No issues with me.

cycleguy55 01-28-2019 06:38 AM

Is this an MacOS / iPad only problem, or are people having problems on other platforms? FWIW I use Chrome browser on both Windoze 10 and Linux Mint 19.1 and have had no problems - well, not recently anyway.

Ron61 01-28-2019 07:15 AM

Brian,

I use Chrome and IE on Windows 10, 7 Pro, and XP at times. I don't hit this often but I have hit it a time or two on every system and browser. It won't let me try again until the wait period is expired just as if I had tried 5 times and didn't get it right. And when it does happen it is on the first try.

Ron

xb-60 01-28-2019 03:35 PM

I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome browser.
I've had the problem for the last week, and yesterday I was even getting a message saying that I had used 6 of my 5 failed login quota.
Now this morning I can't replicate it. All working OK :JEKYLHYDE

Cheers!
Glen

Ron61 01-29-2019 05:52 AM

Glen,

That is the first time I have heard of it saying you had used 6 of your 5 allotted log in attempts. But the rest is the same as I get from time to time. I have tried cleaning my computes and everything else and it just pops up once in a while. I don't worry about it as it has been happening for a long time and I can wait a while and get on.

Ron

Snake29980 01-30-2019 06:40 AM

Yes - I have been completely unable to log in for a week now - have registered as a new user with nearly the same name and password and am now logged in. Win 10/Desktop/Firefox. Will try my laptop etc some other time.

xb-60 01-30-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 1457500)
Glen,

That is the first time I have heard of it saying you had used 6 of your 5 allotted log in attempts. But the rest is the same as I get from time to time. I have tried cleaning my computes and everything else and it just pops up once in a while. I don't worry about it as it has been happening for a long time and I can wait a while and get on.

Ron

Yes, I had to double check that what I was seeing was actually "correct". Should have taken a screen dump of it.

Cheers,
Glen

Horseracejudge 02-07-2019 12:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I had it happen a couple times. Using MacBook Pro with High Sierra OS. It's the most recent OS. Hasn't happened for a while.

Nick

Ron61 02-08-2019 04:27 AM

Nick,

It seems to happen once in a while on about all different OSs and Browsers. I have had it happen on three different OSs and Browsers but it is very intermittent and I may go a month or more and not have it happen.

Ron

Ron61 02-23-2019 05:04 AM

Dominik has been sending me messages from another site for a week or so that he can't log in here. He gets that your 5 attempts are used most of the time and when he doesn't get that it tells him his name or password it wrong. He said he had gotten a new password from the site and it won't accept that either, but most of the time it just tells him he has used his 5 log on attempts.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what he could try?

Ron

EM-0785 02-23-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 1458582)
Dominik has been sending me messages from another site for a week or so that he can't log in here. He gets that your 5 attempts are used most of the time and when he doesn't get that it tells him his name or password it wrong. He said he had gotten a new password from the site and it won't accept that either, but most of the time it just tells him he has used his 5 log on attempts.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what he could try?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Talked to my IT guy for 5 minutes and he offered some thoughts to consider (I tried to keep up with him). :)

He felt it likely a corrupt database field/file on this user account. He suggested a site admin (perhaps Jamo if he has those rights if Brent is busy) try manually clearing that database (password) field and enter the intended password and see if it re-established function.

So it sounds likely a database issue needing maintenance/repair. So whatever software database is being used to support the vBulletin web interface on this site, whether sql or otherwise, he’d need to know which one to further assist.

It’s less likely, but entirely possible it’s a database issue impacting a larger set of users with a common characteristic, but other members of that set haven’t tried logging in yet. However it doesn’t sound like that at this point. Also, could be a bot impacting his account, but again less likely, or at least down the remedial path a ways.

If initial easy steps don’t remedy, it could end up requiring his account to be blown out and re-established as a new account. Hopefully not, as that can jeopardize history information depending on a few things.

Lastly, next rendition of server consideration down the road for this site may include further consideration of a hosted server situation where database updating/maintenance/repair is ongoing in the service. He’s run his own such sites before and helped many business/club/social sites, both ways, and does like this approach in many situations, it can help depending on needs, cost/value, etc.

I’m sure Brent likely knows the above info and readily handles such ongoing. So, if he just can’t get to it right away, as you seem to indicate on your other site, then just wondering if Jamo can try clearing/resetting the entry in that password field.

(Added: Also meant to mention that even though Dominik is receiving site notice messages indicating it's reset and/or provided a new password, which doesn't work, the password field itself likely isn't actually saving such password, even though the notice goes out, if the field is corrupt at the time.)

Best of luck Club Cobra Team! Brent

Ron61 02-23-2019 09:27 AM

Thanks for the information. I have thought it was something to do with his account but as I am just a member here I can't look at it. We are busy getting ready to move our site to a better hosting company and there is a lot to be done there so I am not on here a lot lately. I have sent both Brent and Jame emails through this site letting them know what problem he has but they are most likely busy too. I am going to copy your post and send it to him so he may have some idea of what is going on.

Ron

EM-0785 02-23-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 1458587)
Thanks for the information. I have thought it was something to do with his account but as I am just a member here I can't look at it. We are busy getting ready to move our site to a better hosting company and there is a lot to be done there so I am not on here a lot lately. I have sent both Brent and Jame emails through this site letting them know what problem he has but they are most likely busy too. I am going to copy your post and send it to him so he may have some idea of what is going on.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Just wanted to mention, I added a parenthetical sentence at the end of my original post, via edit. If that wasn't included in the info you forwarded to Brent/Jamo, you may want to do so, just in case it helps, fwiw. Take care...Brent

Ron61 02-24-2019 03:27 AM

Thanks Brent,

I have forwarded everything to all of them and now it is up to them.

Ron

EM-0785 02-24-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 1458612)
Thanks Brent,

I have forwarded everything to all of them and now it is up to them.

Ron

Hi Ron,

As I'd said in my original post, I was trying to keep up with my IT guy with my scribbling. One more thing I remember he had said. There was question on your other site about maybe an IP issue as you couldn't login with Dominik's credentials either from your machine and thought maybe it was because it wasn't from Dom's computer's IP address.

The IT guy said that by design it shouldn't lock the IP, that's what allows us to login from most any device, most anywhere there's Internet. The fact you couldn't login onto his account from your machine either, points back to the likely database/account/field issue that you've now forwarded.

I'm sure Dominik knows...anything Cobra is worth the wait! :)

Thanks, Brent

xb-60 02-24-2019 01:40 PM

Thanks Ron and Brent for following up on this problem.

Cheers,
Glen