Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Easy way to add HP?

Selo here, 302 with GT40 heads, E303 Cam, Edelbrock manifold, EZ Fast EFI, 3.31.gears, Trac Loc.....runs strong but I wouldn't mind a little more urgency. Living at 5000 ft altitude saps about 15% supposedly. Ideas for ways to add some grunt? Would like to avoid forced induction.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

NOS
Cubic inches
Super charger
Turbo chargers
Move to lower altitute
Blacklemming likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

If you have a 3000 lb car with 500 HP each HP is moving 6 LBS. so if the driver goes on a diet and looses 25 pounds, each HP is only moving 5.95 pounds. Just like free HP.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeh, but he's only got about 200hp-----------
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
yeh, but he's only got about 200hp-----------
I was told it's more than that, and it feels like more than that. Supposedly should still be making in the high twos, even with 15% loss at this point.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Check your headers, if they are small port and your heads are large port, there is good potential there.
Without forced induction: 10:1 pistons, bigger heads and bigger cam.
However, now you are getting into serious $ with possibly 10-15% increase in power. Depending on available funding a stroker motor (408-445" 7-12K) could be your best bang for the buck.
Look at craftperformanceengines.com for prices. You'll want to budget an additional 3K for shipping, headers, pulleys, low profile oil pan etc.
Hope you find what works for you
Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OR----------put in an Chev supercharged, FI, LT4 from new Corvettes????light weight, etc,etc
Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
NOS
Cubic inches
Super charger
Turbo chargers
Move to lower altitute
Jeryy hit the nail square on the head. Those are the real power enhancers available to you that will make a seat of the pants difference. All that is left is for you to pick your poison.

A blown and injected 300 inch engine with a screw blower will easily produce a reliable 600 HP RWHP solution with a table flat torque curve that will give you an instantaneous vehicle response to any change in throttle position. Belt driven screw blowers are nothing short of stunning!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

drop your diff to a 373 or 410. The difference will feel dramatic and the only loss is top end which may be limited by rpm. Cheapest fix available except for Nitrous which I would not use.
jhv48 likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe a supercharger is the way to go. What is the SC of choice for these units? I really don't want sick power, maybe 400 hp or so.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Look at a Paxton type centrfugal, which mounts on the front of the engine.
In all cases you will want to ensure your injectors, head gaskets, fasteners, cam, and compression ratio are compatible.
Selo likes this.

Last edited by MKS427; 04-17-2019 at 08:46 AM..
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selo View Post
Maybe a supercharger is the way to go. What is the SC of choice for these units? I really don't want sick power, maybe 400 hp or so.

If you are looking to optimize top end power centrifugal compressors will be your best bet. If you go with a crank driven unit or exhaust driven unit (turbos) you will produce some impressive upper rpm power numbers.

If you are looking for more robust bottom end and midrange power with instant throttle response you want a screw blower like a KB or Whipple. Both will produce good top end power but not as much as the centrifugal style compressors.

None of the boosted conversions are inexpensive. Turbos tend to be near the top of the conversion cost charts because of the complexity and need to custom fit the supporting plumbing into a given car. Centri's and screws are less damaging to the wallet.

A centric like a Vortech or similar will typically come with a pretty well thought out kit that while not a bolt in, approximates one fairly well. The Screw blowers install effort will be a bit more than the centre's and well below the turbos.

The question you need to resolve is how much cost and effort do I want to sign up for.

Ed
1SwtRide likes this.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great info, thank you. My question is cost. A new motor is 6-10, right? But I could sell my current motor for 2-3. So what's a FI system cost? At some point it might be less complicated and more cost effective to put in a new motor.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

In your situation I would drop a 347 stroker in it.

It is exactly the same, externally, as what you have in it, and making 400 hp is pretty easy.

You could also stroke the current engine, if the heads will take the additional air flow.

Is it tuned for your altitude, correctly?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Having said that, a 408W is a nice wee beastie to put in there, if you do not want to go FE.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great info, thank you. My question is cost. A new motor is 6-10, right? But I could sell my current motor for 2-3. So what's a FI system cost? At some point it might be less complicated and more cost effective to put in a new motor.
This is another good alternative if you elect not to keep your current engine.

As a rule of thumb I want my Cobra driving experience to be a more responsive spirited sort of event than my daily driver so I look for things like throttle response and seat of the pants confirmations.

To get the necessary attitude adjustments when I drive, I found I needed somewhere north of about 400/450 hp. That number can and does move around (and usually moves higher) the longer you own the car.

Lets be conservative and say you loose 15% of your sea level power at altitude. If 400 is your power target then you need an engine that is rated for approximately 470 HP at sea level. If 450 is your target then you need an engine that is rated for ~530 HP (or so) at sea level.

Those are relatively easy to achieve goals.

Ed

p.s. I would be less focussed on the big block small block sort of criteria and pay the most attention to how much low speed torque my engine choice provides. 530 HP with 500 ft/lbs of torque at 3000 rpm is a very different driving experience than 530 HP with 390 ft/lbs of torque but at 7200 rpm — extreme examples but you get the gist.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-17-2019 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Added PostScript
Old 04-17-2019, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Best place to buy a 347 Stroker with warranty?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Paxton is the most compatible with the Cobra setup. A small amount of boost (4-6psi) should be all you need. You'll definitely have to retune your EFI. And you may need to look at your fuel delivery (pump, lines) to be sure they can handle it.

I would caution you about adding too much horsepower. Cosby's 200 MPH routine was a documentary. Too much horsepower turns a Cobra into a death trap. You probably have a pretty nice streetable car. It wouldn't take too much more HP to turn the car into a "rear end breaks loose at the drop of a hat" - or any downshift or any upshift. My car had a Roush 427IR that engine dyno spec at 550hp, with about 500 at the wheels (I think their 550 was conservative). It took great care to not break the rear end loose.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 04-17-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The Paxton is the most compatible with the Cobra setup. A small amount of boost (4-6psi) should be all you need. You'll definitely have to retune your EFI. And you may need to look at your fuel delivery (pump, lines) to be sure they can handle it.

I would caution you about adding too much horsepower. Cosby's 200 MPH routine was a documentary. Too much horsepower turns a Cobra into a death trap. You probably have a pretty nice streetable car. It wouldn't take too much more HP to turn the car into a "rear end breaks loose at the drop of a hat" - or any downshift or any upshift. My car had a Roush 427IR that engine dyno spec at 550hp, with about 500 at the wheels (I think their 550 was conservative). It took great care to not break the rear end loose.
That's what I'm trying to avoid.
Called Summit racing and they quoted about $4500 for the Vortech kit. That's too much. I think better to do a new motor than pay that much for a new FI system. U could spend 7 on an engine and sell mine for 2 and we're in the same ball park, with a less complicated set-up. Am I missing something?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The altitude is costing you maybe 50HP. I had dynos from sea level and in Loveland and that was all it cost. You can get a 50hp variation from run to run and from day to day depending on temp/humidity. Additionally, unless you spend a lot of time at the red line on a straight track, you won't notice 50hp. If all you are looking to do is make up for the altitude I think you're chasing something that won't be noticeable to you. If you start adding 100+hp, sure, it'll snap your neck harder, but it will also probably turn it into a monster, and it can become something you might not like to drive as much. Like I said, at 500rwhp, my car was too much. For that reason I still will, when I return to the Cobra market place, be more mindful of a small block car.

Be careful what you ask for, you might not like the answer since going back will be costly.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 04-17-2019 at 03:38 PM..