Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Cost of New Cobra

Any one willing to share what the real cost to buy a new Cobra with all the options, engine, shake down, etc.?

I see that there are active a couple of guys building new ERA FIAs...that would be most helpful.

But also curious what new Kirkhams, Superformance, Shelby CSXs are going for...thanks.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

For Superformance and Shelby check the Hillbank web site. Power train prices vary so much because of the many choices available.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
... ERAs, Kirkhams, Superformance, Shelby CSXs are going for...thanks.
A nicely painted, nicely equipped, 427/428 FE equipped car, from any of the "big four," when you tally up all the costs, will be in the six figures. Now, if you do a lot of the work yourself, and keep a second set of books in order to fool someone, you can bring it in for under that number.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

You could assemble a very minimal Factory Five or Hurricane Cobra for o/a $30k, but only if you don't use performance parts or expensive interior, paint or options.

Otherwise, an optioned out, showroom looking car is going to run into six figures, as stated above.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

A new Superformance MKIII (SC) roller is north of 60k.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Your question probably needs to pin down if you are looking at a finished roller, complete turn key car or a owner finished/assembled car.

I did most everything myself on my ERA except for the rear suspension that ERA provided. This included body finishing and paint. I had Keith Craft assemble an engine with a 428 block and I rebuilt a toploader. I skipped the six pin hubs, ERA outboard brake rear suspension and leather on the seats. Never added all the costs in detail but I know roughly that I came in about $40k under the six figure threshold in PatrickT's post. The options I skipped would probably have added another $10k roughly. Most of these costs were about 9 years ago.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Nearly bottomless but as with most things you get what you pay for.

John
ERA #3010 289 Slabside BRG
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapier View Post
A new Superformance MKIII (SC) roller is north of 60k.
Depends on options. They start at $54,000 including headers, pipes, heater/defroster, limited slip and many things optional on other chassis.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

FFR 427 Dart, big brakes, all new parts ~ 70K
Superformance 427 Dart/Roush ~ 100K
Kirkham Aluminium FE well over 100K or higher depending on the options selected. There is pricing tool on their website.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Budget $100K for a car for the look and performance you'll be satisfied with for years.

It's like buying a motorcycle or a home theater TV.

Within 12-18 months you'll reflect back and wish you had bought bigger/better/nicer.

Don't forget transportation cost, taxes, registration, insurance, spare parts and of course...…….tools!!! (It adds up fast)
AndrewB likes this.

Last edited by Unique427; 06-12-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

If you have enough knowledge and are mechanical inclined, check out a unfinished project, but be careful, and take along someone that has built one.

But, it sounds like if you're considering a Shelby continuation series or Kirkham I'd recommend finding one for sale with either a Shelby FE, Keith Craft or my pick, a Big Block Motors (BBM) aluminum 427 side oiler, their magical heads and intake. Mainly because it's a side oiler over just an FE. All need expensive machining on top of just the block cost.

When you research you'll find some real nice Cobra's selling for under 60k, then you can personalize to your taste and make it your own.

Take you time and continue your research. You've came to the right place to start.

Nice Shelby continuation series. No listed price, just "firm". (look at several other pages too)

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=37

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...lby&modelFacet[]=Cobra&start=0

Very nice ERA Cobra. They are great cars.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/2276196.html

Very nice Kirkham. Keith Craft Alum. 427 Side Oiler 600 HP. (almost perfect for me, except price at 120k)

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-13-2019 at 09:07 AM..
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I think you meant Bear Block Motors rather than Big Block Motors. Here is a link to their website => BBM

Personal opinion. the BBM blocks, heads and intake are likely the best of breed FE components available today, especially right out of the box. I got lucky and had a tour of their casting facility in Korea. The foundry looks as clean as an operating room — stunning for a foundry. Very impressive operation and very easy to talk to people.

Ed
HTM101 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 06-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Fixed broken website link
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, thank you Ed.

Their products are beautiful in quality and CNC machining. Works of art. Reminds me of Kirkhams.

I could not afford BBM's side oiler, so I had to settle in building another 428FE. Not bad, just not what I wanted.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/

Bear Block Motors |

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-13-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Yes, thank you Ed.

Bear Block Motors |
funfer2 -- we haven't heard from you in a while. Is your build still in the works?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey buddy, yes, been a while.

Last June (on my Birthday) I was traveling at 30 mph when a lady speeding at 60 mph, rear ended me in my truck. Folded the frame rails 6" down. I had severe neck trauma and have had three surgery's so far. They also removed 12 nerves. But, getting better.

I did get the painting done on the block, heads, bell and trans, my body color. Painted in my garage because if I didn't feel well enough in the body shop, I'd hold up the guys at the shop. Turned out ok after making a PVC frame, plastic sheathing and fan sucking out the fumes.

I'm just installing the Ram bullet fly and dual disk clutch. Got it all zeroed in after machining a pilot bearing after buying three from Summit, Jegs and local store, because I didn't like the run-out spec. All now is almost perfect.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
You could assemble a very minimal Factory Five or Hurricane Cobra for o/a $30k, but only if you don't use performance parts or expensive interior, paint or options.

Otherwise, an optioned out, showroom looking car is going to run into six figures, as stated above.
A Factory Five MKIV will run higher than $30k even with a 302 in it. Full kit is close to $22k, then add engine, transmission and tires and I am thinking at least $34-35k without body prep and paint. Add another $7-12k+ for the latter for a finished roadster and that is without any mods that all builders do. I always say look at $45-50k+ to have complete finished Factory Five.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a tour of the Hurricane and it's actually a very nice car.

Home - Hurricane Motorsports
Old 06-16-2019, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Hurricanes do appear to be very good, quality cars but I don't think you could come anywhere close to building one for around $30,000. I would put Hurricane and Unique closer pricewise.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

If price is a factor, it's worth keeping in mind completed cars are available for less (often far less) than building one. You'll inherit everything good and bad with the purchase, so inspect carefully and choose wisely.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

I am just finishing up my ERA Cobra. I had ERA do most of the work, I just had to do the electrical and interior installation. I am just over six figures but I believe it is a well equipped car, i.e. top, side curtains, tonneau cover, heater, wipers, leather interior, heated seats, pin drive Sunburst wheels, BBM block and heads, under car exhaust, etc. I thought I could get it done for less but no way. I would say work out a budget then add at least 20% to the number.
As far as buying a completed car make sure you can bring it into your state without going through an emissions test. That wasn't possible for me plus I wanted a very specific car.
BD

Last edited by Whodeeny; 06-17-2019 at 11:04 AM..