• 2 Post By lomdel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     
Default Fire extinguisher mount

I am looking to upgrade the mount for my 3” dia cockpit mounted fire extinguisher. The standard mount it came with only has one latch. I do not want anything “blingy” just something a bit more secure. Looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Blas,

If you are looking for a more "secure" type of mount put a stainless "U" bolt around the lower third of the tube body so you can release the latch and lift the extinguisher "up" to release.

We suggest people use a reinforcement plate behind the bulkhead so that the weight of the extinguisher in an "oops" is not entrusted to a couple of small bolts through single layer fiberglass. A plate will spread the load and prevent the bottle from becoming a projectile in an accident.
1795 and lomdel like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

Safecraft makes beautiful mounts and bottles.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but Halon fire extinguisher's should never be mounted on there sides, always straight up & down or within a few degree's (5 percent or less), or the seal will deteriorate and leak. Tom.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 427/451 Side Oiler
Send a message via AIM to huskersnake Send a message via MSN to huskersnake Send a message via Yahoo to huskersnake
Not Ranked     

I have an H3R Performance HalGaurd extinguisher with Halotron 1 fire suppressant. I just read through the Owners Manual and I don't see any mention of upright mounting orientation requirement. Maybe halon is different than Halotron 1.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I’ve been looking at H3R the last few days. Are the 2.5 lb ones too large to mount conveniently?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never heard of the orientation of a Halon bottle. We typically have them mounted horizontally in the cockpit and cabin areas. 5lb units.
We did switch to Halotron I about 15 yrs ago. (No CFC issues)

But all that being said ALL the jets have a 6 month Fire Ext wgt ck. (fish scale).
DOT requires the bottles be emptied and internally inspected every 6 years, and Hydrostatic testing every 12 yrs.

Come to think of it mine in the BDR is overdue by 3 yrs...Time for a new bottle.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

H3R offers some nice mounting kits: https://www.h3rperformance.com/billet_brackets.htm

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Interesting suggestions, but the HR3 flush mount still looks a bit Blingy to me. The Safecraft 50-1410-13 mount is a bit closer to what I am looking for. But even that could be made a bit less flashy. Would like something that projects out a bit less too. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and emails. I will keep looking.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3
Not Ranked     

My Backdraft factory installed extinguisher was mounted in the standard plastic upright cradle. But last night I added my own personal touch and added some lateral stability (and beauty) to it by adding leather-straps. It still slips out the top easily and fast, but is secure in the event of an emergency stop. I think it looks awesome and matches the car interior too!
Attached Images

rads42 and Mongoose930 like this.

Last edited by lomdel; 07-12-2019 at 12:14 AM..
Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but Halon fire extinguisher's should never be mounted on there sides, always straight up & down or within a few degree's (5 percent or less), or the seal will deteriorate and leak. Tom.
What I was told by the company that performs our annual building inspection
about Halon is it's corrosive to aluminum fittings and can cause seals to fail (takes years).
Mounting angle should not exceed 40 degrees.

He also said dry chemical extinguishers can "cake" if left in the same
orientation for long periods of time. Answer was to invert and give
a thump or two to break up the contents.

Most importantly was don't let an extinguisher freeze.

Last edited by Unique427; 07-12-2019 at 05:41 AM..
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unique,

Halon and Halotron are not corrosive and leave NO residue. The they are both Total flood systems where they displace atmosphere and remove 2 sides of the Fire triangle. Heat and O2. (It works better in an area that is contained. Hood not opened)

However Dry Chemical ABC extinguishers should never be used on Aluminum or Electronics. We've had to re-skin sections of aircraft due to their use.

https://www.h3raviation.com/support_faq_2.htm
https://amerex-fire.com/upl/download...ct-catalog.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-42D.pdf
Old 07-12-2019, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Unique,

Halon and Halotron are not corrosive and leave NO residue. The they are both Total flood systems where they displace atmosphere and remove 2 sides of the Fire triangle. Heat and O2. (It works better in an area that is contained. Hood not opened)

However Dry Chemical ABC extinguishers should never be used on Aluminum or Electronics. We've had to re-skin sections of aircraft due to their use.

https://www.h3raviation.com/support_faq_2.htm
https://amerex-fire.com/upl/download...ct-catalog.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-42D.pdf
Thanks for clarifying Spdbrake