LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipe comparison - Spiral Baffles vs. Classic Chambered

Guys,

I know there are several threads on side pipes but I am most curious on anyone who has experienced the difference between Spiral Baffles and the Classic Chambered. Aside from sound, really curious on any performance gains.

Would like to change my spiral set-up to Classic merely for the sound, however would like a performance gain as well. I know the spirals are somewhat restrictive, but would like to have more facts on the compare if possible...

Welcome thoughts and comments or reference links.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2020, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Roscoe, You need a little more performance with your 482? Hmmm
Old 08-20-2020, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL... why not!
Old 08-21-2020, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I ordered Classic Chambered mufflers 32" long and 4" diameter to replace my blown out glass packs because I was was going deaf. I installed the CC mufflers with the scoops facing forward to have the maximum noise reduction. I was very surprised how much more power the engine made. The sound level is much better too and I have regained most of my hearing, except for high frequencies. That was about 10 years ago and they are still doing great. I had to use an intercom system to talk to someone next to me with the old mufflers, now we can actually speak without a problem.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have spiral baffles and love them. They have a deep throaty sound instead of that high pitched glasspack sound. I have no idea how much power they make/lose, but with a decent cam, they sound great.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the spiral baffles for a period of time but was very disappointed with the dyno results. I changed the spiral mufflers to Classic Chambered and gained 50 rwhp with zero additional mods. The spiral mufflers eat horsepower.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Gino

Your car is already great sounding!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

I have the Classic Chambered Power Sticks. They are straight through with no restrictions and no packing to burn up and blow out. The sound is, well, I
won't be sneaking up on anyone anytime soon!
Old 08-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

My Cobra could be heard from one and a half miles away.

I changed to the Classic Cobra Pack 3" inside but four inches longer (28"). The old mufflers were 2 3/4' i.s. and 24" long.

They were a "lot" quieter. I could talk to my passenger with out screaming.
Nice healthy rumble.

When I installed them I cut a little off the front pipe and a couple of inches off the rear turn down tip to keep the original over all length. I did turn the tips up to keep the sound from bouncing off the pavement but not so high as to bother the guy next to me at the traffic light.
Worked out great and I love them!

Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products
Old 08-22-2020, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the responses... I agree with my initial beliefs that the spirals are robbing some power..

overall want to maximize the engine performance as well as a new sound considering this is year 13 of ownership..

Jeff, I agree that car sounds great but why not a change for the next 13 years!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Back when I had EM build new exhaust system including headers I ordered the "low-back " mufflers option. When I received the new exhaust system, the mufflers were there normal mufflers with two parallel perforated pipes inside each muffler. Still all metal but not the low backs I had ordered and paid for.. The collectors and mufflers were short. I bought a 10 foot length of 3 1/2" exhaust pipe and cut pieces to add inches to the collectors and the mufflers. The mufflers were straight mufflers with rounded ends smaller inlet ant outlet tubes. I cut the mufflers and added length to everything. I incorporated a Car Chemistry disc units into the collectors, because I intended on getting everything ceramic coated. I even welded in bungs for oxygen sensors in the advent that I needed to later. If later a local cop decided that my exhaust was too noisy I had to have some where i could go and try to quiet it down . Ceramic coating is great for heat but any welding after is like welding dirt, I can work with the Car Chemistry unit to show i made an effort to quiet things down. I used Burns SS V clamp ends to use as a connection system. they even now have male & female versions of the flanges. one of each and a V clamp form a unit I have short headers that connect to the collector inside the body and then turn to form the collectors., then collector to muffler, muffler to turn out tip. All short lengths that all got ceramic coated inside and out. A friend that can TIG weld all the stuff together. I ended up with two different sets of mufflers and a set of straight pipes that look like the mufflers. the V clamps are not noticeable, and can all be removed or changed with a 7/16th wrench. The sticker is twenty years ago the SS V clamp and two flange units were $75 each I think I bought 8 total. I have used the low back from day one and no tickets yet.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-24-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, finally installed the classic chambered... all I can say is wow! love the sound as well as the "butt dyno" power gain as it is real noticeable.

Want to give a shout out to Cobra Kiwi (Craig C) for the quality build and accuracy on this. Since I only provided my existing pipes, he provided an identical set with Classic Chambered. All this with (very) minimal modification.

Craig - You are the best!

ps. if you can figure out the youtube link, please post
rads42 likes this.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Thanks
I would amangine a good gain in power over the old pipes. Not to mention they look much nicer now as well.

I was able to upload your video I think.
https://youtu.be/J74v3pJ7CXw

Here is the picture you sent of the install.
Attached Images

rads42 and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Rosco, I’m considering doing the same muffler replacement. What Classic Chambered muffler did you use? (length, diameter, noise absorbing packing, internal perforation orientation?) Any advise you would care to share? Thanks, John
rads42 likes this.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

I went with the classic chambered - loud version and it is loud. We have the same engine combo so expect it to be loud (louvers facing flow direction not opposite)

I would also default the more detailed questions to Cobra Kiwi / Craig C as he was the architect and creator of this. All I can say is he did one heck of a job!

Hope this helps...

Craig C - please feel free to add anything I've missed..
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

In 2013 I had a 359W hydraulic cam making about 500HP I bought the 3" cobra packs 24" with No packing louvers facing forward, tips 90* My sound test with a iphone app was 93dB at 20". Thats all the information I can get from my notes.
After 7 years of Autocrossing my engine gave up. I built a 408 solid cam engine with some intake work. It dynos about 575HP. During autocrosing events last year I was told I was too loud and needed to quiet it down or not race. Honestly It's hard to tell with a helmet on but I don't think it's much louder than the other engine, I think they were concerned and trying to be good neighbors during the covid year, but OK I get it. I refused for a couple of reasons, 1) I liked the sound and 2).my vertigo came back and I just can't do it anymore. sucks getting old fellas.
A month ago my wife and I went for a ride. After the ride she asked me if the car sounded louder to me because we could hardly hear ourselves talk while driving. I also noticed this. Call it old age or something but I knew I had to do something different just to take the high tones out and still keep the horsepower. A little dance if you will.

I called Eric at Classic Chambered (great service and a quality operation) and I ordered the 26"X3" cobrapacks With packing. I installed the flow mod just like the the last project and again louvers facing forward. I turned the tips down 20*
When I test them this week I'll let you know what I think I'll use the same dB app as last time. It's not apples to apples comparison, I realize this but I'm hoping to take the high notes off and deepen the sound.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Gino's car sounds FANTASTIC and Craig does a top notch job!
Great work!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RET_COP, Thank you, your feed back is very much appreciated. I’m interested to see how your current db level compares to the previous setup. Best regards, John
Old 08-26-2021, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Now that i've been driving for a month, definitely notice the power gain for sure. As far as the noise, not bothering yet at this point; a good set of ear plugs on the horizon for the longer trips though. I find the sweet spot at 2500 RPM to carry a conversation and be comfortable without plugs..

Overall, highly recommend them especially if you have some cam in the engine; sound is incredible and turns heads.

I can't thank Craig (aka Cobrakiwi) enough on this as he did an incredible job. In fact, I would reach out to him regarding your desire to switch.

Hope this helps a bit...
Old 08-26-2021, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rosco, Thanks for the feedback. I will be closer to 3,000 rpm at 70 mph with my current setup. Although I like the sound of a healthy FE, I may have to wear ear plugs to preserve what hearing I have left. Best regards, John