Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   New Cobra Top (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142744-new-cobra-top.html)

RockBit 09-03-2019 11:30 AM

New Cobra Top

3 Attachment(s)
I added a new hard top to my car. This nifty top does not require any permanent modifications, and can be installed or removed in just a few minutes. It is in two pieces and can be stowed in the trunk.

Although the top comes with two suction cups which hold the rear mount, I decided to fab some supports that attach to the convertible top mounts.

It provides relief for the Texas sun, and would be good for cold weather drives. There is very little wind felt in the cockpit when the roof is on the car.

lomdel 09-03-2019 11:12 PM

Close-ups of inside, front- and rear mounting points, please? Ordering info?

RockBit 09-04-2019 05:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The top attaches to the windshield frame with supplied hardware, and is supported in the rear by RAM hardware, including suction cups on the rear deck. The link to the website for the top is

LEMANS TT T-TOP - Home

The website has photos and videos showing installation and removal.

Instead of using the suction cups (they hold well) I opted to fabricate new rear mounts out of 1/2 aluminum tubing that attach to the mounting points for the convertible top.

Here are closeups of the mount I fabricated:

strictlypersonl 09-04-2019 07:30 AM

Nice. That's called Throwing Some Shade - in a good way.

my427cobra 09-04-2019 07:36 AM

Very cool idea Chris!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Greg

Karl Bebout 09-04-2019 07:43 AM

Looks nice. Good job on the fab.

lomdel 09-06-2019 12:40 AM

I like it... a LOT! Bit expensive though...

mptech 09-06-2019 06:43 AM

Very nice and the matching paint puts it over the top!

RockBit 09-06-2019 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments!

lomdel - its only money. The government prints more every day. :D

hauss 09-06-2019 10:19 PM

Sorry I do not like it . not for me looks like crap, take it off you have a very nice car take that thing off. looks way better with it off.

Karl Bebout 09-07-2019 02:52 PM

So, Hauss, guess you won't be buying one?

427SSSS 09-07-2019 04:10 PM

Very, very nics!!!!!!

hauss 09-07-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Bebout (Post 1466453)
So, Hauss, guess you won't be buying one?

sorry that was a bit blunt maybe I should have been more nice I was just trying to get my point across. I really do think the car is nice just not the top :o

lnfletcher 09-09-2019 04:47 AM

Have to disagree with hauss, I think that it looks awesome! I could have used something like that so many times in this 100 deg heat with the sun beating down on me.
I wonder if he would sell the fiberglass pieces separate for a reasonable price?

RockBit 09-09-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1466464)
sorry that was a bit blunt maybe I should have been more nice I was just trying to get my point across. I really do think the car is nice just not the top :o

No worries! I appreciate your honesty.

The top is not for everyone, I get that. :)

dacobb 09-17-2019 06:28 PM

It looks better than the "original" hardtop IMO.

RockBit 09-21-2019 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The only issue with the top that I have seen is that there is some rubbing between the corners of the windshield frame and the top. There was no damage to the frame, but the paint was rubbed off the top where it contacts the windshield.

I bought some thin (1/16 inch thick) self adhesive neoprene rubber strip from Amazon and lined the area that contacts with windshield frame. Although I did not see any damage, I also added a strip on the surface of one half where the two go together.

My wife also sewed some simple covers for the two top halves out of some fabric we got at the local store. The fabric is micro fiber on one side and felt on the other. This will keep the top halves from getting scratched when they are stowed in the trunk.

74proii 04-07-2021 10:13 PM

Funny, when the Bimini top was mentioned, I revisited an idea like that that I was toying with in a soft top form. I was going to mount to the roll bars. Rockbit, very nice ride you got there. looks way better painted to match. Not sure I like it, or not. That gap between the panels probably be better with a thin seal for rubbing and keep water out.

Ahshoe 04-08-2021 07:20 AM

Question. As my car is not in my shop yet .I am wondering if all brands have that channel on top of the windshield to accept the slide in bolts?

Azhinoon 04-08-2021 08:03 AM

The price is not that bad. Free is perfect and less than 1,000. Great solution to the wind and to much sun problem for me. I think i will try it and mount to my duel roll bars.