Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Might have over revved

I have a 2017 BDR with the Iconic 427, Holley Sniper EFI and MSD Blaster SS ignition. A few weeks ago, I was about half way through 2nd gear, slowed down when someone pulled in front of me and then went around him and stood on the gas. The tires let loose and it immediately revved way high and sputtered a bit. I assumed it was the rev limiter that stopped me. I let off the gas and drove lightly the rest of the way home. The few times I approached 3000 rpm’s, it seemed to sputter a bit and wouldn’t rev up. Since then, I’ve driven it a few times, most with no problem however, a few times it sputtered at higher rpm’s again. Any thoughts on what’s causing the sputter and if any possible damage?
I assume if I floated a valve, it would always sputter and not be sporadic behavior?
Old 10-19-2019, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

If you bent a valve, the problem would show up all the time - including a consistently lumpy idle. Just in case, I would pull the valve covers and look for a broken spring, which might manifest itself erratically.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity what is the rev limiter set at please?

Last edited by t walgamuth; 10-19-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Just out of curiosity what it the rev limiter set at please?
Hmmmm. Good question. How can I tell that in the Blaster SS ?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Sounds like maybe the lifters are floating. Do yo have hydraulic lifters? The MSD box is where the rev limiter is set. Either chip or dial/

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Have you put a timing light to see if things slipped? How's the oil pressure? The oil pump is driven off the distributor drive gear,. The 1/8" x 3/4 roll pin is a built in weak point. Easy to repair
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would think your engine would not have a mechanical problem after over revving like that. It should take more abuse than that and not break.

Bet you are hitting your RPM limiter and not realizing it.

In the beginning of my ownership of a Backdraft, did that more times than I want to admit. These 351 Windsor blocks do hit rpm really quick.

If idling fine, running smooth, not backfiring but sputters at high RPM- rev limiter kicking in.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmargolis View Post
Bet you are hitting your RPM limiter and not realizing it.

In the beginning of my ownership of a Backdraft, did that more times than I want to admit. These 351 Windsor blocks do hit rpm really quick.

If idling fine, running smooth, not backfiring but sputters at high RPM- rev limiter kicking in.
That's pretty good advice. Until I read Nathan's post, I had forgotten that the first time I got on my FE, almost 15 years ago, I said to myself "WTF is wrong with this engine?" And then I checked the rev limiter, which is adjustable, and it was set for about 5200 or so. When you bounce off the rev limiter, it's pretty noticeable.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Problems are always bigger if they are yours. Back in the day I had a friend with a GTO and when the spark plugs would get carbon fouled . That car would misfire at the higher rev level the worse the fouling the lower that misfire would occur at. Changed spark plugs problem gone.
The FE engine has the oil pump driven off the distributor drive. It has a 1/8x3/4 roll pin holding cam drive gear to the shaft . If the oil pump drag is too great that pin has sheared on my engine. My shear was complete. every thing stopped immediately ,engine coasted to stop no problem. about an hour to R&R the distributor reinstall with new pin and retime. I had been warned about revving engine before oil was warm I also spent most of a summer trying to figure what happened only to find the car was out of gas and fuel quantity gage was stuck on full, it was empty.
This last summer the 4way flasher switch burnt out, while replacing I managed to flip a toggle switch that went to the staging rev limiter. I thought about it all evening loosing sleep thinking about what was wrong. It came to me but had to wait till day light to check' She wouldn't like for me to start in garage and wake her up.
I have carburetors, you can see if there is gas coming out of carbs just by moving the linkage. Your fuel injection ,I don't know. Several years ago I redid my engine and changed a lot of the wiring and fuel system I installed a Malory Hy Fire VI I had it in the box for months With everything in and on I was breaking the engine out in the alley Had a big fan and all. Later we took the car out and shortly it started running crappy. The further we went the worse it got. I turned around and headed home. It would idle but couldn't hardly get it to leave after a stop. I end4ed up using the shorting plug that comes with the Mallory ignition box, It eliminates the box so just coil and distributor are being used It ran great so the box went back and another box was ordered.. You can work it out. is it fuel or ignition? Check the ignition timing easy with timing light. Does it backfire? If that is Ok then move to the fuel injection group.. Fuel supply pressure?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

If you suspect a broken valve spring the best way to identify the cylinder is doing a compression test (personal experience).

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/