Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default anyone recognize this body mfr (picture)

I know I have seen this molded body style on a specific cobra mfr's body before back in the 90's. does anyone recognize the body reinforcement in the circled area.
thanks
Paul
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2019, 04:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Early CMC (the "H" bracing is the "tell").

My sage advice, even if they are paying you to take the car away, don't.

Why, do a search on Street Beast and Classic Motor Carriage (CMC) for the sordid details.

Bill S
the shadow likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-22-2019, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had an early CMC some years ago and it did not look like that. Maybe that was earlier than mine, but the width of the metal rails looks to be about 2-3 times the width on my rails. Mine was about 1" x 1". The angle the steering column exits also looks wrong as the CMC used a Chevette column and come up at an angle. That column looks like it comes almost straight out and is close to the dash. More like an MG style column.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I worked on one. A design nightmare.

You will have to re-engineer a lot of the car. Door hinges, pedal mount plate, hood hinges, radiator mounting, front wheels to wide for the body, ETC, Etc

I found a guy in Ga. that has build 7 or 8 of them and he told me to sell it for parts and buy something else.

I did not finish the CMC because of the owner. I finally called him and ask him to come get it. I could have finished it but he would have had the price of a SPF in it.

If it's free and you have a lot of time and tools you can finish it. Cheaper to buy another brand.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks guys, this is a car for sale local to me, its a roller and had a BBF & 4 speed in it that was removed before the last sale. owner says he was told it was a "Legendary Cobra " kit from the 90's. new owner had it set up for for a 302/5 speed now. comes with 9" rear,coil overs all around,manual R&P, doors,hood and deck lid are mounted,full interior,all chrome,bumpers + speed jacks,side pipes & headers,lights and harness,all gauges,fuel cell and aftermarket 5 lug halibrand knock off wheels,roll bar. needs to be plumbed and wired + engine tran installed. he's asking $17K with a used 94 302 and 5 speed no mfr's MSO.
I would never pay that for that car especially since it has no mfr's mso but i considered it as a project for a lot less as the body work ,engine/trans is no issue for me. never been on the road been a project since the 90's. he's open to negotiate as his wife wants it gone,this was a side project he bought. but soon after bought a finished FF cobra and doesn't want to finish this one.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2019, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I think you are missing the point here, shadow. This car is so far out of the normal for a replica that if it were free you probably would still be faced with way more work and expense than you thought you bargained for. The current owner discovered that the hard way. Of course you can too. This car at any price is a bad deal and should be avoided.

If you can't afford a mainstream product offering then you would be well advised to wait until you can. Engaging on this project is tantamount to going into your back yard and using $100 bills to barbecue a roast. When you are done it costs a lot of money and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understood what your all saying Ed and not looking into buying a hole to throw money into, it looked like a decent kit with potential but after reading the replies and doing some background search's on CMC/street beast kits I think I'll wait for something else.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
This car at any price is a bad deal and should be avoided.
This is it in a nutshell. Take it if he pays you to haul it away otherwise run, don't walk, you can do much better. I doubt you'd even come out ahead if you bought it to finish and flip it...
Old 12-23-2019, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Don't be too hasty. I do not think that the car in the picture is a CMC or Street Beasts. It does not have the characteristic deep lip around the rear cockpit edge that is unique to that brand. Check it out a bit further - the lip may have been cut off. Quick check - look under the hood at the engine bay - if it's a CMC, there'll also be that deep lip surrounding the edge.
See the pic below and look closely at the rear edge of the cockpit. That is a CMC defining trait.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 12-23-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 12-23-2019, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Here's a pic showing the engine bay. Note the deep vertical lip. If the car you're looking at does not have that, it isn't a CMC / Street Beasts kit and may well be worth checking out.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 12-23-2019, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I originally posted it because back in the 90's I was hell bent on building a kit and got brochures (no internet) from a lot of vendors and for some reason I remember one of them having those wide body stiffeners. at first i thought it was an early shell valley or lonestar kit? even back in the 90's CMC had a bad name, a buddy bought a 34 coupe kit and had to rework the whole thing I remember him telling me the fiberglass was real thin and he had to stiffen up a lot of area's.

the CMC kits look like they have a flatter hood/cowl area where this one is more rounded up wards. the lip in the cockpit area is formed as a bull nose (rolled under) and not flat.

Last edited by the shadow; 12-23-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Old 12-24-2019, 01:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I had an early CMC some years ago and it did not look like that. Maybe that was earlier than mine, but the width of the metal rails looks to be about 2-3 times the width on my rails. Mine was about 1" x 1". The angle the steering column exits also looks wrong as the CMC used a Chevette column and come up at an angle. That column looks like it comes almost straight out and is close to the dash. More like an MG style column.
Fiberfab is actually who I wanted to put in the earlier post, however, nobody would have known they were the original producer and parent company that turned in to Cars/CMC/Innovative/StreetBeast. and how knows how many other names.........it is just that before the business was sold and changed to CMC. The early cars had that same "H" pattern as shown i the picture above, the same body shape and style (uncertain when the change over to the classic CMC heavy lip occurred), as well as the hood hinges and dash lip, I do know CMC did buy out another company in the early days for "better" molds and jigs but unsure if the company had a "stage presence" as I have never been able to find it listed anywhere in early publications.

Bill
snakeeyes and joyridin' like this.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Fiberfab is actually who I wanted to put in the earlier post, however, nobody would have known they were the original producer and parent company that turned in to Cars/CMC/Innovative/StreetBeast. and how knows how many other names.........it is just that before the business was sold and changed to CMC. The early cars had that same "H" pattern as shown i the picture above, the same body shape and style (uncertain when the change over to the classic CMC heavy lip occurred), as well as the hood hinges and dash lip, I do know CMC did buy out another company in the early days for "better" molds and jigs but unsure if the company had a "stage presence" as I have never been able to find it listed anywhere in early publications.

Bill
Ah, Fiberfab...the source for those who wanted a GT40 tribute on a Beetle budget. Wonder how many Avengers are still roaming the roads.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I think Legendary Cobra's was also called Classic Motor Coaches (Classic Motor Carriages Cobra) at some point. I have screen shots of ads for them.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 12-24-2019, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I think Legendary Cobra's was also called Classic Motor Coaches (Classic Motor Carriages Cobra) at some point. I have screen shots of ads for them.
Blas
If that's true then its most likely what it is, as the owner now, said the original owner claims it to be a Legendary cobra kit. maybe what Bill said comes into play as well & its an early mold from the company CMC bought out? who know's? He's not far from me so I will still go look at it, I found a few more project cobra's for half of what he wants but they are all CMC incomplete kits. I'll take more pics and get more specs ten post them up for you guys to check out. Like I stated I dont want a money hole just a decent project since I cant afford a done cobra. I just got done bringing a barn find corvette back from the dead ,soup to nuts, that I got cheap no one wanted it I took it as a challenge. extensive fiberglass repair,rebuilt the engine,trans,rear,suspension,wiring and full paint, now I want another project hopefully my dream, a cobra.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

An interesting article outlining the History of CMC and various companies.

Legendary is not among them.

Classic Motor Carriages, CMC, kit car, Gazelle, Tiffany Motor Cars, Porsche Speedster, Vintage Reproductions, Bay Products, Porsche Speedster, Gadabout, Fiberfab International, Opa Locka, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale, Florida - CoachBuilt.com
joyridin' likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:14 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

That is a great story, quite a bit more detail than the one I have posted here before.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

follow up: I checked out the cobra and it is a Legendary motor cars kit out of florida early to mid 90's? rectangular box tube frame, full sheet metal reinforced floor pans with foot box drops. Nice thick fiberglass with rolled "bullnose" edges not straight or flat like a CMC/Streatbeats. rolling chassis on 15" halibrand knock off wheels/bf goodrich tires,coil overs/disc brakes on all 4 corners, 9" rear with panhard bar and adjustable ladder bars, 15 gallon fuel safe fuel cell + all the cobra exta's (chrome, interior,wiring,lights,side pipes roll bar etc) plus doner the engine and trans (94 5.0 /5 spd) basically needs labor, fuel and brake lines, + paint/engine etc.
Lots more room to sit in more than a FF, that I tried (which he had there sitting next to it). nice welds (not snot welds). After building a 41 Willy's coupe pro street fiberglass car this would be cake work, most of the body work is done,seams and such. But I still don't see $17K like he thinks its worth? I could buy a shell valley roller for $19K all new and I like their kits!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

I have to consider myself lucky after some of the horror stories I've read about CMC. Only two parts were missing when kit was delivered. Phone call, and couple weeks, got those. Was first attempt at building a kit, and oh how I wanted an ERA or Contempary Cobra. But the price for those was more than double the speedster from CMC back in the early 80's. Thanks ERA for keeping the business going. A reputation for quality has kept your name high on the list for many years.

Last edited by spf645; 01-01-2020 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: adding more
Old 01-03-2020, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the Kit was made by Legendary cobra company out of Longwood florida in the 1980's. I cant find any old info on them but the body is thick and all the edges are formed as a rolled bullnose.