LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default What’s the best Daytona Coupe?

Hope I’m not starting a firestorm.

I thought the CSX9000 was the best cus it’s a CSX but after some research I realize that may not be the case.

I heard Kirkhams are very nice and the aluminum CSX9000 IS a Kirkham.

SO... I collect cars and I don’t like losing $. Are there any replicas that can at least hold their value ?

What about a replica w race history ?

thanks

Last edited by HUBBELL RACING; 06-01-2020 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Move to COUPE TALK pls
Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

What do you wan to do with it? Race? Show? Cruise? These are the questions that define the "best" replica for your needs.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was looking at the FACTORY FIVE. They have a racing option which I love.
I’m starting to give up on this as an investment. So mostly for cruising, maybe vintage racing.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I vintage race a Superformance 289 FIA, great car. Handles great and has original suspension and components.

Jim
Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool, who you race it with ? I vintage race HSR, love the Glen
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBBELL RACING View Post
I’m starting to give up on this as an investment. So mostly for cruising, maybe vintage racing.
Forget about the investment hype, there is no investing in a toy for the hope of future value. Kirkham is what you want if you want the best on the current market.
Also, you can forget about true vintage racing with a replica, yet, you can still race with the SCCA in different classes other than vintage.

If you are looking for an investment quality coupe, I hear one may be for sale in the next several months. Figure a minimum buy in of 20M if you are lucky and everyone else who wants one of the originals is sleeping when it hits the auction block.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-02-2020, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cool, who you race it with ? I vintage race HSR, love the Glen
I love the Glen as well, it's my home track. I currently race with SVRA, VRG and a vintage group with SCCA called HRG. I have thought about racing with HSR but they tend to race more in the south and some of the races are during the snowy season up here. Hauling an open trailer in the snow is not fun. Would like to race HSR's 24 hours at Daytona some day.

You can race a replica in vintage, but it is not easy. Mine was the first one approved with SVRA. Luckily Superforamance's FIA already had the correct frame and the transverse leaf springs. I had to get a 289 block, iron heads, replace the wilwoods with Girlings, install a Salisbury differential, ....... Nothing like racing a cobra, going head to head with Mstangs, Corvettes, XKE's, Camaro's.

Good luck, maybe someday we will run into each other. Hopefully i get a race season in this year, so far they have been delayed.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Forget about the investment hype, there is no investing in a toy for the hope of future value. Kirkham is what you want if you want the best on the current market.
Also, you can forget about true vintage racing with a replica, yet, you can still race with the SCCA in different classes other than vintage.

If you are looking for an investment quality coupe, I hear one may be for sale in the next several months. Figure a minimum buy in of 20M if you are lucky and everyone else who wants one of the originals is sleeping when it hits the auction block.
Bill,

Hope that all is well with you. You can race vintage in the US in a replica, probably not overseas or in FIA, but it is difficult. Vintage groups will overlook the fiberglass bodies, but nothing else. So, a huge percentage of replicas are not vintage eligible because the frame or suspension is wrong. Getting a vintage block and iron heads is not difficult, and with a little fabrication you can change the stock brakes to Girlings and install the correct differential. But if you do not have the correct tubular frame and suspension, it's a no starter. Luckily for me the Superformance FIA had the 3" tubular frame and the transverse leaf springs.

I agree with you about investments and replicas, making a profit on a replica is not something very likely to happen. You buy one to enjoy it.

Take care.

Jim
Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

Thanks, lend me $21M

Seriously tho, thanks for the advice
Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
SO... I collect cars and I don’t like losing $. Are there any replicas that can at least hold their value ?
Choose one of those. The closest you will come even on a csx9000 or Kirkham is break even. You might come out a little ahead and recap standing still expenses like insurance and registration fees. Itll come nowhere close to a decent roi.

If you want to make money invest it.

Even original coupes and gt40s are beyond reasonable profit. After auction and other fees they are basically.breaking even.

Buy the car to drive and enjoy it.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-02-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

"maybe vintage racing"? That's a big maybe.

Get the Kirkham and have it delivered to McCluskey for finishing. That's the best answer to your original post.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
I love the Glen as well, it's my home track. I currently race with SVRA, VRG and a vintage group with SCCA called HRG. I have thought about racing with HSR but they tend to race more in the south and some of the races are during the snowy season up here. Hauling an open trailer in the snow is not fun. Would like to race HSR's 24 hours at Daytona some day.

You can race a replica in vintage, but it is not easy. Mine was the first one approved with SVRA. Luckily Superforamance's FIA already had the correct frame and the transverse leaf springs. I had to get a 289 block, iron heads, replace the wilwoods with Girlings, install a Salisbury differential, ....... Nothing like racing a cobra, going head to head with Mstangs, Corvettes, XKE's, Camaro's.

Good luck, maybe someday we will run into each other. Hopefully i get a race season in this year, so far they have been delayed.
Hey 1795 are you coming to this month's running of Mid-Ohio? I'll be there, in fact we should be in the same group, Group 6. Running a B/P Shelby Gt350. I run with either SVRA or HSR mainly, I even entered a VSCDA event that was latter cancelled due to this virus mess.

Steven

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steven,

Good luck at Mid Ohio, I am not going to be there this year, my daughter is coming in from out of town. Nice track, I really like it, been there the last two years. Finally getting to feel like I have it down. So far the races I have entered have been cancelled or postponed until later in the year. I am waiting to hear if my race at Watkins Glen on July 4-5 will still be on. Otherwise I have to wait until the end of July at Lime Rock and then the Vintage Grand Prix at the Glen in early September.

I have not race with HSR yet, but am considering talking to them. Have you been to Mid Ohio previously? It is a nice rhythm track, just be careful if it rains, the race line is horrendous when wet, especially for higher HP cars.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First time at Mid Ohio Jim, I'm planning on being at Watkins Glen in September, fingers crossed! Like you I've registered for races only to see them cancelled or postponed, I'm betting Mid-Ohio will have a large field in each group, lot's of people itching to get on the track.
What's Lime Rock like track wise, I've watched prior races online but it's hard to get a feel for it just watching a video.

Steven

6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 06-02-2020, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steven,

Have never been to Lime Rock, this will my first time there. If the weather is good, the race line is fast at Mid Ohio, they put a special coating on it that really grips when dry, and that is why it really sucks when wet. Watch some videos of Mid Ohio. Turn 1 is faster than you think, turn 2 has a late apex into a long straight, slight kink to the right. Get on the brakes early for turn three, it is a hard right hander after that long straight. As you get more used to it you can brake later. The next section is really nice, you feel like you are on a roller coaster. Watch you acceleration going into turn 4. The track climbs into 4, a left hander, and then drops away towards them end of the turn. People who get on the gas too early loose grip with their front tires here as the front end gets light and have watched a lot of cars go off the track there. The only other thing to mention right now is that the last turn before coming back towards the front straight is a late apex and be careful, there is a ridge in the track that could disrupt the car. last time I was there a couple of cars got bounced there and hit the wall. If it rains, that is also an area that puddles.

Good luck and hope to see you at the Glen. What number is your car?

Jim
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by 1795; 06-03-2020 at 03:49 AM..
Old 06-02-2020, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First off thanks for your insight on Mid-Ohio. The car is #74, Sapphire Blue with white stripes, here's a video shot by the previous owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3sTWzMLFY
1795 likes this.

6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

What a nice job Jim, of describing Mid-Ohio You Sir, have turned the corner (Get it ), into a seasoned racer, Congrants Jim, Now your helping other's. That's what it all about, Cheers Tom.
1795 likes this.