Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Rear braced roll bar (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143779-rear-braced-roll-bar.html)

Michael C Henry 06-30-2020 02:45 PM

Rear braced roll bar

I'm going to install a passenger side roll bar, I'm trying to get it as close to a mirror of my original driver side roll bar. I've gone through all the papers that came with the car in 99. He bought lots of stuff . Never saw anything about a roll bar. My new soft top fits over the original driver side roll bar and will allow me to have the same on the other side and it all fits with out need for any alterations to the new soft top. Sources and advise all accepted. Black, painted, rear braced. Where to start?
I did find that the "Y" shoulder straps I have,were from Simpson.

Michael C Henry 06-30-2020 10:03 PM

What don't I know? Where do I start? Everett Morrison isn't answering their messages again.

133bus 07-01-2020 04:21 AM

My roll bar is made of stainless steel..1 1/2" by 0.20 thick...I removed mine and took measurements and made up drawing with those dimensions and had a company that only works with tube and pipe make two mandrel bent roll bars...I was only going to have one made but decided to have two made instead just in case the one they made didn't match...I had to buy a whole length of tubing anyway and was able to get two made out of one length...They didn't put the brace on for me..just cut them two length and all out of the same length of tube..I had them shipped to my door and all in they cost me around 250.00 for two stainless steel roll bars..I made my own short stub tube to have welded onto the roll bar and had a local welder weld it on for me..I cut the straight length supplied to the right length...cut the holes in the body myself..welded in pickup points and you would think it came like that..and I have a spare hanging on the wall...steve

1985 CCX 07-01-2020 09:37 AM

I would call John Bessey, think he has the bender and could duplicate.
You may want to make two so they are a match or send him yours and have it duplicated.
He is in CA

email/text me and I'll get you his #

Michael C Henry 07-03-2020 07:47 PM

My car came back with the new Top. It fits over the original roll bar and would accommodate the same on the passenger side. My task is to acquire the grommets and roll bar cross member like the old ones. I went to Finish Line Cobra Accessories as before. Now they are showing 2" roll bar grommets and cross member. My roll bar is 1 1/2" dia. round pipe painted black bet its thicker than 0.020" While looking through the files I received with the car ,21 years ago, I found where I had purchased the roll bar grommets and cross member from Finish Line Cobra accessories way back in the past. They show 2 " roll bar grommets and cross bar now. I inquired but do not expect any help from them now. So does anybody know where I could buy the 1 1/2" roll bar grommets and the cross member now?

spdbrake 07-03-2020 08:04 PM

#15158 - Mk4 Roadster Roll Bar Grommets - Factory Five Parts Catalog

https://actoncobra.com/index.php?mai...index&cPath=53

Michael C Henry 07-03-2020 09:48 PM

I like that the grommets looked to be based around the 1 1/2" roll bars they offer. and the second link. The cross member is made to fit an exact width roll bar where the One I have and want to duplicate is made to clamp on the 1 1/2" roll bar tube but the width is adjustable with the all thread and SS tube cover. Thank you.

Michael C Henry 07-12-2020 10:47 AM

The main object is to duplicate (mirror) the original functional driver side 1 1/2" roll bar and rear brace as mounted on an Everett- Morrison 427 Cobra replica built back in 1984. I do not see any way other than having the hoop formed and the other pieces notched, test fitted, tack welded, removed from car, and then finished welded. and My mission now is to acquire the parts to copy of the cross member that i bought over ten years ago from Finish Line Cobra Accessories. as closely as possible and come up with two sets of bezels and grommets - gaskets for 1 1/2" tubes. preferably with Stainless Steel bezels and the 1 1/2" holes in the gaskets- grommets. Polished aluminum is a second choice. I have some time to look for this stuff and may have to settle for less at a later time. But right now, i want this. While just supposing I may end up having two new roll bars of 2" tubing made and buy the 2" crossmembers and bezel available now. The system just seems out to get as much of my money as possible. If I had it made this way back then, it would all be paid for by now. Of coarse My address would have be on a card board box also.

Sydney 07-12-2020 05:39 PM

Hi Mike,

I happen to have a couple of the roll bar cross members that I purchased from Finish Line about 10 years ago still new in the dusty boxes. I guess if I haven't used them by now, I never will. if you're interested, make me an offer I can't refuse.

McMaster Carr has the plain grommets in the right size if you can get by with that.

Sydney

Michael C Henry 07-12-2020 07:25 PM

If you bought them for 1 1/2" roll bar, I'm interested. I have not been able to connect up with my local first choice to get a set of the clamps made. How many sets will have to buy?

Michael C Henry 07-12-2020 09:50 PM

It has been probably over ten years since i bought and installed.. I don't remember if the cross member came with a piece of polished Stainless Steel 3/4" OD tubing to cover the 1/2" all thread or is that something I added?

Sydney 07-12-2020 10:14 PM

I'll sell just one if you like. Mine has the 3/4" OD tube, but it appears to be chrome plated steel. It is not stainless.

Michael C Henry 07-12-2020 10:22 PM

How about $60 plus shipping? Figure shipping cost to 98409-1551

Michael C Henry 07-12-2020 10:49 PM

As I remember I bought a length of polished Stainless thick wall tubing from EM and I cut to fit and had SS washers TIGged to the ends of the tube. EM uses the thick wall SS. tubing on the bumper to brackets inside the body. It was so long ago EM was still in Florida. If EM said SS it was SS. TIG is meant to abbreviate Tungsten and Inert gas electric arc welding.

Michael C Henry 07-13-2020 08:27 AM

Would you happen to have a set of three (two round and one Oval) bright work bezels with rubbers that Finish Line Cobra Accessories sold to fit 1 1/2" tubes way back then?

Sydney 07-13-2020 11:07 AM

(How about $60 plus shipping? Figure shipping cost to 98409-1551)

Mike, that sounds reasonable. Shipping looks to be about $12.00 to your location. Unless you would like to meet some where in the middle of the state and you could try before you buy. All I have are plain rubber grommets.

Sydney

Michael C Henry 07-13-2020 01:19 PM

The clamping parts should be made of 2" OD material and have pieces of rubber to install between the clamp and the 1 1/2" roll bar tubing make up the difference and give a non slip fit. the. If the clamping brackets are 2' OD, you got it covered. the spacing of the two roll bar legs is adjustable with the shiny tube in the back and the all thread. You have to cut that cross tube so when under tension the end clamps with the eye bolts are held facing forward. reach me at
mikes427@net-venture.com
I'll be with you shortly.

Michael C Henry 07-15-2020 04:11 PM

The cross member part of this saga seems to be taken care of THANK YOU. The remaining issue is the bezels and grommets for where the roll bar tube goes through the fiber glass. The bezels I have now were from Finish Line Cobra Accessories over ten years ago for 1 1/2" roll bar tubing Finish Line doesn't do 1 1/2 any longer, "they do have 2" stuff now. So u less some one has a stash of 1/ 1/2"the same bezels and grommets that Finish Line sold I'm looking at buying two new sets. I see the FFR stuff polished aluminum an it is for my size . Polished aluminum looks great for a while, SS usually not as bright initally but seems to be for ever. Before I jump I'd like to hold out for bezels made of SS please. The club has come through before I'm hopping someone will know where i can buy what I really want .Please two new sets of 1 1/2" SS roll bar bezels and grommets.

Michael C Henry 07-16-2020 06:44 PM

Thank you Sydney. The cross member came today, a day early.. It is the correct one. I have a piece of 3/4 316L 0.065" thick wall 12" long stainless tubing on order to replace the chromed pipe I intend on getting two SS nuts and two SS acorn nuts at a local screw store along with SS washers to have TIGged to the tubing ends. Thank you again Sydney.
Nothing new on the quest for the wanted SS 1 12" roll bar bezels and grommets. I may have to start another thread to get read and answered.

Sydney 07-16-2020 08:47 PM

Good news Mike. I'm glad it will work for you.

Sydney