Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Starting to troubleshoot my inop dash gauge lighting

My dash gauges are Smiths, using a rotary rheostat type lighting switch. Given that electrical is definitely my least knowledgeable area, I could use a bit of help troubleshooting this.

On the back of the rotary switch/dimmer that controls the gauge lighting, there are only two wires. Am I correct in thinking that if I jump across these two wires, the lights should come on if the switch is bad, effectively closing the circuit and taking the switch out of the circuit. Then, if the lights don't come on I would have to investigate further as it's likely an issue in the circuitry?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Or to be safe disconnect the hot lead of the switch (pull the fuse) and use an ohm-meter across the leads of the switch while turning and closing the switch.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Or to be safe disconnect the hot lead of the switch (pull the fuse) and use an ohm-meter across the leads of the switch while turning and closing the switch.
what would that do? you say " ohm meter" are you implying checking for resistance across the 2 wires? Im confused...
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
what would that do? you say " ohm meter" are you implying checking for resistance across the 2 wires? Im confused...
With the hot lead (12v positive) disconnected from the rheostat input, we can then read the rheostat resistance with an ohmmeter while moving the rheostat dial.

I would check for 12v positive at the input lead with a voltmeter, DVM or DMM, digital voltmeter/digital multimeter.

Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-11-2020, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
With the hot lead (12v positive) disconnected from the rheostat input, we can then read the rheostat resistance with an ohmmeter while moving the rheostat dial.

I would check for 12v positive at the input lead with a voltmeter, DVM or DMM, digital voltmeter/digital multimeter.

Gary
What he said.

Except I still have my Radio Shack VOM with a dial meter. Still in the original box. It's got to be close to 50 years old now. Works fine, has lasted a long time. I had a Heathkit VTVM but it was too large and clumsy for most things. I used it when building the Heathkit TV but I think I gave it to Goodwill decades ago.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 07-11-2020 at 08:21 PM..
Old 07-11-2020, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

he should be able to simply bypass the rheostat and touch the 2 wires together and the lights should come on.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
he should be able to simply bypass the rheostat and touch the 2 wires together and the lights should come on.
Yes, that would be correct, if the rheostat is the fault.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks what I was thinking, quick and easy. I don't even have to remove the rheostat from the dash to do it. In fact I'm thinking I don't even have to remove the wires from the rheostat to do it, just connect a jumper between the two wires on the back, that should bypass the switch and the lights should come on if the circuit is good. No?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Thanks what I was thinking, quick and easy. I don't even have to remove the rheostat from the dash to do it. In fact I'm thinking I don't even have to remove the wires from the rheostat to do it, just connect a jumper between the two wires on the back, that should bypass the switch and the lights should come on if the circuit is good. No?
Yes, just a jumper in parallel will bypass the rheostat, 0 ohms (jumper) in parallel with example 50 ohms (rheostat) equals 0 ohms. Lights should be full bright if rheostat is faulty.

Last edited by Gaz64; 07-12-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Old 07-12-2020, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

If your dash lights are dim, I suggest removing the dimmer completely. The dash bulbs never get a full 12v even with the dimmer full on. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net