Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing - 302 SBF EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Need help identifying the manufacturer.

Hello New Friends,

I'm looking for some assistance in identifying the manufacturer of a replica. I was told that it was a kit from Ultimate Classic Cars in Texas but I'm not confident that is correct. One of the reasons is that the current owner said it has a 98" wheelbase but UCC's are listed at 94". I'll share some pics to help and if there is any other info that would narrow it down let me know and I'll check it out. I would be the 4th owner of a kit that's never been completed so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before jumping in. Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

As with others who've posted similar questions asking it this way isn't enough information. We're going to need pictures at a minimum of the exterior side, front and rear, inside the trunk box, inside the engine compartment. Interior including instrument panel, seats, footboxes including pedals... Turn the wheels and try to get the front suspension. Whatever you can get of the rear suspensions, both from a lift if you can. If you can get it on a lift then undercarriage. The more the better.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony. I tried to post some pictures but it doesn't appear I was successful. I'm brand new to the forum and trying to figure out the format.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabbott74 View Post
Thanks Tony. I tried to post some pictures but it doesn't appear I was successful. I'm brand new to the forum and trying to figure out the format.
Are they too large? Try to resize them down. High resolution isn't needed. Also, I'm not sure if there is a "newbie timeout" where you may need to wait a bit or make a few posts before you can add pictures.

Another method is to upload them to one of the photosharing sites and then post a link here.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was able to upload them to an album and tried to share them from there. It looked like it was working but then said it must be approved by a moderator. I'm guessing newbie jail. I'll keep trying.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 07-17-2020, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Did you try attaching them directly to the post? Use the paperclip.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let's try this for now -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgMQ3h3k2xSLmbdDA
Old 07-17-2020, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Nobody can tell you who is the MFR ? Seller has no paperwork ? Ask your local DMV how you would go about getting title, registration, etc.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried to attach the photos 3 different ways unsuccessfully. The link below works. I'll tey to get a few more pics added. Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Nobody can tell you who is the MFR ? Seller has no paperwork ? Ask your local DMV how you would go about getting title, registration, etc.
The guy bought it from a friend a couple of years ago and hasn't touched it since. He is trying to track down the paperwork. I spoke with the tag office and inspector where I am in North Carolina. The inspector said the simplest route was to have the seller register it in his state which is Georgia. According to him you can title a goat in GA lol. Hopefully he'll find the folder with the docs. If anyone has any other thoughts from the photos it might help. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

advice: Run away as fast as you can!

4th owner of a car never completed that is of unknown origin. Most states require paper trails of every part, especially documentation from the kit manufacturer with manufactures number on both the car and the paperwork that matches. You may not be able to tittle it.

If it is given to you for free, the amount of work and cost ahead of you will not be worth it.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Can't say I've ever seen a torsion bar set up for the front suspension like that. Almost want to say it's a vets and gas kit (cobra ray), but their front suspension set up is not like what is shown in your picture, maybe an earlier version of their current offering. Personally, I'd walk away from this one as an unknown money pit.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 07-18-2020 at 03:37 AM..
Old 07-18-2020, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
advice: Run away as fast as you can!

4th owner of a car never completed that is of unknown origin. Most states require paper trails of every part, especially documentation from the kit manufacturer with manufactures number on both the car and the paperwork that matches. You may not be able to tittle it.

If it is given to you for free, the amount of work and cost ahead of you will not be worth it.
My thoughts exactly. My comment is "what are the odds it has a fifth owner in a year?"
Old 07-18-2020, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The guy bought it from a friend a couple of years ago and hasn't touched it since. He is trying to track down the paperwork. I spoke with the tag office and inspector where I am in North Carolina. The inspector said the simplest route was to have the seller register it in his state which is Georgia. According to him you can title a goat in GA lol. Hopefully he'll find the folder with the docs. If anyone has any other thoughts from the photos it might help. Thanks.
I don’t know how any state would title a pile of parts on a garage floor with no engine to boot.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I had to guess, it is a Street Beast or CMC since there is no gas inlet on the rear quarter. The door hinges do not look right though, but the area behind the seats and the inner fenders look correct.

Either way, without an MSO, I would walk away. Not worth the hassle and you will spend $30k putting it together and have a $20k car in the end.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Neutral     

This fits the description of being penny wise and pound foolish. The car may look cheap, but it won't be. You could buy an FFR for less than you will have in this.

I wouldn't walk away; I would run.

John
Ron61 and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Consider carefully the advice:

If you bought it, write it off. Sawzall and dumpster.

If you haven't bought it, run, don't walk, since you'll have way more in fabrication to finish it than buying a new kit from any of the current manufacturers. And in the end it'll be a one-time that won't ever even come close to selling for what you've got into it.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Can't say I've ever seen a torsion bar set up for the front suspension like that. Almost want to say it's a vets and gas kit (cobra ray), but their front suspension set up is not like what is shown in your picture, maybe an earlier version of their current offering. Personally, I'd walk away from this one as an unknown money pit.
To me those look more like radius rod mounts than torsion bar mounts. I don't see adjusters on the UCAs, so it's not a Mustang II front end. Perhaps there are eccentrics on the UCAs for camber and caster adjustment.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

That’s not a UCC Cobra. Here’s a pic from my build.
Attached Images

Tags
brand, manufacturers