Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   tach and speedo problem (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143930-tach-speedo-problem.html)

Steve Gallegos 08-10-2020 12:36 PM

tach and speedo problem

Tach- at running speed when tach should be at 2500 it vacillates between 2000 and 3000. if at 3000 goes between 2000 and 4000. then stops for awhile then does it again.
Speedo- will be running steady at 60mph then swings down to 20mph then up to 100 back to 20 then will steady out. does this periodically.

strictlypersonl 08-10-2020 03:53 PM

What brand instruments are they? Mechanical? Electrical?
What ignition system are you using?
Is the car stuttering when the gauges are malfunctioning?
What is the ammeter/voltmeter showing?

strictlypersonl 08-10-2020 03:57 PM

duplicate post...
Not my fault.

jhv48 08-10-2020 06:23 PM

If you have an electric speedo and tach, you’ve got a wiring problem. Probably loose connection in the fuse box.
When my tach fluctuated, that solved the problem.
If you’ve got a mechanical speedo, the problems are separate and unrelated.

cycleguy55 08-10-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos (Post 1481085)
Tach- at running speed when tach should be at 2500 it vacillates between 2000 and 3000. if at 3000 goes between 2000 and 4000. then stops for awhile then does it again.
Speedo- will be running steady at 60mph then swings down to 20mph then up to 100 back to 20 then will steady out. does this periodically.

Mine used to fluctuate as well, but that went away when I replaced my Ford large frame 1G alternator with a Ford 3G alternator. I don't know whether I had a bad alternator diode, bad grounds, poor wire connections or a flaky voltage regulator, but the problems all disappeared after changing the alternator and re-wiring for the 3G and its internal voltage regulator.

rodneym 08-10-2020 07:41 PM

I had the same problem over 10 years ago in my (then) SPF. Blas told me to clean the contact on the distributor cap. Solved.

Blas 08-11-2020 05:15 AM

(Up-Dated)
For Tach: Erosion of the center contact graphite on the cap caused by wear or improper adjustment of the spring contact on the rotor.

For Speedo: Cable routing and/or cable lubrication. If replacement cable, could be a bit too long. If original cable in same position, untouched, add gauge to list.

Chassis numbers would be nice.

Blas

RD31 08-11-2020 04:57 PM

If you are running mechanical gauges check to make sure they aren't bent to much. If the bend radius of the cables is too tight they will chatter and fluctuate as you described.

Hiss67 08-14-2020 06:04 AM

Check your grounds. I had a similar issue.