Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   windshield replacement (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143997-windshield-replacement.html)

CJ428CJ 09-04-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

I am hoping CJ428CJ, or anyone else who has used one, is still reading this thread and has enough time on his replacement windshield to be able to add some real world experience to the behavior of the protected versions of the polycarbonate and/or lexan alternatives.
I've only had mine installed for a month or two so I can't vouch for it's longevity or scratch resistance. However, I did do some research before purchasing and I found a number of positive reviews (on ClubCobra) regarding the Cobra Valley windshield. I didn't find anyone that complained or gave it a bad review (other than the potential messy install). I'll know more in a year or two. :)

incoming 09-04-2020 06:09 PM

I have experience with both Lexan and Poly windshields. I ride a Harley FXRT and need taller than stock windshields. Have had it many years. I also work in the commercial kitchen equipment industry and have a lot of sneeze guards and such custom cut and bent.

I personally wouldn't use either unless absolutely necessary for a car unless she's a trailer queen.

Through experience on long rides, my windshield comes off with a couple of screws and goes into the bathtub at the motel to soak to remove bugs.

Poly is a little better but not much.

I do use a silicone based stuff given to me to clean my windshields. Looks like old school Armor All. Supposed to make stuff not stick to it.

Is there a hidden reason you are cracking windshields?

BAsque1 09-05-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1482120)
I don't believe a polycarbonate / Lexan windshield would conform to this requirement, in which case a VI (Vehicle Inspection) here (Saskatchewan, Canada) would take it off the road:

The vehicle shall have a windshield that is of laminated safety glass conforming to ANSI Z26.1, type AS-1 or AS-10 and is so marked.

Same here in NYS, that would not fly, I had a real hard time with our WCC source to get a windshield a few years ago after a pebble nick it not fun!!~:mad::mad::mad:

Azhinoon 09-05-2020 04:44 AM

Hidden reason are small rocks. Going to stay with glass i think. Cobra Valley not open until Tuesday

eschaider 09-05-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming (Post 1482189)
I have experience with both Lexan and Poly windshields. I ride a Harley FXRT and need taller than stock windshields. Have had it many years. I also work in the commercial kitchen equipment industry and have a lot of sneeze guards and such custom cut and bent.

I personally wouldn't use either unless absolutely necessary for a car unless she's a trailer queen.

Through experience on long rides, my windshield comes off with a couple of screws and goes into the bathtub at the motel to soak to remove bugs.

I do use a silicone based stuff given to me to clean my windshields. Looks like old school Armor All. Supposed to make stuff not stick to it.

The windscreen frame is a soft aluminum, I believe, and quite flexible. Some of the screws used to attach or hold things together, I suspect but don't know with certainty, abrade against the edge of the glass producing a fracture point much like scribing a line on a glass pane with a glass cutting scribe. Sooner or later a bump in the road pushes the windshield against the offending fastener once to often and you have a cracked windshield.

Ed

twobjshelbys 09-05-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1482207)
The windscreen frame is a soft aluminum, I believe, and quite flexible. Some of the screws used to attach or hold things together, I suspect but don't know with certainty, abrade against the edge of the glass producing a fracture point much like scribing a line on a glass pane with a glass cutting scribe. Sooner or later a bump in the road pushes the windshield against the offending fastener once to often and you have a cracked windshield.

Ed

Indeed. It is some of the screws that hold on the side wings that are usually a tad too log and can go beyond the frame and then touch the glass. It doesn't take much when the frame flexes for it to touch the glass from the side and crack it. When removing one of those mounted to the frame always put the screws back in the same location and don't overtighten wne replacing them.

Mark IV 09-05-2020 12:25 PM

Also ensure that the stanchions are tight to the body structure before you torque them. We have seen several screens busted because there was 3/16" or more of gap and when the bolts were tightened, the stanchions pulled on the frame and caused the glass to crack. Snug fit before tightening is the rule.

Azhinoon 09-10-2020 04:18 PM

I went ahead and got the windshield From Cobra Valley. The only reason was because Karl says it is the best !!! So did Dan . Thanks for the advice all. Not selling Cobra until after I die so the next one can solve the approved windshield issue.

efrost 09-11-2020 04:34 AM

I repaired road rash to the original installed windshield using Safelite for years ….. Ray is a true professional craftsman. Then I caught a piece of road debris one afternoon and it total destroyed the frame and original windshield. The factory replacement frame/windshield installation was done by a team not burdened with the knowledge/skillset of cobras. Long story short the replacement windshield was likely installed in a bind/tweaked. The glass cracked in multiple areas after the first rock strike.

Interesting enough I also choose the Cobra Valley option this time around. A few thousand miles and smiles later.... well I still need a state inspection sticker but I can’t tell it’s not real glass by looking at it. I will ask the inspector to stick the state inspection sticker to a piece of cell phone screen protector glass and stick that to the windshield. Sticking the inspection directly on the windshield would be fine until someone uses a razorblade to scrape it off when its time to replace the inspection sticker.

eschaider 09-11-2020 11:29 PM

How long have you had the Cobra Valley windscreen? How do you clean it and does it show any signs of scratching?

Thx, Ed

joyridin' 09-12-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming (Post 1482189)

You do know Lexan is polycarbonate right? Lexan is just a brand name for polycarbonate.

There are different grades of polycarbonate. Scratch resistant Lexan M10 is what you should be using.

efrost 09-12-2020 07:26 AM

I bought/installed the windshield last December and have just under 1500 miles of seat time with it. As far as cleaning I just use the same detail spray I use on the car. The lovebugs and other bugs wipe right off..... no scratches or any sign of it not being glass.

Same for the wind wings and sun visors now that I think about it. They may have fine scratches on them but I'm sure they would polish out with little effort. I would guess the windshield and wind wings/visors are two different quality materials. Now I babbling about something I no nothing about. Bottom line is I'm very satisfied with the plastic windshield.

Azhinoon 09-16-2020 04:22 PM

.windshield arrived. The packaging weighs more than the windshield. Now the fun begins

Azhinoon 09-16-2020 07:00 PM

Took about an hour. Reused the old black rubber gasket being less than two years old. Still pliable. Add on another half hour finding two small screws. Looks great. I use the rod to secure for a top so did not glue windshield. Will see how all goes on the Coronado Trail run in 10 days

eschaider 09-16-2020 09:20 PM

Congrats on mission accomplished. Your experience with the clarity and durability of the new windshield over time will be quite interesting. I want to believe it is going to be a good experience.

Ed

tortuga 01-10-2021 06:40 PM

In a hearbeat

The Cobra Valley unit has been installed on my spf for quite a few miles and is quite scratch free...

We were really impressed when something heavy hit it HARD, end left but a small nick...i know that hit would have taken out glass...

We probably have 20k miles driven with the screen.

SteveH

scootter 01-11-2021 08:47 PM

My SPF was done is 2002. I've had it since 2003 with about 55k miles. I now have my fourth and last stock SPF windshield broke. I've had rock hits each time except this last crack that magically appeared from the center bottom up????
I will also be installing the Cobra Valley windshield. It's my understanding since it is lighter, you need to glue it in, not use the gasket?
Scott

Azhinoon 01-12-2021 07:37 AM

I used the thin rubber gasket and windex as a lubricant with some select words in the process. Had three glass breaks so went this way. I still used the bracket from top to bottom so did not have to glue. Cleans up easily and so far the right choice.

xlr8tr 01-12-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1482209)
Indeed. It is some of the screws that hold on the side wings that are usually a tad too log and can go beyond the frame and then touch the glass. It doesn't take much when the frame flexes for it to touch the glass from the side and crack it. When removing one of those mounted to the frame always put the screws back in the same location and don't overtighten wne replacing them.

LOL- exactly this happened to me, operator error overtightened. I've been living with the crack as its on the low corner passenger side, but got a rock dead center when moving it into its winter storage :(

Andheeezonit 01-13-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efrost (Post 1482450)
I repaired road rash to the original installed windshield using Safelite for years ….. Ray is a true professional craftsman. Then I caught a piece of road debris one afternoon and it total destroyed the frame and original windshield. The factory replacement frame/windshield installation was done by a team not burdened with the knowledge/skillset of cobras. Long story short the replacement windshield was likely installed in a bind/tweaked. The glass cracked in multiple areas after the first rock strike.

Interesting enough I also choose the Cobra Valley option this time around. A few thousand miles and smiles later.... well I still need a state inspection sticker but I can’t tell it’s not real glass by looking at it. I will ask the inspector to stick the state inspection sticker to a piece of cell phone screen protector glass and stick that to the windshield. Sticking the inspection directly on the windshield would be fine until someone uses a razorblade to scrape it off when its time to replace the inspection sticker.

You won’t have to worry about scraping the SI sticker. They don’t really adhere to the poly shield. They will stay but you can take them off with a thumbnail. Shields Supershield is the manufacturer and they are nice!